Latics vs Lincoln streamed friendly

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lags said:

The recent player recruitment, primarily British players as this helped with that?

marginally perhaps.  Disconnects built up over many years and speeded up massively over the last couple are not repaired in one close season; especially when it's a fair bet that most of them won't be around next season.  

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

marginally perhaps.  Disconnects built up over many years and speeded up massively over the last couple are not repaired in one close season; especially when it's a fair bet that most of them won't be around next season.  

Lets hope a good season helps get you back to a couple of matches.

Another first hand account

I am not renewing ST this season for first time in many seasons, not anticipating attending home games unless significant changes off the pitch that makes Oldham Athletic an attractive place to attend and watch football in happiness again. Probably been a ST holder for 45 of last 50 seasons but have attended primarily all games at home even when not ST holder.     

My son and his fiancee are not renewing  for first time in 7 seasons since he returned home from abroad 

His fiancee's sister is no longer interested in attending after being a regular for 5 seasons.  She still plays for Oldham Athletic Girls team but that is it now.    

I went to all but 2 home matches last season (on holiday for those) and attended 9 away games which is low for me, traditionally I attend 15-20 a season.  

Routinely as soon as fixtures are out, we look at away travel and book trains 12 weeks in advance for grounds we intend to travel to (usually longer distance). Obviously this season will be different as very unlikely to be away fans in stadia till January 2021 if at all. If away fans allowed, may well rack up at some away games where fans can have a decent day out, but not anticipating this because of COVID

Results or entertainment on the pitch have never been an issue for my attending, its because OAFC is a part of me and where I felt I belonged, be a part of something. 

I will not be rushing back if Latics pull a plum tie in the Cup or whether we put together a good run of results,

I am not fickle at all - I wish all the players well and hope the team wins whether I am there or not, I just no longer feel that i want to the OAFC that exists at the moment represents what I value at all.

I much prefer the current recruitment than that previously undertaken but need a lot more evidence that it will continue in that vein and not revert back to type.  

I loved what we once were - a decent, well run club that catered for the community that it existed in and by and large we were all quite happy and relaxed about things, we didn't sack managers every three months, we were well respected and reasonably well liked everywhere I went (have done 91 of 92 current league clubs watching Latics so plenty of experience) and we had loads of laughs at both home and away matches.  

I will happily return when the owners stop sacking managers every 3 months, when OAFC stop being so unprofessional as we have been in the last 18 months, when Latics basically meet the minimum requirements of fans expectations as the Trust drew up in March 2019 on a sustained basis and when the owners consider the fans in some capacity (remember AL's statement "Football is nothing without the fan" or whatever it was).  Sadly I am not expecting to return to BP anytime soon as from what I can, the owners and leaders of the club do not value the same things as I do.    

Another 1st hand account. I didn’t go to a home game last season for the 1st time in 31 years. I went to Bradford and Salford away, Bradford because I knew the fans would turn on the owner when we got battered and Salford as it was a new ground. 
Are the current signings better than last year? Hard to tell. An unbelievable amount have zero experience in professional football which suggest the budget is massively cut as I can’t see us affording to carry players with the current pandemic, or the fact the attendance’s (when fans do eventually return) will be through the floor. Not going a goal down will be massive next year without experience and the fact we are trying to force our captain out the club. 

My main gripe though is how many people have been turfed out the club since these idiots bought the club, and have been replaced with people of the Calibre like Atkinson and Alam. Add in Owen is still here despite being the one constant at the club over the worst period in our history and it’s enough for me.

I can handle shit players and I will try and see the positives if the club is trying but when they have behaved the way they have over the last couple of years or so they can kiss my ring piece if they think I will return to BP or put a penny into the club. I might pick a few away games if some look like a decent day out or a potential protest if PTB were to organise one. 

I haven’t even touched the way the club have handled the furloughing of the players that have shamed us. 

At last, some reasoned debate. 

Hopefully things improve on the points that matter to you all and see you down BP again. For me, that is what made me proud, we stood by the club and didn't venture down Manchester in large numbers. Some did, most didn't

I haven’t been a ST holder for many seasons due to location and circumstances but was averaging 15+ home games each season, typically paying full price for 2 to 4 tickets per game.  Last season attended 0 home games and won’t be this season.

Totally disillusioned with current ownership.  Clearly I’m not alone but if my spend in the club has gone from over £1000+ a season (tickets, food & merchandise) to £0 then I’m certain that’s been repeated by hundreds of other fans.

Go to away games only now.  I won’t put any money into current owners pockets until I see a vast improvement on field and ideally off it.  They need to earn my trust again I’m afraid.

30 minutes ago, Lags said:

At last, some reasoned debate. 

Hopefully things improve on the points that matter to you all and see you down BP again. For me, that is what made me proud, we stood by the club and didn't venture down Manchester in large numbers. Some did, most didn't

When i was in my formative years, Latics was very much a 3rd club in my town (Middleton) after United and City. Those who chose to support Latics in the first place would never desert to United or City, stop going for other reasons maybe but not become glory hunters, not done at all. 

Would never dream of supporting anyone else, just couldn't even contemplate it.    

32 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

When i was in my formative years, Latics was very much a 3rd club in my town (Middleton) after United and City. Those who chose to support Latics in the first place would never desert to United or City, stop going for other reasons maybe but not become glory hunters, not done at all. 

Would never dream of supporting anyone else, just couldn't even contemplate it.    

I certainly know of some who've headed down Manchester way. One or two that truely shocked me. One even runs a city supporters club now. 

Whilst I accept some have recently decided to call it a day, sighting the current owner/squad/dire football etc. This as been happening for a decade. A slow decline in numbers attending BP. 

Said it before, this club desperately needs a successful period. Then and only then will we buck the decline trend. Regardless who's in charge, the crowd would increase 

I'm going to renew but nearly didn't.

Disillusioned with the current ownership but for some reason I still look forward to match days as much as I did when I was a kid. 

Plus it gets me a few hours of peace from the other half and kids!

1 hour ago, Lags said:

I certainly know of some who've headed down Manchester way. One or two that truely shocked me. One even runs a city supporters club now. 

Whilst I accept some have recently decided to call it a day, sighting the current owner/squad/dire football etc. This as been happening for a decade. A slow decline in numbers attending BP. 

Said it before, this club desperately needs a successful period. Then and only then will we buck the decline trend. Regardless who's in charge, the crowd would increase 

It's been happening for longer than that.  We haemorrhaged a load of fans as soon as we got relegated from the Premier League and gates have declined more steadily since then.

I'll never understand people who change their football team allegiance..

12 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Looking forward to seeing the hundreds of heresay accounts. Get your pointer out. 

If you think this board is representive of the fan base, you'd be wrong. Like I've said, long before this current owner we've lost fans. It's nothing new now. I've respected everyone's reasons. So far less than 10 have responded, whereas as a reader of this board you'd know 1000's of posts are of this very subject. Are you claiming I'd struggle to find one? 

19 minutes ago, Lags said:

If you think this board is representive of the fan base, you'd be wrong. Like I've said, long before this current owner we've lost fans. It's nothing new now. I've respected everyone's reasons. So far less than 10 have responded, whereas as a reader of this board you'd know 1000's of posts are of this very subject. Are you claiming I'd struggle to find one? 

To be fair to him, no one said anything about this board, you said that for every first hand account you said you would point out 50 hearsay accounts - go!

Archived