Squad movements, summer 2018

Could we adapt a formation similar to Belguim? We could have Byrne and Baxter playing behing a large goalscoring centreforward. Two big lads in midfield, two fast wingbacks and three centrebacks.

Goalkeeper

Dummigan Edmundson Clarke Hamer Hunt 

Gardner      Coke

Baxter                  Byrne

anyone who scores goals

i think i'll send this to Frank asap. There's no way he's thought about it.

Just had a catch up following finishing work regarding Byrne and some comments surrounding the topic.

General consensus of Byrne last season, I think is pretty much accepted. That being...he was fantastic on loan, drove the team forward and looked a class act (akin Blackburn at home, Northampton at home, Portsmouth away). Since we signed him permanently and started struggling, he didn't do too much, however, he was played hopelessly out of position.

Now I accept, he was hopelessly out of position but that doesn't stop a player tracking back, getting involved or putting in a tackle. It also doesn't stop a player working hard for his teammates, he did none of this. 

Like I've said previously, the twice he looked anything like the loanee Jack Byrne he came on at half time on both occasions. Why couldn't he produce that in any of the games he started? Rather ridiculous really and at Northampton last game, he along with 8 others were absolutely woeful!

Once again, reiterating the fact that Jack Byrne could be and would be (with the right attitude and application) the best player in League Two, however the bit in brackets is a major issue and one the management team have to consider carefully. If I was Bunn, I would look to get rid as I have said previously, that said it isn't always as easy as that especially with him being on rumoured 6k a week. If he was to stay beyond the transfer window, he needs to be back involved. All that needs explaining to him is, be a world beater and quite comfortably the best player in League Two until January and should an offer come then we will let him have the final say and not stand in his way. We'll help him, if he helps himself and us type of thing. 

I guess time will tell but something has to give with the Byrne situation

2 hours ago, youngen said:

Hes not the sort of player "to put a shift in". When he plays number 10, he doesnt move massively, hes clever with his touch and the ball. He is way too lightweight to run around like a headless chicken just so it looks like he has tried. 

If you asked Fane to play up front you would be exactly the opposite. He would run around "putting a shift in" but wouldnt score a goal cos he cant kick it straight, so everyone would slag him off. Byrne did contribute still, but if youre going to play a shape which doesn't play to the best of his ability, then he shouldnt play. 

I thought that part of the problem was that  sometimes he did run around like a headless chicken rather than just doing his job.  Bit harsh on Fane; hard to kick the ball straight with a broken leg!

9 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Just had a catch up following finishing work regarding Byrne and some comments surrounding the topic.

General consensus of Byrne last season, I think is pretty much accepted. That being...he was fantastic on loan, drove the team forward and looked a class act (akin Blackburn at home, Northampton at home, Portsmouth away). Since we signed him permanently and started struggling, he didn't do too much, however, he was played hopelessly out of position.

Now I accept, he was hopelessly out of position but that doesn't stop a player tracking back, getting involved or putting in a tackle. It also doesn't stop a player working hard for his teammates, he did none of this. 

Like I've said previously, the twice he looked anything like the loanee Jack Byrne he came on at half time on both occasions. Why couldn't he produce that in any of the games he started? Rather ridiculous really and at Northampton last game, he along with 8 others were absolutely woeful!

Once again, reiterating the fact that Jack Byrne could be and would be (with the right attitude and application) the best player in League Two, however the bit in brackets is a major issue and one the management team have to consider carefully. If I was Bunn, I would look to get rid as I have said previously, that said it isn't always as easy as that especially with him being on rumoured 6k a week. If he was to stay beyond the transfer window, he needs to be back involved. All that needs explaining to him is, be a world beater and quite comfortably the best player in League Two until January and should an offer come then we will let him have the final say and not stand in his way. We'll help him, if he helps himself and us type of thing. 

I guess time will tell but something has to give with the Byrne situation

That's about spot on. Wellens said he played him wide right because of our injury situation, which Byrne new all about. He should have been willing to help out and be more disciplined by not drifting into the centre leaving the full back exposed.

Guest Stanley30
1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Could we adapt a formation similar to Belguim? We could have Byrne and Baxter playing behing a large goalscoring centreforward. Two big lads in midfield, two fast wingbacks and three centrebacks.

Goalkeeper

Gardner      Coke

anyone who scores goals

Love this :)

27 minutes ago, al_bro said:

That's about spot on. Wellens said he played him wide right because of our injury situation, which Byrne new all about. He should have been willing to help out and be more disciplined by not drifting into the centre leaving the full back exposed.

I don't understand this injury situation comment!  Who was injured that required Byrne to play wide right?

