Love the effort Sylla and Fage put in and Fage has bags of potential given how young and inexperienced he is.  The issue is the lack of positional awareness across the field and especially midfield and attack.  It's like everyone does their own thing and runs around anywhere they like, there's no midfield bank of 4 or any point where the team presses at the same time. It's all very disjointed.

The players also need to stop making silly fouls, the amount of times Wheater would be stood there exasperated at the other players was a joke. They are trying to hard at all the wrong things.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 league goals in 4 games. Bringing on a centre half with 5 mins to go to secure a point at home to fucking Exeter. "Championship in 5 years", "League one in 3 years" stop dreaming. Felt sorry for Segbe, ran all evening, maximum effort, looks genuinely buzzing to be here. The way he celebrated getting a corner with 10 minutes left says all you need to know about his attitude, starting to really like the lad. Problem is he got absolutely no service, he needs another striker alongside him to get the most out of him. Scott Wilson was absolutely horrendous when he came on, even though, granted for some reason he was stuck out on the left wing.

We're in trouble. If AL and his brother are picking the team we're in trouble full stop. If it is Banide picking the team we're in trouble aswell, bringing on Sefil, Wilson on the left wing, Segbe up front on his own all game when anyone with any sort of football brain could see we needed to get someone up alongside him, Iacovitti as starting centre back when we have Stott on the bench. It genuinely boggles the mind the decisions getting made regarding squad selection. Zak Mills needs to start on the right next wing with Nepo on the left, I thought Branger was awful last night. Didnt look interested at all. Wheater was a boss, if it weren't for him we'd have lost that 2 or 3-0. Woods I thought was decent too.  We need another striker or 4, because there's not a single goal in this team anywhere. 

Biggest positive is this Fage lad. Saw him at Bradford and saw him last night, this young lad can play. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It really wasn't that good, from what I saw on iFollow.  We didn't lose, which is obviously a bonus, but that was by luck more than good management.  We missed a couple of chances, but Exeter missed a couple more than we did and had a goal disallowed, which they seemed pretty upset about.

Our attacking strategy seems to be launching long and high balls up to Desire, and expecting him to win it, however it comes to him, against four defenders.

No concerns eased.

You’d have expected them to be pleased wouldn’t ya?

25 minutes ago, JTM said:

1 league goals in 4 games. Bringing on a centre half with 5 mins to go to secure a point at home to fucking Exeter. "Championship in 5 years", "League one in 3 years" stop dreaming. Felt sorry for Segbe, ran all evening, maximum effort, looks genuinely buzzing to be here. The way he celebrated getting a corner with 10 minutes left says all you need to know about his attitude, starting to really like the lad. Problem is he got absolutely no service, he needs another striker alongside him to get the most out of him. Scott Wilson was absolutely horrendous when he came on, even though, granted for some reason he was stuck out on the left wing.

We're in trouble. If AL and his brother are picking the team we're in trouble full stop. If it is Banide picking the team we're in trouble aswell, bringing on Sefil, Wilson on the left wing, Segbe up front on his own all game when anyone with any sort of football brain could see we needed to get someone up alongside him, Iacovitti as starting centre back when we have Stott on the bench. It genuinely boggles the mind the decisions getting made regarding squad selection. Zak Mills needs to start on the right next wing with Nepo on the left, I thought Branger was awful last night. Didnt look interested at all. Wheater was a boss, if it weren't for him we'd have lost that 2 or 3-0. Woods I thought was decent too.  We need another striker or 4, because there's not a single goal in this team anywhere. 

Biggest positive is this Fage lad. Saw him at Bradford and saw him last night, this young lad can play. 

Don't know what's happened with Wilson, he hasn't shown anything at all. Maybe if he had the sort of centre forward alongside him he had at Macclesfield it might make a difference. Good to hear one will be coming in.

26 minutes ago, JTM said:

Yet when Branger was taken off it was backs to the wall. Wasn't the worst performance I've seen but the lack of a goal threat is a big concern.

I've noticed when Hamer approached the opposition penalty area he looked dangerous. Didn't he start his career in central midfield, if so  it might be something to consider? I assume the coach tries players in different positions in training.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yet when Branger was taken off it was backs to the wall. Wasn't the worst performance I've seen but the lack of a goal threat is a big concern.

I've noticed when Hamer approached the opposition penalty area he looked dangerous. Didn't he start his career in central midfield, if so  it might be something to consider? I assume the coach tries players in different positions in training.

Did Wellens once suggest he thought he had a future in that position?

I think the major positive we should take from last night is the players attitude. No doubt confidence will have been hit after last saturdays performance and subsequent reaction. However I do think despite the fact that I and no doubt the majority of this board have obvious doubts about this squad they were all putting in a shift and giving it 100%. I think having Wheaters leadership will have helped here.

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Hamer and Mills should be our first choice at RW and RB they can both go forward and get back and could even interchange if necessary. On the left I think we need to take Smith Brown out of the firing line for a few games and switch Nepo to left back with Eagles infront of him Nepos at his best when hes overlapping from Left back. If we do that then I believe we can be threat from wide areas going forward and should have enough going back towards our own goal. The centre of the pitch needs a midfielder capable of putting his foot on it. We can't keep the ball well enough to sustain any pressure as a result we don't create enough chances which means we don't score. We also need a Striker who knows where the back of the net is Desire or Wilson might be a decent support striker to one.

Make those changes and we might start to look like a team. But we are still some way off that at the moment.

