Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to assess our performance once the 'referee' allowed Rochdale to either hold or blatantly give our strikers a push.  Having the moral high ground is wonderful but once our players see what a 'referee' is prepared to accept on the physical side of the game they must join in.  Had they done so it would have been interesting to see if the 'referee' was truly as biased as he seemed to be - for example waving on a free kick taken by Rochdale from the wrong position and with a moving ball.

Sending off was a surprise as was the 'referee' ignoring a melee of players and then, I assume, booking Clarke for dissent when he said something.

Just before the penalty some idiot threw something at the 'assistant'.  'Referee' was called over and given said item.  Jogged back, a shot at close range hit a hand and the 'referee' couldn't wait to award the penalty.  There really isn't any point supporting a football team when the most important player on the pitch is time and again a bad referee.  That was the first time in 27 years of supporting Latics that I have walked out before the end.

Finally it seems to me that the gatemen can't count because I'm sure we had more than 911.  Now why would they do that?

3 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Any coincidence the bloke dealing with the football administration side Richard Cooper has today joined Fleetwood Town as secretary..

Apparently the rules were changed quietly after group stage so no bollocks were in fact dropped.

6 minutes ago, Hands on said:

There really isn't any point supporting a football team when the most important player on the pitch is time and again a bad referee.

I’ve said it on here (and to anyone within earshot!) that there are no decent referees any more. They simply have no room for manoeuvre in decision making - It has coincided with the way that referees are scrutinised. It is also not helped by the players going down when the opposing player makes slight contact. The penalty awarded against us yesterday was an example of a referee allowing all this pressure to compromise his decision making. Furthermore the continued lack of discipline shown by the players to the match officials only compounds the problem.

Respect? You’re ‘avin’ a laugh ...

Just watched highlights from last night. Sending off looks more like a booking to me not helped by Maouche turning away as if he's shot somebody.

Most notable bit being when linesman ( looking right at protagonists ) runs away to avoid telling the ref what's occurred and thus evening the red cards up.

Kudos to Clarkey for not doing a "Tom Daley" when slapped.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Apparently some of our fans (or perhaps even only one) threw coins and a bin last night. If you did please f-off and support someone else, there’s never any need for criminal activity when supporting your football team.

Penalty awarded straight after the lino had handed over said coin....touch of 'fuck you Oldham' about it I think....

19 minutes ago, Gawbie said:

Penalty awarded straight after the lino had handed over said coin....touch of 'fuck you Oldham' about it I think....

Just watched the highlights. The pen... the ball is blasted at Clarke from a few yards - how the ref can believe that is a penalty only he knows. Shocking decision.

16 minutes ago, Gawbie said:

Obviously that would be wrong of them but let’s say Millwall fans were doing something similar and the Ref gave an iffy penalty against them we’d be all for it!

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Just watched the highlights. The pen... the ball is blasted at Clarke from a few yards - how the ref can believe that is a penalty only he knows. Shocking decision.

Agreed.

I've watched the highlights several times and the Red card isn't a red (its a yellow) not a dangerous, uncontrolled or over aggressive challenge.

The penalty is an absolute shocker, blasted at him from about a yard, ridiculous decision.

He also (conveniently) totally ignores Clarke being slapped in the face.

That's not incompetence, its just biased, how the hell is he a professional referee?

8 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Stats after 80 minutes were 25 shots to 1. 14 corners to 1. 

How that lad wasn't sent off for the punch at Clarke though, the second yellow when there lad brought Lang down, that free kick for nothing that they took on the edge of the area and the penalty that was given against are all ludicrous decisions. Disgusting. 

The stats for the shots are false,I suspect they count a cross into the 6 yard box as a shot.Also the ref decided that no matter who the ball came off he would give a corner to Rochdale.We  had about 4 shots in one attack in the first half.

3 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

Agreed.

I've watched the highlights several times and the Red card isn't a red (its a yellow) not a dangerous, uncontrolled or over aggressive challenge.

The penalty is an absolute shocker, blasted at him from about a yard, ridiculous decision.

He also (conveniently) totally ignores Clarke being slapped in the face.

That's not incompetence, its just biased, how the hell is he a professional referee?

The FA won't do anything, they need all the referees they can get, no matter how incompetent.

