Latics vs Lincoln streamed friendly

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Sigh. Wasn’t trying to make my point more valid, just trying to put a bit of emphasis in like you would in conversation. Could have gone with bold. Or underlined I suppose. 

Everything you say after “I understood you the first time” suggests you didn’t. But I think for my own sanity I’ll leave it there. In fact I think I need to step away from commenting for a while for the same reason. Season starts soon, fingers crossed the good results continue. 

You think success breeds success. That if we get it right off the pitch that in time results will follow on the pitch. You don’t see them as mutually exclusive but fundamental to any successful club. 

In an ideal world - I agree. 

But we aren’t that club for very obvious reasons, and until someone buys us who cares more about building something than their stroking their own ego we are where we are. 

Whilst people are rightly pissed off about wages/treatment of staff/ it isn’t why they have stopped going IMO. They don’t go because the football is dire, recruitment has been woeful, and we have new manager every five minutes.

If the on the pitch stuff settles down, results improve, and it’s decent football most who can still be arsed will go to games and turn a blind eye to the shitstorm in the background. 

I don’t like how we are run at all, if we win 4 on the bounce I’ll be down there like a greyhound. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Most fans don’t support staff at a football club. They support a football team. Get that element right- and rightly or wrongly most fans are happy. 

The thing is, I think they do support the staff, in proper community clubs like ours. The staff employed there are the same as us, friends of some of us. 

Most fans are armchair fans or big city clubs watching Sky, so don't care. But if you look at the crowd funders at Bury, or the staff working as volunteers at local non league clubs, or the Community Trust then the people do. 

We used to have a real spirit and identity. The relationship with the ticket office staff, or Jenny, or shop staff going that extra mile. Or not sometimes. But we knew them. Their more distant now, not allowed to talk to us. 

And are sure people didn't care about Gordon Lawton?

21 minutes ago, singe said:

The thing is, I think they do support the staff, in proper community clubs like ours. The staff employed there are the same as us, friends of some of us. 

Most fans are armchair fans or big city clubs watching Sky, so don't care. But if you look at the crowd funders at Bury, or the staff working as volunteers at local non league clubs, or the Community Trust then the people do. 

We used to have a real spirit and identity. The relationship with the ticket office staff, or Jenny, or shop staff going that extra mile. Or not sometimes. But we knew them. Their more distant now, not allowed to talk to us. 

And are sure people didn't care about Gordon Lawton?

Oh absolutely they did. No question. 

Also if you’ve got a friend or family member working there or who has they will naturally feel it more. And like anybody in a job they don’t like with hard conditions and a tough boss I feel for them. 

But the vast majority of our fan base don’t know anybody at the club, and just go to watch their team. If we’re good more go. If we’re shit less go. 

Otherwise what are we saying, the majority aren’t going because they care more about people they don’t know than their team winning?? 

It’s just not credible. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Oh absolutely they did. No question. 

Also if you’ve got a friend or family member working there or who has they will naturally feel it more. And like anybody in a job they don’t like with hard conditions and a tough boss I feel for them. 

But the vast majority of our fan base don’t know anybody at the club, and just go to watch their team. If we’re good more go. If we’re shit less go. 

Otherwise what are we saying, the majority aren’t going because they care more about people they don’t know than their team winning?? 

It’s just not credible. 

The voracity at which people have been replaced and treated here, adds a layer at our level. More so than at bigger clubs. I'm not arguing it's the primary cause, but that they care more than ordinarily is the case.

57 minutes ago, singe said:

The voracity at which people have been replaced and treated here, adds a layer at our level. More so than at bigger clubs. I'm not arguing it's the primary cause, but that they care more than ordinarily is the case.

Most everybody as empathy with any worker from any work environment who have lost jobs, yet they carry on as normal in their own lives. It's the way of the world.

There will be a very small percentage of people who have genuinely stopped attending BP due to this latest cause to bash Al with. Do I agree with some of the dismissals? No. Will it stop me attending BP? No.

LOF is correct, it's not one of the issues that's going to get people mobilised, sure they'll give it lip service and then when ManUre hit town in the FAC they'll be dashing to the ground to get a ticket.   

‘and when ManUre hit town in the FAC they'll be dashing to the ground to get a ticket’   

Of course they will, what’s that got to do with anything? There will always be an increase in attendance when theres a big fixture or the team is winning regularly.

I personally know 8 previously die hard Latics fans who no longer attend because of the way the club is run and each and everyone of them would return the minute AL has gone.

