Squad movements, summer 2018

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I contacted my Latics source and an old mate at Leicester a few weeks ago to liaise on a keeper and a striker.

The striker situation may not happen as LCFC need to further assess what they have before any outgoings.

However, i understand there's a young striker from another Premiership club under discussion.

Michael Elstone from Fulham any good BP not seen him before. 

Just now, Ryan said:

Please no ??

Hardly surprising if what we have heard is true. We need a cohesive squad, not one that can be fractured by any individual(s). If that is what was happening with Byrne at the club, he has to go, no question. Exceptional talent, but just one rotten egg will damage the togetherness that FB and AR are striving for.

19 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Hardly surprising if what we have heard is true. We need a cohesive squad, not one that can be fractured by any individual(s). If that is what was happening with Byrne at the club, he has to go, no question. Exceptional talent, but just one rotten egg will damage the togetherness that FB and AR are striving for.

So where is he going to go? You cannot wave a magic wand he disappears off the books, he has a contract with the club. The reason we managed to sign him was because he came with a lot of `excess baggage' we took a chance-it may not have paid off this time.

23 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Is Dunford a reliable :sauce:?

Byrne was leaving as I’d just picked my ST up. Spoke to him and asked if he’d be playing again soon and he told me basically the same as what Jason Dunford’s tweet says. Said he’s training with the youth team. Asked him if Gerrard was training with the youth team too and he said no, cos they sacked Gerrard last night. Can’t see that last bit being true cos you can’t just sack football players, but I guess we will see.

27 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Is Dunford a reliable :sauce:?

Think he’s an agent so I’d imagine he will have a lot of contacts in the game. He gets quite a lot right and is certainly more reliable than 90% of the chancers on Twitter. He broke the Davies to Mansfield news a few days before it happened.

5 minutes ago, dave_ragg1984 said:

Byrne was leaving as I’d just picked my ST up. Spoke to him and asked if he’d be playing again soon and he told me basically the same as what Jason Dunford’s tweet says. Said he’s training with the youth team. Asked him if Gerrard was training with the youth team too and he said no, cos they sacked Gerrard last night. Can’t see that last bit being true cos you can’t just sack football players, but I guess we will see.

I imagine, but it's only my supposition, that we could pay off their contracts and bid them a (fond) farewell. Granted, that would certainly cost AL and arm and part of a leg at least but, if it rids the club of disruptive influences that destabilise the team, then so be it. I guess that's what you get for being a gobshite.

Edited by Bristolatic
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dave_ragg1984 said:

Byrne was leaving as I’d just picked my ST up. Spoke to him and asked if he’d be playing again soon and he told me basically the same as what Jason Dunford’s tweet says. Said he’s training with the youth team.....

Did you ask him why Dave?

Edited by lookersstandandy

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There’s no chance Bunn is calling the shots here. Our Dear Leader is on a mission to make the club sustainable by getting rid of the big earners.

You're sure about this? What if FB decided they were more trouble than they were worth and told AL that they were disrupting the harmony within the squad. AL says, "OK, leave it with me. I'll sort it out," FB says thank you very much. He's been quoted a number of times in interviews that he wants to maintain the togetherness of the squad. Not beyond the realms of possibility, is it?

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

Did you ask him why Dave?

No, I wish I had!

He did say he wants to play but “it’s not me, it’s the club, they’ve f****d me.” 

Said hes training with the youth team, so I asked about Gerrard. That’s when he said they’d sacked him. That shocked me a bit so I asked “sacked him?” He said yeah, sacked him last night via email...you could hear the disgust in his voice when he said “via email”. If true, that’s pretty out of order I think.

Asked him if he had anything lined up/any interest from other clubs and he said no.

I did think he might have been making the Gerrard thing up to see how quickly it went on Twitter/on here!

7 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

You're sure about this? What if FB decided they were more trouble than they were worth and told AL that they were disrupting the harmony within the squad. AL says, "OK, leave it with me. I'll sort it out," FB says thank you very much. He's been quoted a number of times in interviews that he wants to maintain the togetherness of the squad. Not beyond the realms of possibility, is it?

It’s just very coincidental that all of the ‘bad eggs’ happen to be the biggest wage drawers. If Bunn really did call the shots based on player’s personalities we wouldn’t be targeting the likes of Ishmael Miller who has been in trouble at multiple clubs for various misdemeanours. To me it’s as clear as day that these sackings are merely a cost cutting exercise by the owner.

Just now, Ryan said:

It’s just very coincidental that all of the ‘bad eggs’ happen to be the biggest wage drawers. If Bunn really did call the shots based on player’s personalities we wouldn’t be targeting the likes of Ishmael Miller who has been in trouble at multiple clubs for various misdemeanours. To me it’s as clear as day that these sackings are merely a cost cutting exercise by the owner.

OK, if you say so. Opinions and that.

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

OK, if you say so. Opinions and that.

I respect your opinion and obviously the only person who knows the truth is Abdallah himself - sorry if I’m coming across as a know it all as I genuinely don’t mean to. I would like to believe that Bunn is calling the shots but I’m struggling based on Abdallah’s interferences last season. I really hope I’m wrong!

Edited by Ryan

45 minutes ago, dave_ragg1984 said:

Does this mean you are no longer truly in the know given a previous tweet? 

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I respect your opinion and obviously the only person who knows the truth is Abdallah himself - sorry if I’m coming across as a know it all as I genuinely don’t mean to. I would like to believe that Bunn is calling the shots but I’m struggling based on Abdallah’s interferences last season. I really hope I’m wrong!

Fair do's,  but I would have imagined that a serious breach of contract (and this could be, but we don't know) would have been finally dealt with by the bloke that owns the company (in this case, OAFC) having been informed by a member of his senior staff (in this case, FB). Abdallah gave the Trust an assurance that he would not meddle in team affairs, but this situation could just be one where he had no option.

We'll find the truth behind it all one day, I hope.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

What I've seen on the pitch from FB so far is harmony in the team.

We have also seen a new keeper delighted to be here and a training session arrranged for fans to attend on 31st July.

AL has a lot of sorting to do off the field and let's hope all is well before the big kick off.

Edited by BP1960