Latics vs Lincoln streamed friendly

44 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There is never one single factor for declining attendances. 

If the club was successful on the pitch but a mess off it, would the attendance be going down as much. I doubt it (Charlton might be a useful barometer here). 

If the club was struggling on the pitch but well run off it, the same (Rochdale might be a useful barometer here too). 

I know fans who gave up their season ticket when home fans were moved from the Chaddy. 

If I was a North Stand ST holder I'd be a lot less likely to buy a ST until the fiasco is sorted out. As it happens I moved to a great seat in the Main Stand a few seasons ago, after a "season" in the North Stand but I was lucky. 

The issue isn't just that we are losing ST holders, we are losing long-standing multi-gerentional ST holders. The club is one of the 5 biggest in the division, and arguably 3rd biggest. 2 seasons ago I'd have argued we were the biggest. We shouldn't be languishing in the bottom half of the bottom division. That is in part due to the chaos at board level. Giving players a year contract, including extra amenities but then not playing them wastes money. It also means that we can't spend that money on other players, or even properly paying the ones we have. 

The generation of fans who started following the club during the glory days are now the generation with children getting into football. The issue is those fans are leaving the club in droves, so their children aren't following in their parents' footsteps by following Latics. 

In the last 6 years attendances have dwindled so its not just AL. However in that time one of the few, if not the only, constants at the club is an ex-copper. That is a FACT, so it's not "shite". He is part of the problem, he might not be able to do much about it, or be willing, given his other roles. Until you recognise this you don't bring much to the debate either. 

I agree with so much of that. If anyone stops going because of one man, then I find that stagering. It's like the pack on here, not one of them will stop me posting. Not until I can't be arsed anymore. 

What the pack fail to see, is that I agree with lots they say, and I say I do, but I am not so blinkered or biased. 

So to say I bring nothing to the debate purely because I, unlike you don't care whether an ex copper is on the board or not, is not correct. You're in effect saying until you agree with me then I am not listening to you. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lags said:

If you think this board is representive of the fan base, you'd be wrong. Like I've said, long before this current owner we've lost fans. It's nothing new now. I've respected everyone's reasons. So far less than 10 have responded, whereas as a reader of this board you'd know 1000's of posts are of this very subject. Are you claiming I'd struggle to find one? 

You made a bullshit statement. I called you out on it. Instead of doing what you said you could, you produce more waffle asking questions of me. 

This is the first season since the 70s that I've been in a position to buy a season ticket and chosen not too. A very reluctant decision based on the actions of the three clowns. Another fifty for you to find. 

36 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

You made a bullshit statement. I called you out on it. Instead of doing what you said you could, you produce more waffle asking questions of me. 

This is the first season since the 70s that I've been in a position to buy a season ticket and chosen not too. A very reluctant decision based on the actions of the three clowns. Another fifty for you to find. 

Bullshit?, not a chance. Less than 10 have responded with their reasoned decision not to attend. Absolutely every thread you want to pick on this board certainly in the last 6 months contains posts going on about the owners/Barry/recruitment /meddling/chuckle brothers/FLG/OEC/ Redfleece/ whatever..... What the conversation must have been, what they've done, etc and how until it changes the posters not doing this, not doing that. So I could pull 100's if not 1000's of hearsay posts. 

I totally respect those posters who have expressed their reasons. I hope in the future they feel differently and return.

Don't become a hater like the likes of Harry and Co. 

Lastly, what's call you out mean? 

7 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Why does every single thread veer off and morph into something totally unrelated that has been covered in thirty five other threads already; so much so that you have no idea what the original question was?

Back on topic, it was tie a yellow ribbon followed by chicken tikka massala

7 hours ago, Lags said:

I agree with so much of that. If anyone stops going because of one man, then I find that stagering. It's like the pack on here, not one of them will stop me posting. Not until I can't be arsed anymore. 

What the pack fail to see, is that I agree with lots they say, and I say I do, but I am not so blinkered or biased. 

So to say I bring nothing to the debate purely because I, unlike you don't care whether an ex copper is on the board or not, is not correct. You're in effect saying until you agree with me then I am not listening to you. 

If you didn't care if an ex copper was on the board you wouldn't aggressively defend him at every turn.

This line you give about offering balance doesn't validate your opinion its the type of line flat earthers use or those fuckwits who think that wearing a mask is an infringement on civil liberties.

