Latics vs Lincoln streamed friendly

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lags said:

If you think this board is representive of the fan base, you'd be wrong. Like I've said, long before this current owner we've lost fans. It's nothing new now. I've respected everyone's reasons. So far less than 10 have responded, whereas as a reader of this board you'd know 1000's of posts are of this very subject. Are you claiming I'd struggle to find one? 

The trouble is Lags that Latics are now losing hard core support, not just Johnny come latelys who came to the club in the Pinch Me Season who couldn't hack it when we weren't winning every week.  Its much more difficult to lose supporters of long standing who have been supporters for a long period of time than those who have only formed a recent affiliation with the club who might choose to change allegiance or drop it like a stone when the club fails to win,    

I don't know what the average crowd was last season but i suspect it was around 4000. If you say an away support averages about 500 in total, thats 3500 of our own......2500 STs and 1000 pay on the day? 

From a hard core base of 3,500 I seriously think we might dip to around 2,000, possibly slightly under that this season. This is only an estimate and I may be miles out but evidence i have seen from the surveys mentioned below and from people I know (mentioned a few on another thread a bit back) suggests I may not that far off.   

As a matter of interest, what do you think? Do you feel that Latics support will drop from last season but at a lower level than I am projecting above?      

Have you not seen the results of the surveys done by Latics Trust members (130 respondents) in August 2020 or of the PTB survey done in February (around 600 respondents? May be wrong). These surveys both intimated that there was a high likelihood from these supporters that they would no longer be renewing STs/ attending BP.  I would suggest both these surveys ARE representative of the club's fan base - i have no reason to suspect otherwise. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of course and obviously the real downturn in support will become evident.  

Another barometer of the loss of support can be gauged from those attending away from home, Latics support has actually held up very well even through the last 5-10 hard lean years. Yet last season the numbers travelling was massively lower than that in previous seasons. For example we didn't take 1000 to Macc last season in a crucial 6-pointer whereas the season before, we had taken about 1700 in early January. We didn't even take 600 to Morecambe on a Boxing Day whereas we had 1600 there the previous season. Numbers across the board were possibly 30/40% down on the season before (which was a crap season too)....I would suggest these are also quite worrying statistics.      

15 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

The trouble is Lags that Latics are now losing hard core support, not just Johnny come latelys who came to the club in the Pinch Me Season who couldn't hack it when we weren't winning every week.  Its much more difficult to lose supporters of long standing who have been supporters for a long period of time than those who have only formed a recent affiliation with the club who might choose to change allegiance or drop it like a stone when the club fails to win,    

I don't know what the average crowd was last season but i suspect it was around 4000. If you say an away support averages about 500 in total, thats 3500 of our own......2500 STs and 1000 pay on the day? 

From a hard core base of 3,500 I seriously think we might dip to around 2,000, possibly slightly under that this season. This is only an estimate and I may be miles out but evidence i have seen from the surveys mentioned below and from people I know (mentioned a few on another thread a bit back) suggests I may not that far off.   

As a matter of interest, what do you think? Do you feel that Latics support will drop from last season but at a lower level than I am projecting above?      

Have you not seen the results of the surveys done by Latics Trust members (130 respondents) in August 2020 or of the PTB survey done in February (around 600 respondents? May be wrong). These surveys both intimated that there was a high likelihood from these supporters that they would no longer be renewing STs/ attending BP.  I would suggest both these surveys ARE representative of the club's fan base - i have no reason to suspect otherwise. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of course and obviously the real downturn in support will become evident.  

Another barometer of the loss of support can be gauged from those attending away from home, Latics support has actually held up very well even through the last 5-10 hard lean years. Yet last season the numbers travelling was massively lower than that in previous seasons. For example we didn't take 1000 to Macc last season in a crucial 6-pointer whereas the season before, we had taken about 1700 in early January. We didn't even take 600 to Morecambe on a Boxing Day whereas we had 1600 there the previous season. Numbers across the board were possibly 30/40% down on the season before (which was a crap season too)....I would suggest these are also quite worrying statistics.      

Average number of home fans last season was 3,037 (league games only)

There can be no doubt numbers are massively down, but no one is talking about the football!!!???? 

We finished 17th in league one for what felt like an eternity. We have then got even worse (much worse) for the last 3 years. Culminating in our lowest league finish in my lifetime. 

No one can tell me that the best owners in the world would maintain their fan base with that record.

People don’t go because it’s overpriced, boring, losing, goalless shit football. 

