“The target is to try to go up this year,” said Banide

On 9/4/2019 at 12:05 AM, Kusunga_Is_God said:

No, he obviously does not.

As I see it, my foolish opinion I know, the ‘boys in the know’ have stated that Branger and Vera are Mo’s boys and Mo insists that they start every game. That obviously has not happened this season. 

As I see it, LB is following a policy which allows him to rotate many of his squad in order to reach his preferred starting eleven.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, youngen said:

I think this is my biggest gripe about the whole scenario. Fans have settled that these players are actually good because they are better than the others in the squad. They are still really quite shit players. Maoche was captain ffs, and he couldn't even make the squad 2 years ago because we had better players that got us relegated from League 1.

There are at the minute 2 players in our squad who I would say are good enough for a team that could make promotion from this absolutely horrific league - Woods and Wheater. Eagles perhaps if he proves fitness. The rest are fodder.

That’s bang on. We hear that some of the owner's signings have been decent and others less so, just like more traditional recruitment. 

But the ones who by definition appear to be the better ones have got us to 22nf in L2. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

That’s bang on. We hear that some of the owner's signings have been decent and others less so, just like more traditional recruitment. 

But the ones who by definition appear to be the better ones have got us to 22nf in L2. 

I  agree too, they show flashes of being decent, but cannot sustain it for a game or spell of games. We're 3rd bottom of L1 with these "decent" players. They are only "decent" compared to those around them not the rest of L2,or  L1.

Yes, that's a decent summary. By position I'd very roughly say we have, in terms of a regular 4th division side (at the moment,  I know players might settle and improve:

GK good 

LB poor

CB excellent

CB mediocre 

RB ok

LM good

CM good/ok/poor/random 

RW potentially good

CF x2 ineffective (as used)

Combine that with having a dozen replacements that are no better or much worse, and playing what we do have out of position and it's no wonder we're in the shit. If we could swap Wheater and 10 squad members for 5 ok-good players where we need them we'd be much stronger

7 hours ago, youngen said:

I think this is my biggest gripe about the whole scenario. Fans have settled that these players are actually good because they are better than the others in the squad. They are still really quite shit players. Maoche was captain ffs, and he couldn't even make the squad 2 years ago because we had better players that got us relegated from League 1.

There are at the minute 2 players in our squad who I would say are good enough for a team that could make promotion from this absolutely horrific league - Woods and Wheater. Eagles perhaps if he proves fitness. The rest are fodder.

The fact that we would most likely have made the playoffs but for the shit Ginger experiment that saw us cock up a handful of games against the cannon fodder of League Two says you're wrong. And that given the right coaching (as PW is showing at Halifax now) you can get a tune out of most of the players from last season in this division. I will agree though that Maouche should never, ever, ever be captain. 

7 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The fact that we would most likely have made the playoffs but for the shit Ginger experiment that saw us cock up a handful of games against the cannon fodder of League Two says you're wrong. And that given the right coaching (as PW is showing at Halifax now) you can get a tune out of most of the players from last season in this division. I will agree though that Maouche should never, ever, ever be captain. 

Why didn’t Wild stay, then?

If the budget had been spent wisely we would have a squad of 25, not 35. The money those ten are getting would have been much better spent on better quality players.

Scholes complained about the size of the squad last year, and the ability to train them all. It's obvious the brothers haven't learnt their lesson.

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

How do you work out that we would have "most likely made the playoffs" if we hadn't appointed Scholes?

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How do you work out that we would have "most likely made the playoffs" if we hadn't appointed Scholes?

That’s just not the case. We finished nine points shy of the play offs. In Scholes seven games in charge we got six points so to get into the play offs we'd have needed 16pts from seven games, a minimum of five wins. I don't we had a run during the season where we won five out seven! 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

That’s just not the case. We finished nine points shy of the play offs. In Scholes seven games in charge we got six points so to get into the play offs we'd have needed 16pts from seven games, a minimum of five wins. I don't we had a run during the season where we won five out seven! 

Exactly.  In the run up to Scholes' appointment we lost at Macclesfield and drew at home against Forest Green so we were hardly on a run of form. We were never in with a realistic sniff of the playoffs at any point last season. 

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly.  In the run up to Scholes' appointment we lost at Macclesfield and drew at home against Forest Green so we were hardly on a run of form. We were never in with a realistic sniff of the playoffs at any point last season. 

I would have said just before Bunn left we were in with a shout of the play offs, by the time Scholes took over we were a total basket case of a club. 

Fuck off Abdallah. 

To be fair we gave up after Exeter.

4 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

:petesake: Your having a mare here.