You don't offer an alternative opinion or an enhance the debate you are just wrong.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If you didn't care if an ex copper was on the board you wouldn't aggressively defend him at every turn.

This line you give about offering balance doesn't validate your opinion its the type of line flat earthers use or those fuckwits who think that wearing a mask is an infringement on civil liberties.

You don't offer an alternative opinion or an enhance the debate you are just wrong.

Aggressively defend? Yet another blinkered post, how many times have I said he's made mistakes, for which you have the right to bring to account? how many times!!!!

What I do bring up on here is the constant insipid character assassination of the bloke that's rife amongst some of the posters on here. It's cowardly.  So yes, it balances out those type of posts,

Give me a definition of alternative opinion? I'd say an opinion different yo yours, which clearly it is. So what's yours?

Now are you by return going to accept that once more I've said BO has made mistakes, so you can't yet again trot out falsehoods.

11 hours ago, Lags said:

It's like being in the school yard.

11 hours ago, Lags said:

Ha ha hes back Mr negative 

Can I remind everyone, it's good practice to chat to people as you would if you were stood in front of them. Maybe it's also good practice to at least try to comply with your own observations.

Cheers all.

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Can I remind everyone, it's good practice to chat to people as you would if you were stood in front of them. Maybe it's also good practice to at least try to comply with your own observations.

Cheers all.

Point taken...now copy and paste what I replied to

It never ceases to amaze me, I can be polite even when others are not, yet you single me out Matt. I am used to it.

5 minutes ago, Lags said:

It never ceases to amaze me, I can be polite even when others are not, yet you single me out Matt. I am used to it.

“But please Sir - he said ...... First”

Christ almighty!! Give it a rest and grow up!

3 minutes ago, Lags said:

I singled your posts out (not you) because it was an astonishing duet of posts; one hand I completely agree that forums can be like a playground, then within seconds it was undone with something that might have been better left unsaid.

If you're used to it, maybe it's time to think why.

Just now, Matt said:

I singled your posts out (not you) because it was an astonishing duet of posts; one hand I completely agree that forums can be like a playground, then within seconds it was undone with something that might have been better left unsaid.

If you're used to it, maybe it's time to think why.

I know why

I am in my 30’s and had a season ticket for 25+ years. My mum is in her 60’s and had one for over 50 years. Last season neither of us bought a season ticket. My mum didn’t go to a single game and I went to two away games for the social side of things.

We both miss not going but feel we would be contributing to the death of our club by handing our money over.

If AL left we would both buy a season ticket tomorrow.

It would take far more than results to improve to get us back while he is in charge. There would need to be a vast improvement off the pitch and in the way the club was run.

I think there might be a modest increase in gates if results were going well, but I think there's been some pretty long-term damage done to the relationship between club and fanbase (which existed from the Corney era, but this fella's another level..) which would mean it wouldn't be significant.

I've not got any intention to go to a home game, post-Covid.  I'm not even sure a promotion charge would peak my interest - the idea of Abdallah waving his scarf about on the pitch after promotion is confirmed, while Barry smiles smugly next to him as if all his actions have been vindicated just sounds like a massive anti-climax.  As I've said before, the whole thing stinks and it's a world away from the club I supported even just a few years ago.  I think the last time I was really enthused about the club (Fulham aside) was when we drew at Blackburn.  Then I had an opinion on the ability of all the squad and who should be playing where, etc. Now I can't even be arsed to learn the names of the new signings, never mind cultivate an opinion on how we should line-up on Saturday.  I don't want it to be like that, but it's the effect the current owner's had.

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think there might be a modest increase in gates if results were going well, but I think there's been some pretty long-term damage done to the relationship between club and fanbase (which existed from the Corney era, but this fella's another level..) which would mean it wouldn't be significant.

I've not got any intention to go to a home game, post-Covid.  I'm not even sure a promotion charge would peak my interest - the idea of Abdallah waving his scarf about on the pitch after promotion is confirmed, while Barry smiles smugly next to him as if all his actions have been vindicated just sounds like a massive anti-climax.  As I've said before, the whole thing stinks and it's a world away from the club I supported even just a few years ago.  I think the last time I was really enthused about the club (Fulham aside) was when we drew at Blackburn.  Then I had an opinion on the ability of all the squad and who should be playing where, etc. Now I can't even be arsed to learn the names of the new signings, never mind cultivate an opinion on how we should line-up on Saturday.  I don't want it to be like that, but it's the effect the current owner's had.