AL IS THE PROBLEM for a huge amount of the stay aways!!!

24 minutes ago, Lags said:

There will be a very small percentage of people who have genuinely stopped attending BP due to this latest cause to bash Al with.  

I doubt there are any people who fall into that specific category.  It's the drip, drip, drip of dispiriting developments  (obviously on top of the dire football)

20 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Exactly - we don't have a club we can be proud of, we have a team to support, but you have to hold your nose when doing so.

And the "they'll come back for a big cup tie" is a Barry line.

Sorry, all my own work. Nice try, must try harder.

The biggest factor in crowd size is product on the pitch, always as been, always will be. If Latics are top of the league mid season, banging goals in for fun, the crowd will increase. Even those holding their noses.

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

‘and when ManUre hit town in the FAC they'll be dashing to the ground to get a ticket’   

Of course they will, what’s that got to do with anything? There will always be an increase in attendance when theres a big fixture or the team is winning regularly.

I personally know 8 previously die hard Latics fans who no longer attend because of the way the club is run and each and everyone of them would return the minute AL has gone.

AL IS THE PROBLEM for a huge amount of the stay aways!!!

I heard that claim so many times about Corney. Guess what, they still don't go. If we start winning playing attractive football, your Pals, or at least some of them will return.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

Guesswhat, they still don't go

Because a bigger bell end is running the show now!!!

If we're top at Christmas, crowds will double.  Whatever anyone's issue with Abdallah, people want to be entertained and will pay their hard earned if they reckon they're getting value for money. It just needs peoples' resolve to be tested (as of yet it hasn't been).

8 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

If we're top at Christmas, crowds will double.  Whatever anyone's issue with Abdallah, people want to be entertained and will pay their hard earned if they reckon they're getting value for money. It just needs peoples' resolve to be tested (as of yet it hasn't been).

Crowds would obviously increase but It definitely wouldn’t double!! Our demise has come over a long period of time and it’s going to take a relatively successful couple of seasons to get people coming back to the club.

Unfortunately some will never return!

I'm staying away because it is an overpriced shitshow given most of the fixtures are deeply unattractive. The club was also in danger of losing its identity with the number of substandard foreign players employed.

I could easily be tempted back if things improve though.

Doubling attendance is a near impossible task.  

I doubt we would exceed 3500/4000 on a regular basis unless we’re back in League One and then only if we’re battling in Top 10.

Owner has damaged the loyalty of the fanbase too much.  It will take time to repair and only if there are clear signs of success on pitch and leaving Kewell to recruit and select.  The early indication of signing promising domestic players / players with a decent track record in our leagues could mean the owner has listened and addressing previous mistakes.  Time will tell....

24 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Doubling attendance is a near impossible task.  

I doubt we would exceed 3500/4000 on a regular basis unless we’re back in League One and then only if we’re battling in Top 10.

Owner has damaged the loyalty of the fanbase too much.  It will take time to repair and only if there are clear signs of success on pitch and leaving Kewell to recruit and select.  The early indication of signing promising domestic players / players with a decent track record in our leagues could mean the owner has listened and addressing previous mistakes.  Time will tell....

I disagree with this actually. I genuinely believe that we would get 5-6000 towards the end of a promotion chasing season. I also firmly believe that if our owner is able to fund the club even to a moderate level (and by that I mean a top half L2 budget backed up with a robust recruitment strategy and being run professionally off the pitch without multiple shitstorms) that people will forgive him. If we do things properly over a couple of years not only could we get people back through the door but get a new group of fans who will come along to see whats going on at Boundary Park.

The problems at our football club are bad but the damage is not necessarily terminal.

33 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

First hand accounts all over this board of why people aren't wishing or willing to go and watch their team, and yet some continue to dismiss those accounts as untrue. Ostriches.

For every first hand account you point me to, I'll point you to 50 hearsay accounts all over this board. I don't see anyone dismissing first hand accounts as untrue. A false claim in support of your viewpoint doesn't work. It's also everyone right not to go watch their team, it doesn't mean everyone agrees with why they've come to the decision. Ostrich or Lemming, anyone can name call.

50 minutes ago, Lags said:

For every first hand account you point me to, I'll point you to 50 hearsay accounts all over this board. I don't see anyone dismissing first hand accounts as untrue. A false claim in support of your viewpoint doesn't work. It's also everyone right not to go watch their team, it doesn't mean everyone agrees with why they've come to the decision. Ostrich or Lemming, anyone can name call.

Here's a first hand account.  I didn't go to a home game last season for the first time since 1966.

Archived