56 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You’d have expected them to be pleased wouldn’t ya?

Well, they seemed overly incredulous. As if the decision was wrong.

Was it? Couldn’t tell on iFollow..

12 hours ago, welshgaz said:

He was trying to rally the crowd but he looked pissed off in doing so. 

Who is he, whats his name? Looked like he came dressed as Tony Pulis.

SIgn of the times - the good old "What does [X] even do?" has become "Who is he? What's his name?"

Last night for me is a tough one to quite sum up. Firstly, I couldn’t bring myself to clap the performance off the pitch at the end and really thought it was another sub-standard performance.

However, it was a baby step in the right direction. Why? Well, we managed to get a point and the effort and endeavour from our players was there in abundance.

Problem becomes, I EXPECT effort, so I won’t applaud them for effort alone. There wasn’t much in the way of quality, in fact, very, very little quality was on show albeit we defended well on the whole and looked more organised defensively than we have done previously!

Once more, this is due to Wheater though. Once in the first half, he cleared one off the line and cleared the eventual corner and the ball back in and the ball after. Absolute stalwart and our survival hinges mostly on his shoulders. Woods a decent keeper at this level too! Another very positive performance. Hamer was okay nothing better, Smith-Brown is dreadfully poor, Iacovitti looked shaky but may improve, hope to have Egert in with Wheater though. Sylla and Fage complimented each other quite well and kept Law quiet. Plenty of endeavour but zero creativity. Nepo, on the wrong side once more, Eagles did okay but didn’t get the ball to him enough, Branger okay but nothing more and Azankpo very busy but to no avail sadly.

Going forward we look devoid of any attacking idea, playing “off the cuff” so to speak without any real cohesion. At this stage, 8 weeks after we started pre-season, there should be cohesion and idea as to where players are and what runs to make etc. Sadly, I see none of that.

It is only 4 games in but it looks like a real slog and a real struggle. Barry Owen applauding the players off like we had won the league shows just the kind of expectations they clearly have. We probably, just about deserved a point albeit I thought if either team were going to score, it was going to be them.

Couple of coaching points Baz (if you’re reading the messageboard) to take back to Banide/Mo/AL, whoever is designing the tactics. Firstly, don’t ever, no matter who it is, make a substitution when defending a set-piece. Reason is this creates uncertainty of who is marking who and very often ends in complete disaster. Secondly, when pressing, you have to press in packs not as individuals. Azankpo pressed well but nobody backed him up doing so, leading to them getting out of potential precarious positions.

Let’s hope we can take the positives tonight (organisation and work rate) into Saturday’s game at Cambridge with a little more quality on show. Sadly, once more, I cannot see where the first win is coming from.

29 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think the major positive we should take from last night is the players attitude. No doubt confidence will have been hit after last saturdays performance and subsequent reaction. However I do think despite the fact that I and no doubt the majority of this board have obvious doubts about this squad they were all putting in a shift and giving it 100%. I think having Wheaters leadership will have helped here.

I don't think the players attitudes have ever been questioned, well maybe Ma-douche who seems to be one of the most entitled footballers I've ever had the displeasure of suffering.

Ability is the problem and coupled with the lack of leaders and organisation we really are going to find it difficult, Exeter are generally quite happy to sit in and push on late in games, other teams will so their homework and be at us from the off I suspect in the coming weeks, last night could be described as progress but nil nilling our way to safety shouldn't be seen as any sort of progress, we are still woefully short in most areas of the pitch.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Don't know what's happened with Wilson, he hasn't shown anything at all. Maybe if he had the sort of centre forward alongside him he had at Macclesfield it might make a difference. Good to hear one will be coming in.

apart from the 2 years at macc he's played at a really poor level and not always hit double figures. hope there's more to come if he's played up front but asking for double figures will be a big ask from him. 

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't think the players attitudes have ever been questioned, well maybe Ma-douche who seems to be one of the most entitled footballers I've ever had the displeasure of suffering.

Ability is the problem and coupled with the lack of leaders and organisation we really are going to find it difficult, Exeter are generally quite happy to sit in and push on late in games, other teams will so their homework and be at us from the off I suspect in the coming weeks, last night could be described as progress but nil nilling our way to safety shouldn't be seen as any sort of progress, we are still woefully short in most areas of the pitch.

totally agree with this. banide may have made a few questionable moves but i dont think there's much more to come out of this team even if we did change manager. however, i think he's actually doing an ok job. team efforts and attitude also look ok at the moment. we have been left super super short of real quality and the basis of us winning will be clean sheet and nick one on the counter or from a mistake. money will be on 0-0 HT nearly every game

Its almost like we have just finished pre-season and we are a month behind everyone else. It is probably not far off the mark given that half of the players are strangers. 

So on a more positive note, by my logic, we should steamroller everyone in our last four or five games.

I think that I did well to avoid such buzzwords as "time to gel" and "we will click eventually"

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Thought it was Exeter changing up a gear late on rather than Branger's absence.

Can't agree about Hamer as there's no end product when he gets forward. If he, and others, would just get a shot off when near the penalty box we might just get a lucky deflection to score. 

I appreciate he's a young lad, has a good engine and wins more than his share in the air ( our main outlet from the goalie ) but he's nowhere near as good as some of our fans profess and to move him about the field may stunt his progress.  

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I am well aware of all that I was trying to basically look for that 1 positive. Our lack of ability is evident for all to see and thats down to the wretched summer recruitment as we all know.

Archived