So you’re not sure a promotion charge would pique your interest but a one off game against Fulham left you enthused. . . 

I don’t get the ‘I would hate to see Abdallah on the pitch with a scarf above his head after promotion’ and judging by your other comments I’m not sure you really believe that either. 

If we won promotion the last thing on my mind would that numpty and red fleece. 

13 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

3466 total, 3037 home fans (both league only)

Previous season was:  4365, 3854

Season before was: 4442, 3677

Thanks Abdallah!

I stand corrected Metty, hadn't realised our home support was quite that low last season (league games only). Dread to think what it will be like in 2020/21 - I honestly feel it might dip to around 2,000 given the survey results, and people's opinions i have read on here and elsewhere on social media. 

I genuinely believe that the main reason for fans not renewing STs or not intending to go is a protest at how the club is being run off the field rather than results on the field (poor as they are).    

Exactly - look at our record over the past ten years - consistently pretty poor, not like there's been a massive dropoff.

Year     D  P   W  D   L   GF  GA  Pts Pos
2019-20  4  37  9  14  14  44  57  41  19th*
2018-19  4  46  16  14  16  67  60  62  14th
2017-18  3  46  11  17  18  58  75  50  21st (R)
2016-17  3  46  12  17  17  31  44  53  17th
2015-16  3  46  12  18  16  44  58  54  17th
2014-15  3  46  14  15  17  54  67  57  15th
2013-14  3  46  14  14  18  50  59  56  15th
2012-13  3  46  14  9  23  46  59  51  19th
2011-12  3  46  14  12  20  50  66  54  16th
2010-11  3  46  13  17  16  53  60  56  17th
2009-10  3  46  13  13  20  39  57  52  16th

Think it’ll be very difficult to determine whether the decline in season tickets sold this season (only 950 sold so far) is down to ownership or COVID.
I was going to renew, but have decided against it due to COVID and the uncertainty of all games being behind closed doors this season anyway.
I think for the majority that had a season ticket last season and haven’t renewed this year would be down to COVID or ownership. Obviously results over the years have had a big impact, but I would suggest that the long-standing season ticket holders, especially that we have now wouldn’t base their decision to renew on results.

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So you’re not sure a promotion charge would pique your interest but a one off game against Fulham left you enthused. . . 

I don’t get the ‘I would hate to see Abdallah on the pitch with a scarf above his head after promotion’ and judging by your other comments I’m not sure you really believe that either. 

Well, yeah.  Fulham was great - an unexpected one off that contradicted the overall shit-show.  Unfortunately, it's the overall shot-show that is forming my current level of enthusiasm.

You might be right - I might be all aboard the promotion bus, should it happen.  Currently it doesn't feel like I'd be as enthusiastic as I would've been historically, though..

40 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I stand corrected Metty, hadn't realised our home support was quite that low last season (league games only). Dread to think what it will be like in 2020/21 - I honestly feel it might dip to around 2,000 given the survey results, and people's opinions i have read on here and elsewhere on social media. 

I genuinely believe that the main reason for fans not renewing STs or not intending to go is a protest at how the club is being run off the field rather than results on the field (poor as they are).    

They left in their thousands before AL. Corney/TTA lost us 45% of our home crowd in their tenure. Metty’s stats back this up. 

We’re just not good at football, and haven’t been for a very, very long time. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They left in their thousands before AL. Corney/TTA lost us 45% of our home crowd in their tenure. Metty’s stats back this up. 

We’re just not good at football, and haven’t been for a very, very long time. 

But our home support stood up for the last 3 seasons of Corney league one. 

My point is that the club are now losing fans like myself for whom the actual results or entertainment on the pitch is nothing to do with our decision, we have been used to shit football for years.  They are now losing what you may have seen as the unloseable fans now. I have seen us shit, then good, then brilliant, then good and back to shit over 50 seasons, nothing to do with results as to why many like me are not going to renew/ return until these owners have gone. 

Remember when Corney left us with 5 players (including 2 goalies and Conor Brown) a month before the season and Robinson had 3 weeks to actually find a team and cobble them together? Well i and mine had season tickets even though we knew we were probably going to go down (we didn't by a miracle), we went to primarily all games home and away to watch substandard football because that's what we do. I would still be doing the same now if the owners hadn't completely disenchanted me with the awful leadership, constant sackings, blatant untruths here there & everywhere etc etc.  

I have had a ST since about 2004, save for when I went to Uni. Didn't get one last year, didn't go to a single game and haven't been since Scholes left. 