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Goalkeeper

Gardner      Coke

anyone who scores goals

Missilou for coke and Taylor at left back and sell one of hunt/dummigan then it could work. 

Dont think  he’s even considering 3/5 at the back though seeing as he’s not played it yet. Looks like 451/442 so far

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I don't understand this injury situation comment!  Who was injured that required Byrne to play wide right?

Its worth pointing out to that Byrne played the majority of this season as a wide right midfielder and played some of his best performances from that position. His finest performance was the Blackburn home game he played rigjt mid but given the licence to roam.

What Wellens got right was when he took over from sheridan he switched from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 Byrne moved to right mid nepo went left mid Gardener and Fane in the centre it worked initially. When it stopped working he didnt know how to change it. Which proved why he wasnt cut out for being a manager at this stage in his career he lacked a proper plan B. 

Alot of Byrnes dip in form in the second half of the season can be attributed to the fact that pitches deteriorate making it harder to play passing football and the ball players like him suffer the most as you have to go long. 

Going forwards hes going to have to adapt to this, and while its not his natrual game to chase balls into the channels or put big crunching tackles in he can still make a contribution and hes going to have to figure out how to adapt.

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’m confused how people say bryne is lazy and never tracks back, but then in the same breath say he wants the ball all the time and is back to the defence wanting the ball?

When we have the ball he tries to do everyones job when we don't have it he does knowones job. Its not as much laziness as it is realising hes part of a team.

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’m confused how people say bryne is lazy and never tracks back, but then in the same breath say he wants the ball all the time and is back to the defence wanting the ball?

Tracking back involves picking up an opponent who's moving towards our goal not just wandering back when our goalie or defenders have the ball.

For how many years have we been saying that it's wrong to put square in round holes and been critical of managers who did so. And here we are again with the difference being blame the player and not the manager. After the first couple of matches of playing Byrne wide right, it was clear he wasn't right for that position but Wellens persisted.

I'm not sure what Wellens hoped to achieve by playing him there.....he's not a tackler, he's not a winger and he's not blessed with pace so to ask him to become a team player is not going to improve those areas in his game or help the team. Would have been better and more sold playing Hamer there.

9 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

For how many years have we been saying that it's wrong to put square in round holes and been critical of managers who did so. And here we are again with the difference being blame the player and not the manager. After the first couple of matches of playing Byrne wide right, it was clear he wasn't right for that position but Wellens persisted.

I'm not sure what Wellens hoped to achieve by playing him there.....he's not a tackler, he's not a winger and he's not blessed with pace so to ask him to become a team player is not going to improve those areas in his game or help the team. Would have been better and more sold playing Hamer there.

Can agree to some extent with this but maybe Byrne didn't fancy playing there so didn't lift a leg to track back to help his teammates. We've probably all done jobs that haven't suited or we thought below our perceived status but you just get on with it and try to impress on your superiors what you'd be better at. 

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Can agree to some extent with this but maybe Byrne didn't fancy playing there so didn't lift a leg to track back to help his teammates. We've probably all done jobs that haven't suited or we thought below our perceived status but you just get on with it and try to impress on your superiors what you'd be better at. 

But, to use your argument, I would say Wellens knew his best position was a CM already so to stick him out wide unsettled the player, the team and was counter productive.

I would also hazard a guess that if it was Wellens being asked to play out wide, he would have had a proper strop...…..this is just poor man-management and team-selection. 

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:
40 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

But, to use your argument, I would say Wellens knew his best position was a CM already so to stick him out wide unsettled the player, the team and was counter productive.

I would also hazard a guess that if it was Wellens being asked to play out wide, he would have had a proper strop...…..this is just poor man-management and team-selection. 

Perhaps Wellens thought that centre mid was his best position but he was hoping he could do a job on the right side of midfield to accommodate others, and was proved wrong.

As I've said before he could be a match winner at our level if he wants to be, but fear he won't fit in with the current regime, or maybe any. This would be a great shame for Oldham Athletic, football in general but more specifically for Byrne himself.

Edited by Bobledgersheart

Anyone got anymore about whether it was Byrne that broke Fane’s ankle, and whether it has been perceived as accidental or deliberate?

Because if it was deliberate we shouldn’t  even be having this debate, he should be out of the door.

9 minutes ago, Boys in Blue said:

Someone might speculate but only Byrne can be 100% sure. I agree that he should go if he meant it, but if he’s just crap at tackling but was really trying to impress FB by showing commitment, that’s another thing altogether.

If he’s been suspended within the club though because of the tackle it can’t have been viewed as accidental by the management team surely?