21 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Amazed anybody gives a shit about the game. Embarrassed that over 900 of our fans supported this aberration by turning up. 

20 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Maybe those 900 are embarrassed you'd judge them for wanting to go support their team?

I don't how I feel about these people who go to this. See on one hand going watching a football match should never be seen as a crime, especially when its your own team, but for me I want it to mean something.

See part of being loyal to something or someone is that you aren't afraid to challenge them or it. Im not sure I see these fans as loyal but more as obedient, dogs are obedient. They will just blindly support the club whatever they do. People can and do take advantage of that.

Its clear that the premier are clearly after putting B teams in the football league

That is a genuine threat to the future of our football club and of the fabric of English football. It was Jose mourinho who once said that England is the only country where a team from the 4th teir can go to a team in the top teir and give them a really tough game. 20 out of the 23 players in Englands world cup squad either came through the academies or were on loan at Football league clubs. Englands recent success was made in the football league.

How much did the likes of Dale Stephens, Ryan Bertrand and James Tarkowski get from serving their apprenticeships at Boundary Park. You put Man city u21s in the football league will their players get the same experience compared to being on loan with us or any other FL club. If they fail they won't get fans putting pressure on them or calling for the managers head their wont be job losses at man city if they got relegated fron league 1 to league 2. Those types of experience build character in people and experiences that you can't get playing for an academy team.

If we as fans just comply with this then we are going to let people damage English football for their own good. We shouldn't just assume it won't happen either because it can and will if we let it.

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

See part of being loyal to something or someone is that you aren't afraid to challenge them or it. Im not sure I see these fans as loyal but more as obedient, dogs are obedient.

Oh so 900 fans who went to watch their team are now compared to dogs. Did you read that after writing it?

What a ridiculous comparison. 

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

See part of being loyal to something or someone is that you aren't afraid to challenge them or it. Im not sure I see these fans as loyal but more as obedient, dogs are obedient. They will just blindly support the club whatever they do. People can and do take advantage of that

Your first sentence is frankly insulting. ‘Obedient’?  What are you on about? Obedient is when you do as you are told. The fans who went last night did so because they chose to - nothing else.  

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't how I feel about these people who go to this. See on one hand going watching a football match should never be seen as a crime, especially when its your own team, but for me I want it to mean something.

See part of being loyal to something or someone is that you aren't afraid to challenge them or it. Im not sure I see these fans as loyal but more as obedient, dogs are obedient. They will just blindly support the club whatever they do. People can and do take advantage of that.

Its clear that the premier are clearly after putting B teams in the football league

That is a genuine threat to the future of our football club and of the fabric of English football. It was Jose mourinho who once said that England is the only country where a team from the 4th teir can go to a team in the top teir and give them a really tough game. 20 out of the 23 players in Englands world cup squad either came through the academies or were on loan at Football league clubs. Englands recent success was made in the football league.

How much did the likes of Dale Stephens, Ryan Bertrand and James Tarkowski get from serving their apprenticeships at Boundary Park. You put Man city u21s in the football league will their players get the same experience compared to being on loan with us or any other FL club. If they fail they won't get fans putting pressure on them or calling for the managers head their wont be job losses at man city if they got relegated fron league 1 to league 2. Those types of experience build character in people and experiences that you can't get playing for an academy team.

If we as fans just comply with this then we are going to let people damage English football for their own good. We shouldn't just assume it won't happen either because it can and will if we let it.

If they really want it (which personally I don't think they do) it will happen, it's as simple as that.

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Your first sentence is frankly insulting. ‘Obedient’?  What are you on about? Obedient is when you do as you are told. The fans who went last night did so because they chose to - nothing else.  

May wish to rethink your username.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Oh so 900 fans who went to watch their team are now compared to dogs. Did you read that after writing it?

What a ridiculous comparison. 

Yeah I read it and felt comfortable writing it knowing that most will know I don't mean that in the most literal terms. 

The point is is that I believe that some are far too accepting of things like this and we shouldn't have to be.

What did you think of the other points I raised.?

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Are you getting angry at me calling you a dog Big Dog 😁

See above I don't mean it in the most literal terms.

51 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If they really want it (which personally I don't think they do) it will happen, it's as simple as that.

Don't you think it would be commercial suicide for a football club or any other business for that matter to not pay attention to the thoughts and views of its fans/customers?

Archived