• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are people really that surprised about yesterday?

I mean we saw a few good results in pre season we won last week which was obviously a very good win. But overall I see nothing other than a relegation scrap so 0-1 defeats at home to a soft goal shouldn't seen as that much of a surprise. We've signed 1 or 2 half decent players but our 2 best players have gone and our club captain is being made to sit on the naughty step. We are well short on quality.

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Plain facts are that Orient had more posession than us, more attempts on goal than us and scored the only goal of the game and won the 3pts

Orient finished 17th last season and will likely finish in a similar position this season 

Appreciate its only one game but our squad isnt bursting with talent and goals is it 

Its vital we get at least 4pts from the Stevenage and Crawley games because October looks quite daunting with away games at Colchester Bolton and Salford, hopefully a chance for points at home v Morecambe and Carlisle but after what was on show yesterday, Boundary Park isnt going to be a fortress is it 

Just maybe, recruiting your players from non league football isnt going to change our fortunes around after all 

Who would have thought it .  . . . 

Let's not be too hasty. We've got a new team with a new gaffer.  It will have it's teething problems but HK will have a better idea what our weaknesses are after yesterday, and there is still time to bring players in.

With no fans in attendance.  There is little home advantage so playing home or away is irrelevant.   

15 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

HK will have a better idea what our weaknesses are after yesterday, and there is still time to bring players in.

Last 6 - Badan, Blackwood, Garrity, Jameson,Whelan and Barnett!!!

Unfair or stupid to expect 2 central midfielders with zero league appearances to have much impact.

Team needs at least 2 or 3 plus Wheater, Dearnley and maybe Rowe to avoid relegation battle.

Kewell will be blamed if results don't improve quickly and then God help us if the new youth manager steps up!

Time for Abdallah to cut his losses and get out asap (and take our overpaid Sporting Director with him).

4 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Last 6 - Badan, Blackwood, Garrity, Jameson,Whelan and Barnett!!!

Unfair or stupid to expect 2 central midfielders with zero league appearances to have much impact.

Team needs at least 2 or 3 plus Wheater, Dearnley and maybe Rowe to avoid relegation battle.

Kewell will be blamed if results don't improve quickly and then God help us if the new youth manager steps up!

Time for Abdallah to cut his losses and get out asap (and take our overpaid Sporting Director with him).

The Wheater situation is the biggest problem will have. If/when he leaves his wage will be enough to bring in someone experienced to hopefully rally the troops. 

18 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Let's not be too hasty. We've got a new team with a new gaffer.  It will have it's teething problems but HK will have a better idea what our weaknesses are after yesterday, and there is still time to bring players in.

With no fans in attendance.  There is little home advantage so playing home or away is irrelevant.   

HKs main task is to try and mould a strong team ethic, its our best chance of making something of the season 

Fans csn get behind players who leave nothing on the pitch for the shirt. 

9 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

word is they offered to do so and then didn’t. In which case if that is true whether people think they should or not the club are in the wrong 

Absolutely. I suppose most of the squad would of needed very little contribution from the club to make up their wage. So the club should of helped out the bigger earners. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Are people really that surprised about yesterday?

I mean we saw a few good results in pre season we won last week which was obviously a very good win. But overall I see nothing other than a relegation scrap so 0-1 defeats at home to a soft goal shouldn't seen as that much of a surprise. We've signed 1 or 2 half decent players but our 2 best players have gone and our club captain is being made to sit on the naughty step. We are well short on quality.

Very balanced assessment.

The creative threat of Jonny Smith is removed, Chris McCann isnt there to put his foot on the ball and link play. Few are surprised by the effect of losing them.

True to say other aspects have improved, if the back four had DW in it, I would be relatively happy.

Writing off Dany Rowe, for those who maybe, is daft.

Some argue he isnt worth a place, but I saw very encouraging performances last season, but under Dino, he had to drop too deep.

Clearly Danny needs to play in the right system, which is likely to yield goals.

I also think we will be having to fight to stay out of trouble, dont have enough battlers or class in the middle at the moment.

If Pidge were injured, big problem.

I’m normally a glass half empty sort of guy but I thought there were plenty of positives to take from the game. There was one or two brain farts but I thought some of the passing and movement going forward was in general much better than last season. Admittedly it wasn’t a polished performance but we are only 90 mins into the new season and there are a lot of new and young inexperienced players out there who will only get better with game time.

