Update on Wheater

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, deyres42 said:

A club statement read: "Oldham Athletic can confirm that players David Wheater and Gary Woods will no longer be a part of the first team squad.

"Due to matters that neither party is in a position to disclose, the decision has been made to ensure the football club can now focus on the season ahead.

"No further comment will be made by the club at this time."

17 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I mean the statement seems pretty unequivocal...

And it was completely undermined by the following dog gate statement 

• 2 weeks later...

Wheater was back with the first team for training a couple of months ago. He has now been sent back to train with the youth team and spends his days running around the Whitebank Stadium. I am under the impression they offered him a settlement not long back, but he didn't take it... 

34 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Wheater was back with the first team for training a couple of months ago. He has now been sent back to train with the youth team and spends his days running around the Whitebank Stadium. I am under the impression they offered him a settlement not long back, but he didn't take it... 

He's been really badly treated, but I hope he can move somewhere else in January.  There's clearly no way back for him here and surely there would be other teams wanting him next month?

From our point of view, Clarke and Piergianni have proven adequate enough that we aren't desperate for him to save our defence like we were a few months ago, and regardless of ability bringing a player into a team who hasn't played a competitive game in nearly 10 months would always be a gamble.

46 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Was he actually training with the first team? I know he posted something about it but was with guys coming back from injury whilst the “first team” were travelling wasn’t he? 

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Yep, he was training with the first team...

Fair enough - still surprised the club haven’t updated us on his dog issues and put him back on the first team squad page 

or put out another statement completely contradicting the last and saying he’s actually banged Barry’s wife 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Fair enough - still surprised the club haven’t updated us on his dog issues and put him back on the first team squad page 

or put out another statement completely contradicting the last and saying he’s actually banged Barry’s wife 

I'm not. The club were genuinely shocked that the passive aggressive statement that Barry MKII put out about Wheater and his dog was met with such anger by fans...

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He's been really badly treated, but I hope he can move somewhere else in January.  There's clearly no way back for him here and surely there would be other teams wanting him next month?

From our point of view, Clarke and Piergianni have proven adequate enough that we aren't desperate for him to save our defence like we were a few months ago, and regardless of ability bringing a player into a team who hasn't played a competitive game in nearly 10 months would always be a gamble.

Wheater was leagues better than our current central defenders but after so much downtime it would be madness to bring him back into the squad and almost impossible for HK to manage 

Hopefully he will get a new club soon, good for him and wages released for the club to invest in a couple of new additions

4 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Seriously!!

Have you not noticed how many goals we have let in?  I for one would be happy take that gamble a couple of times to see how it works out.

52 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Seriously!!

Have you not noticed how many goals we have let in?  I for one would be happy take that gamble a couple of times to see how it works out.

a tad controversial maybe but I find it hard to believe that if Wheater really wanted to play, that he wouldn't have forced his way in by now

26 minutes ago, tGWB said:

a tad controversial maybe but I find it hard to believe that if Wheater really wanted to play, that he wouldn't have forced his way in by now

That is a stupid comment - the club won’t let him

really want to sleep with Jennifer Lawrence - she won’t let me

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They want to pay him off. He won’t go. Right and wrong is situational based on your point of view. 

So if your boss wants to pay off your contract. Normally that means pay off what you would be due to be paid over the whole course of your contract. Maybe you may agree to a small reduction to reflect that you are leaving early and can get another job.  ( older players may not find another job and would want playing in full)

Well at Oldham this is a little different.  “You better take the pay off or else I will make you get up every morning and run on your own around a track and play with 14 and 15 year old kids for the next twelve months!

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

he has a contract - nothing at all wrong with seeing that out - he’s in the right 

In the right for what? 

Collecting his money isn’t being disputed. 

Is he in the right for seeing 18 months of his career drift away. Debatable. And only he will know if he’s doing the ‘right’ thing by himself. 

Interesting that because of our owners everyone is on Wheater side. Usually when the top earner sits his contract out he becomes a pariah with the fans. 

Archived