One slight flaw with your train of thought being we had players who provided quality in  Iverson, Edmondson, Clarke, Lyden, Surridge and Lang last season during our better spells even the likes of Baxter, O'Grady, Hunt and Miller would walk into this seasons team, you could say Wheater for Clarke is a good swap but other than that none of the rest have been replaced, in fact most of those who have come in have been a major downgrade.

A recruitment policy of moving out the wheat and keeping the chaff  is not the way forward in my opinion - whichever way you want to dress it up.

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

One slight flaw with your train of thought being we had players who provided quality in  Iverson, Edmondson, Clarke, Lyden, Surridge and Lang last season during our better spells even the likes of Baxter, O'Grady, Hunt and Miller would walk into this seasons team, you could say Wheater for Clarke is a good swap but other than that none of the rest have been replaced, in fact most of those who have come in have been a major downgrade.

A recruitment policy of moving out the wheat and keeping the chaff  is not the way forward in my opinion - whichever way you want to dress it up.

That redefines stark.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Of course he’s having a mare. He’s been having one for fucking ages but he’s so far entrenched in his views that he can’t bring himself to admit he’s incredibly wrong.

Every argument he puts forward is followed up with ‘because Corney’ or ‘because Scholes’.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Iverson has been adequately replaced

11 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Iverson has been adequately replaced

Yes probably but I'd take Iverson over his replacement, Iverson kept us in a lot of games last season particularly at Fulham when we were under the cosh, new lad is steady enough.

Goalkeeper is the least of our problems to be fair.

6 hours ago, leeslover said:

Run us through each position with a +, = or -

About this time last year we were travelling to Grimsby, winning comfortably and sitting nicely in the play offs after 8 games.

Iverson or Woods = Iverson

Hunt or Mills = Hunt

Edmondson or Lacovetti = Edmondson 

Clarke or Wheater = Wheater

Taylor or Smith-Brown = Taylor

Nepomucino

Maouche 

Missilou

Lang or Eagles = Lang

O'Grady or Azankpo = O'Grady

Surridge or Vera = Surridge

Add others who'd walk in to this season's team like Baxter, Miller, Lyden and Gardner who were involved and it's not difficult to see why we are no better than the bottom six in this League, you cant polish a turd especially when your building the team around probably three of our more inconsistent players from last season, all the qualities gone and we've somehow managed to end up with 30 odd players of which any of the top 8 in this division would be interested in two, Wheater and Nepo.

There must be a reason we are stockpiling absolute dross in favour of a more streamline squad that contains some quality, maybe our esteemed sporting director can come out and explain which direction he's taking us in and his vision for the future?

Personally I'd suggest he's out of his depth and he is becoming the common denominator when you look into why our club is going backwards at such an alarming rate.

16 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Why would we have most likely made the playoffs? Before Scholes came in Pete Wild managed to beat Port Vale/Crawley/Notts County. Then lost against macc and MK. Hardly promotion material. And then we lost Surridge and Lyden.

"The right coaching" is such a cop out for players who dont perform.They're hardly playing a revolutionary style of football. I personally don't actually see the players being out of form, players like Branger/Maoche/Missilou/Sylla have looked no different from last season. They just had quality of Lang/Surridge/Gardner/Baxter/Decent solid defence around them. This year they're found out as we have replaced that quality with garbage. Nepo gets off easily on here aswell, possibly because he looks like he could have potential, when 95% of the time his end product is shocking. 

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

About this time last year we were travelling to Grimsby, winning comfortably and sitting nicely in the play offs after 8 games.

Iverson or Woods = Iverson

Hunt or Mills = Hunt

Edmondson or Lacovetti = Edmondson 

Clarke or Wheater = Wheater

Taylor or Smith-Brown = Taylor

Nepomucino

Maouche 

Missilou

Lang or Eagles = Lang

O'Grady or Azankpo = O'Grady

Surridge or Vera = Surridge

Add others who'd walk in to this season's team like Baxter, Miller, Lyden and Gardner who were involved and it's not difficult to see why we are no better than the bottom six in this League, you cant polish a turd especially when your building the team around probably three of our more inconsistent players from last season, all the qualities gone and we've somehow managed to end up with 30 odd players of which any of the top 8 in this division would be interested in two, Wheater and Nepo.

There must be a reason we are stockpiling absolute dross in favour of a more streamline squad that contains some quality, maybe our esteemed sporting director can come out and explain which direction he's taking us in and his vision for the future?

Personally I'd suggest he's out of his depth and he is becoming the common denominator when you look into why our club is going backwards at such an alarming rate.

Hunt over mills ? You must be joking ? Hunt is shite. I’d also dispute Taylor being better than ANYONE regardless of how poor Smith-Brown has been. 

Agree with much of the rest of the post though. 

Archived