I feel a complete disconnect from the club. Abdallah has no respect for the fans, the barrage of rubbish European players went on for far too long, with no reward. That seems to have been replaced by a bunch of non-league "potential" with no experience - none of the signings this summer are exciting. Does anyone feel any connection or affection to anybody in the squad?

The issue with the North Stand is plainly resolvable one way or the other, and the impression is that it is the club/Lemsagam preventing that from happening. If they wanted the stand open, it'd be open. 

The whole "experience" of going to BP is just miserable. Get there at 2:55pm, watch some no hopers try and accidentally knock the ball into the goal for 90 minutes, come home. That isn't all down to AL: the club has been in decline for years, if not decades. But there has been a significant acceleration in the decline, exacerbated by the actions of the club pushing people away.

If results improved, would I go back? Probably to away days. My view at the moment is not to line AL's pockets at all. The club needs a full transformation and success on the pitch to start bringing fans like me back. 

53 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

Think it’ll be very difficult to determine whether the decline in season tickets sold this season (only 950 sold so far) is down to ownership or COVID.
I was going to renew, but have decided against it due to COVID and the uncertainty of all games being behind closed doors this season anyway.
I think for the majority that had a season ticket last season and haven’t renewed this year would be down to COVID or ownership. Obviously results over the years have had a big impact, but I would suggest that the long-standing season ticket holders, especially that we have now wouldn’t base their decision to renew on results.

55 minutes ago, Andy-latic said:

The FSA survey completed by 130 respondents from the Trust suggested that only 29% of fans were going to buy Season tickets this season and a further 10% were not anticipating attending because of COVID.  

I stopped going because the standard of football in league 2 is shit.  I remember watching us against Crawley in our first season.  The game was dire, the atmosphere was none existent and Crawley brought about 60.  That was the first time I knew I didn't want to carry on going. 

If we were a yo-yo club I'd accept the rough with the smooth, but we only ever go in one direction.  I've no doubt within the next couple of seasons we'll be in the non league.

31 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

I have had a ST since about 2004, save for when I went to Uni. Didn't get one last year, didn't go to a single game and haven't been since Scholes left. 

I feel a complete disconnect from the club. Abdallah has no respect for the fans, the barrage of rubbish European players went on for far too long, with no reward. That seems to have been replaced by a bunch of non-league "potential" with no experience - none of the signings this summer are exciting. Does anyone feel any connection or affection to anybody in the squad?

The issue with the North Stand is plainly resolvable one way or the other, and the impression is that it is the club/Lemsagam preventing that from happening. If they wanted the stand open, it'd be open. 

The whole "experience" of going to BP is just miserable. Get there at 2:55pm, watch some no hopers try and accidentally knock the ball into the goal for 90 minutes, come home. That isn't all down to AL: the club has been in decline for years, if not decades. But there has been a significant acceleration in the decline, exacerbated by the actions of the club pushing people away.

If results improved, would I go back? Probably to away days. My view at the moment is not to line AL's pockets at all. The club needs a full transformation and success on the pitch to start bringing fans like me back. 

So despite all of the above- if results improve you would still go away games. . . So your level of interest at the minute is linked to how bad we are at football. 

People keep saying ‘we were in decline before buts it‘a accelerated since AL’ would that acceleration coincide with a relegation, followed by mid table finish followed by the worst league position in my lifetime?

What fan wouldn’t be fed up?????? 

I know we are shit show off the pitch, but the football isn’t mediocre or ok. It’s absolutely awful- it’s no wonder people are disillusioned. IF the football  improved (a lot) the majority of people would come back IMO. That doesn’t mean I don’t hear why people don’t want to go for non footballing reasons, I just don’t agree that’s ‘the way the club is going’ 

We have no fans because primarily (but not exclusively) we are shit. Like really, really shit. 

4 hours ago, Lags said:

Aggressively defend? Yet another blinkered post, how many times have I said he's made mistakes, for which you have the right to bring to account? how many times!!!!

What I do bring up on here is the constant insipid character assassination of the bloke that's rife amongst some of the posters on here. It's cowardly.  So yes, it balances out those type of posts,

Give me a definition of alternative opinion? I'd say an opinion different yo yours, which clearly it is. So what's yours?

Now are you by return going to accept that once more I've said BO has made mistakes, so you can't yet again trot out falsehoods.

What are Barry's mistakes?

Archived