With Dearnley, Rowe, and George on the bench there’s plenty of threat in reserve and once Kewell has added another CB and hopefully an experienced midfielder I reckon we’ll be OK and maybe surprise a few!!

Just my opinion like 🙂

1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

The creative threat of Jonny Smith is removed, Chris McCann isnt there to put his foot on the ball and link play. Few are surprised by the effect of losing them.

True to say other aspects have improved, if the back four had DW in it, I would be relatively happy.

Some argue he isnt worth a place, but I saw very encouraging performances last season, but under Dino, he had to drop too deep.

Clearly Danny needs to play in the right system, which is likely to yield goals.

I also think we will be having to fight to stay out of trouble, dont have enough battlers or class in the middle at the moment.

We like to sign goal scorers and play them out of position ala left wing Rooney 

16 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Some interesting player ratings from the former Oldham Times / Chron sports reporter here: 

7 out of 10 for the "worst passer of the ball ever seen at BP".... 

(I'll admit that seems very generous)

Think 4 for Hamer is a bit harsh! 

Garrity was better than 5 won a good few balls with interceptions 

4 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Re Rowe ...it’s a recurring theme on this board that either he is played too deep or the system doesn’t suit him or other players waste his service or he is not in his best position or he used to sore goals or several other  mitigating suggestions......might it not just be that there is a more fundamental reason for his ineffectiveness

2 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Some interesting player ratings from the former Oldham Times / Chron sports reporter here: 

7 out of 10 for the "worst passer of the ball ever seen at BP".... 

(I'll admit that seems very generous)

Think 4 for Hamer is a bit harsh! 

Hamer for me misplaced far too many Crosses. He gets into good positions but his delivery lets him down badly. 

DKD you can tell he is raw but again the amount of misplaced simple passes was beyond silly. 

Rowes natural role is to drop deep which is all well and good but it’s not what we need. Especially as we are still missing a striker(target man). 

For me I thought Whelan/ Garrity did alright and kept things tidy. 

still early days hopefully things progress. 

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m normally a glass half empty sort of guy but I thought there were plenty of positives to take from the game. There was one or two brain farts but I thought some of the passing and movement going forward was in general much better than last season. Admittedly it wasn’t a polished performance but we are only 90 mins into the new season and there are a lot of new and young inexperienced players out there who will only get better with game time.

With Dearnley, Rowe, and George on the bench there’s plenty of threat in reserve and once Kewell has added another CB and hopefully an experienced midfielder I reckon we’ll be OK and maybe surprise a few!!

Just my opinion like 🙂

This. 👍

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Just my opinion like 🙂

Just the 5 changes to the team then and we will be Ok!  

2 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Re Rowe ...it’s a recurring theme on this board that either he is played too deep or the system doesn’t suit him or other players waste his service or he is not in his best position or he used to sore goals or several other  mitigating suggestions......might it not just be that there is a more fundamental reason for his ineffectiveness

If you are suggesting that he just might not be good enough, a fair assessment cannot be made until he’s had a decent run in the team in a more  forward position. We bought him because he appeared to be a natural goalscorer, prolific as well. It would make sense to play him wherever he feels most comfortable. Goals win games. ⚽

14 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

If you are suggesting that he just might not be good enough, a fair assessment cannot be made until he’s had a decent run in the team in a more  forward position. We bought him because he appeared to be a natural goalscorer, prolific as well. It would make sense to play him wherever he feels most comfortable. Goals win games. ⚽

Again....he is in the wrong position defence .., plus play him where he feels comfortable!.????....he is a 31 years old who has played 11 league games. 

2 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Again....he is in the wrong position defence .., plus play him where he feels comfortable!.????....he is a 31 years old who has played 11 league games. 

Most managers say quite openly in interviews, papers etc that there isn’t much difference between L2 and the national league so this he has only played x amount of league games doesn’t wash. 

Having said that I genuinely think him changing his play slightly to adapt to L2 by playing that little bit further forward would massively benefit his goals record for us. 

14 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Or carry on flogging a dead horse and make him less effective than he might otherwise be. It’s working so far!! 

Archived