Morecambe away on Boxing Day

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JED said:

When did we last win the game before and the game after Christmas?

Or even just one of them?

Well done Dino.

Maybe not the last time, but this was a cracking Christmas:

23 Dec 2006    Oldham Athletic v Northampton Town    W    3-0    League One
26 Dec 2006    Rotherham United v Oldham Athletic    W    2-3    League One
30 Dec 2006    Gillingham v Oldham Athletic    W    0-3    League One
01 Jan 2007    Oldham Athletic v Nottingham Forest    W    5-0    League One

I haven't been going much at all lately, in part because more often than not, going to Latics meant watching a team that wasn't worth getting behind, not worth supporting.

But these last two games have been enjoyable, not because there's lots of talent on display (although there's flashes, McCann, love watching Smith), but they play like they give a shit, and really want to win. That should be the bare minimum, but at the moment, they're a team worth getting behind, a team worth supporting. I'm not trying to make a deep comment or an important point really, but I know there will be plenty like me who are in two minds about whether to go to games, and thought I would offer my thoughts.

And it was quite exciting at 1-1 when both teams were going for it, made me realise it's all too rare now you see both teams trying to win.

5 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I remember the Forest game. Just before I left the house a Sparrowhawk landed on the back fence and then the dog ran off. Got there just before the first goal.

11 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

When Craig Rocastle smashed in the 5th against Forest in a torrential down pour screaming fists clenched I genuinely thought that was our season 

1 hour ago, JED said:

When did we last win the game before and the game after Christmas?

Or even just one of them?

Well done Dino.

I just looked it up.  Our last win in a Christmas fixture was 2008 when we beat Crewe away on Boxing Day 3-0. 

Last time we won both was the season I mentioned (2006)

There were a couple of seasons we didn't play over Christmas due to weather - in 2010 we didn't play a game in December at all. 

But even so, that's an awful record. 

2 hours ago, astottie said:

No because a lot of folk would be upset if we did.

Quite.

I do think there a lot that would hate to see the team do well, because they feel it’s vindicating the ownership. It isn’t. Nothing would stop me getting behind a promotion push. . Even a fleeting one. 

#supporttheteamnottheregime

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite.

I do think there a lot that would hate to see the team do well, because they feel it’s vindicating the ownership. It isn’t. Nothing would stop me getting behind a promotion push. . Even a fleeting one. 

#supporttheteamnottheregime

I doff my cap :applause1:

1 hour ago, Oldham82 said:

Good win pulling along way away from the relegation now. Dino the man wont stand laziness and knows this league well. 2 strikers in and a left back we could easy get the last playoff spot will need luck along the way though as all teams do.

I notice lacovitti is getting forward well, but in defence is often caught out ahead of the unmarked opposing wide player. Something which I think needs rectifying.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Great result. 

Whatever is going on off the pitch. Dino is quietly getting on with it. I think we’ve lost about 1 in 8 now. 

We can’t. Can we? 🤪

Jesus! Read everyone's thoughts, I'm hardly ultra negative or ultra positive! But any talk of the play offs is absolute cuckoo land. We have breathing space and thats it! I hope it's enough to keep us up!

5 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Its really not strange at all. We are in league two. Not on match of the day. We need players who will throw themselves at the cause. Wilson is a great finisher, and hes quick. But he doesn't fly about. Everytime a clearance or long ball is made, wherever it goes, segbe is there or not far away. I would like both of them to start, so I half agree with u, but we need all the running and fearlessness we can. Causes mistakes and 90% of goals in league two come from mistakes

as did today's goal for Segbe... Made up for him worked his arse off all game.. He seems to get subbed by Dino, to me says alot about Segbe.. i would rather have him starting than wilson

pleased for everyone as think we can all see we starting to look ok on pitch and the threat of relegation is passing. however, talk of playoffs must be too much xmas booze. we are in the 3 worst run clubs in the country, and despite both managers getting things going on the pitch after slow starts nothing will make up for our poor ownership. no chance of top 7, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if there's no business in jan done by the club. lets just all be greatful we aren't bottom and heading out of the year and prey someone wins some money and takes us over. oh and top win today, azankpo isn't the best but he tries his heart out, and i think worthy of a squad place at min because of that effort. wasn't long ago we had a similar player in warne who everyone liked and his goal for game ratio wasn't much better

3 hours ago, astottie said:

People who whenever we win have to mock anyone who thinks its a good result/performance because we beat morecambe/Crawley/Newport. 

Brilliant win today at what potentially could have been a banana skin of a game.. This squad of players are certainly playing for the current management team., what with new players due to be coming in in jan, and  1 coming back from  loan, it all makes for an exciting run of games.. Everyone of them players put a shift in today, i also would do what i could to keep McCann , i do believe a contract has been offered him just a matter of time.. He has made a massive difference to our team. Credit to Dino and board for bringing him in.. Also our link up play today was first class,we kept switching Morias and Smith that worked a treat also.. roll on Salford another winnable game ! 

I know where you're coming from and I agree with your analysis.  Isnt the point though that it's the cloud cuckoo land that keeps us interested?  If it wasnt for cloud cuckoo land I wouldn't have gone to the last 3 games of the season that we had to win to have a chance of staying up having not won 3 on the bounce all that season. Then again it is the hope that kills you.😁

2 hours ago, Simpo said:

I haven't been going much at all lately, in part because more often than not, going to Latics meant watching a team that wasn't worth getting behind, not worth supporting.

But these last two games have been enjoyable, not because there's lots of talent on display (although there's flashes, McCann, love watching Smith), but they play like they give a shit, and really want to win. That should be the bare minimum, but at the moment, they're a team worth getting behind, a team worth supporting. I'm not trying to make a deep comment or an important point really, but I know there will be plenty like me who are in two minds about whether to go to games, and thought I would offer my thoughts.

And it was quite exciting at 1-1 when both teams were going for it, made me realise it's all too rare now you see both teams trying to win.

did us all proud today.. great 3 points. to get pegged back at 1-1 to then having a free shot on goal which wasnt put away to then a winner with just over 10 mins to go  says alot about our squad and the confidence thats coming from them.. Well done Segbe thoroughly deserved his goal today.

15 minutes ago, astottie said:

I know where you're coming from and I agree with your analysis.  Isnt the point though that it's the cloud cuckoo land that keeps us interested?  If it wasnt for cloud cuckoo land I wouldn't have gone to the last 3 games of the season that we had to win to have a chance of staying up having not won 3 on the bounce all that season. Then again it is the hope that kills you.😁

Nah there’s no point in hope or excitement.  We just need to shrug our shoulders at 1 loss in 8, and keep repeating we’re going nowhere. 

Merry Christmas. 

23 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Brilliant win today at what potentially could have been a banana skin of a game.. This squad of players are certainly playing for the current management team., what with new players due to be coming in in jan, and  1 coming back from  loan, it all makes for an exciting run of games.. Everyone of them players put a shift in today, i also would do what i could to keep McCann , i do believe a contract has been offered him just a matter of time.. He has made a massive difference to our team. Credit to Dino and board for bringing him in.. Also our link up play today was first class,we kept switching Morias and Smith that worked a treat also.. roll on Salford another winnable game ! 

U are defo on the inside....

Having seen off crawley, we backed that up with another great away win, if we manage to get 6 points from our up and coming home games and who knows where we could end up.

I was told today that a striker is incoming, that in itself is proof we're taking it seriously

Archived