Always the usual suspects with the Barry shite. You bring nothing to the debate. Abject poor. 

It's like being in the school yard. So many people no longer use this board for this very reason. It's so quiet in here when you're all left to chat between yourselves. 

Sorry to the ones who've taken the time to relay their thoughts and feelings on the matter. Thanks for your considered comments. 

I just laugh at the kids

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

3466 total, 3037 home fans (both league only)

Previous season was:  4365, 3854

Season before was: 4442, 3677

Thanks Abdallah!

Now do the same for the 3 years prior to Abdallah. Its been going down season on season. 

It's lack of success in the main pure and simple

1 minute ago, Lags said:

Now do the same for the 3 years prior to Abdallah. Its been going down season on season. 

16/17: 4514/3600

15/16: 4361/3727

14/15: 4349/3645

Not sure Lags. From 14/15-17/18 we were pretty static around the 3600/3700 mark. Numbers then went up (!) for first season in L2 (people anticipating a promotion push?), only then to collapse last year.

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure Lags. From 14/15-17/18 we were pretty static around the 3600/3700 mark. Numbers then went up (!) for first season in L2 (people anticipating a promotion push?), only then to collapse last year.

Surprised me a little that. Id have to look at which sides were in the league. 

One things for sure at the start of TTA, the crowd was roughly double to when Abdallah came. 

10 minutes ago, Lags said:

A word to the wise, don't take Metty on re attendance stats without knowing the answer first. 

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

Always the usual suspects with the Barry shite. You bring nothing to the debate. Abject poor. 

It's like being in the school yard. So many people no longer use this board for this very reason. It's so quiet in here when you're all left to chat between yourselves. 

Sorry to the ones who've taken the time to relay their thoughts and feelings on the matter. Thanks for your considered comments. 

I just laugh at the kids

Says the guy bringing nothing to the table but poor abject Barry shite. 

1 minute ago, singe said:

A word to the wise, don't take Metty on re attendance stats without knowing the answer first. 

Take him on? I don't take anyone on. I remember another good stat man that doesn't use this forum anymore. Well not to my knowledge 

13 minutes ago, Lags said:

Surprised me a little that. Id have to look at which sides were in the league. 

One things for sure at the start of TTA, the crowd was roughly double to when Abdallah came. 

Don't have the total/home fans split, but 04/05, their first full season, average attendance was 6462 - definitely not double!

38 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

3466 total, 3037 home fans (both league only)

Previous season was:  4365, 3854

Season before was: 4442, 3677

Thanks Abdallah!

28 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

10 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Don't have the total/home fans split, but 04/05, their first full season, average attendance was 6462 - definitely not double!

So Corneys last full season 16/17 the average gate was 3600. When they took over the average was 6462 so TTA/Corney lost 45% of our home crowd over a 13 year period. 

AL first season 17/18 the average was 3677. Last season it was 3037. So AL has lost a further 20% of our home crowd over a 3 year period. 

Make of that what you will, but it’s tells me that 16 years of largely shit declining football has took its toll. 

28 minutes ago, Lags said:

There is never one single factor for declining attendances. 

If the club was successful on the pitch but a mess off it, would the attendance be going down as much. I doubt it (Charlton might be a useful barometer here). 

If the club was struggling on the pitch but well run off it, the same (Rochdale might be a useful barometer here too). 

I know fans who gave up their season ticket when home fans were moved from the Chaddy. 

If I was a North Stand ST holder I'd be a lot less likely to buy a ST until the fiasco is sorted out. As it happens I moved to a great seat in the Main Stand a few seasons ago, after a "season" in the North Stand but I was lucky. 

The issue isn't just that we are losing ST holders, we are losing long-standing multi-gerentional ST holders. The club is one of the 5 biggest in the division, and arguably 3rd biggest. 2 seasons ago I'd have argued we were the biggest. We shouldn't be languishing in the bottom half of the bottom division. That is in part due to the chaos at board level. Giving players a year contract, including extra amenities but then not playing them wastes money. It also means that we can't spend that money on other players, or even properly paying the ones we have. 

The generation of fans who started following the club during the glory days are now the generation with children getting into football. The issue is those fans are leaving the club in droves, so their children aren't following in their parents' footsteps by following Latics. 

In the last 6 years attendances have dwindled so its not just AL. However in that time one of the few, if not the only, constants at the club is an ex-copper. That is a FACT, so it's not "shite". He is part of the problem, he might not be able to do much about it, or be willing, given his other roles. Until you recognise this you don't bring much to the debate either. 

Archived