MATCH: Cambridge

39 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah, transition is definitely the right term. We've got good attackers, but there's not really anyone in that midfield who can unlock a well organised defence. I'm not really sure how you change it; possibly play Rowe in the hole behind a couple of strikers?

Someone like Chris McCann maybe....

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a good and deserved result today. A proper team performance on a poor playing surface. 

Such a contrast in attitude to the midweek shambles. We still give the ball away far away too often but the determination and work ethic saw us through. If only we could play with similar attitude at home.

Stand out performers were all of ‘em. 😉

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Imagine how much better we’d be with a midfielder who can keep possession under pressure and dictate the play- especially at home. 

It’s absolute must in January if we’re going to kick on. 

Someone lime McCann,perhaps they are too expensive.

57 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Macalmont and Garrity played well in the Midfield but my MOM was our captain who was playing the holding role ..I must say I do like this 4141 formation away from home.. Belting result today and well deserved 

Who was Captain today ? 

14 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

More evidence that there is no correlation between Rowe’s presence in the team and the team’s prospect of winning or scoring goals?

On the other hand more evidence that Pidge’s absence from the team does prima facie show correlation between winning and conceding  ?
Discuss 

And yet, a lot of the moves are copied and pasted straight out of the Danny Rowe manual.

23 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

More evidence that there is no correlation between Rowe’s presence in the team and the team’s prospect of winning or scoring goals?

On the other hand more evidence that Pidge’s absence from the team does prima facie show correlation between winning and conceding  ?
Discuss 

Done it to death. 

Let’s have the conversation again at the end of the season. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:01 PM, Behind Closed Doors said:

59 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Today?  No.

Take the previous three away games though and there's a direct correlation between Danny Rowe scoring winning goals on two occasions and on the other scoring a goal that gave us a lead with 10 minutes to go that the opposition couldn't recover from.

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Done it to death. 

Let’s have the conversation again at the end of the season. 

Completely agree.

I suppose the best thing about today was that the performance wasn't a flash in the pan.  That was executing a very similar game plan to the Exeter and Bradford games.  We haven't figured it out at home yet (which is Kewell's next test with 3 games at BP in the next week and a half) but we've found a clear way of playing away from home and it's no fluke, so well done HK.

As for the players, Lawlor was more certain dealing with balls into the box than in recent matches and, while it was a poor penalty, he made a really good save for it.  Jombati should keep that spot at right back ahead of Fage and Hamer and CBJ is now first choice left back on merit rather than reputation in my opinion.  At centre back, Clarke played well but was naive in the way he gave away the penalty.  If you take an extra half-second to smash the ball away with extra power, a forward can win a pen by simply putting a foot in the way, which is exactly what happened.  The best comment I can give about Diarra is that I didn't notice him making a glaring error that resulted in a goal, which he has done previously.  I'm happy enough having him start, but Clarke and Pidge is the most balanced (and available) centre-back pairing we have.

Speaking of balance, the midfield three that played today is the best we currently have.  Not because they're amazing and complete players, but because they all do something a bit different that makes them tick as a unit.  Ntambwe was a great presence in the holding midfield role (very unlucky not to be on the scoresheet either), maybe he's perfect for away games and not good enough on the ball to control play at home, but I really believe he's the hardest player for us to replace in the current squad simply because no one else that we have can play the role he does.

McCalmont played very well, great to see that he's getting in advanced positions more often as the season progresses and his confidence is really growing.  As much as DKD has brought energy to that position in recent games, McCalmont's quality and composure is streets ahead and is something we've really lacked this season.  Which brings me onto Garrity.  He's inconsistent, he's not disciplined enough yet to be relied upon as a holding midfielder and not good enough on the ball to be a creator.  But he's a powerful runner who gets around the pitch really well and best of all, he bursts into the box from deep and into scoring positions more than any Latics central midfielder since...maybe Gary McDonald?  It's such a breath of fresh air!

Fage and Grant are interesting players.  If every player was fit for every game, neither would be in my starting XI.  But they are becoming useful squad players in a season where the squad is more important than ever.  Fage is limited but versatile, Grant is not what I expected at the start of the season.  As well as chipping in with a few goals and assists, he's got a bit of shithousery about him!  Very useful when winding up opposition home fans.

McAleny's class isn't he?  Such a smart player and a cool finisher.

Great to see Bahamboula back and so unlucky not to score that free-kick.  Barnett and Whelan played it smart in injury time taking the ball to the corner to kill the game.

6 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Discuss 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0908ng1?xtor=CS8-1000-[Discovery_Cards]-[Multi_Site]-[SL02]-[PS_SOUNDS~N~~MeandMyTrolls]

6 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Discuss 

Aaaand ....... he’s back!

Didn’t hear much from you in the recent games when Rowe scored a couple of crackers.

6 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The best comment I can give about Diarra is that I didn't notice him making a glaring error that resulted in a goal, which he has done previously.  I'm happy enough having him start, but Clarke and Pidge is the most balanced (and available) centre-back pairing we have.

👍 @the_mighty_bosh

Your full post was a well balanced and pretty fair assessment of the game yesterday and where we currently are as a league team.

I tend to agree that playing Piergianni alongside Clarke is the best centre back pairing we realistically have available, if only playing two central defenders. However there is an argument for playing Diarra in a three when 3-5-2 or similar is adopted for specific games.

Harry Kewell has switched between a back three and playing two in a 4-4-2 formation this season - dictated somewhat by how the opposition sets up.

It also got me thinking about our defensive options -  Hamer has been relegated to the bench at the moment (rightly so in my opinion) and Jameson, who was beginning to show some decent skills, is ‘longer term’ injured along with Badan. So assuming we do extend Clarke’s loan until the end of the season, we have depth in this area when all are fit.

Yes the team would be strengthened by adding another good experienced centre back but maybe we should look for any January additions to be in central midfield?

It is apparent that the team has been working hard on the training pitch. Positional play and work ethic has improved and certain individuals are looking more assured out on the pitch. And kudos must go to the coaching team as well as the players for this progress.

Now can we work more on improving our passing and hold up skills  please? 😉

11 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Discuss 

You weren't around to discuss when Rowe  was scoring goals recently I notice.

Explain.

Archived