MATCH: vs Tranmere Rovers (H) Carabao Cup 10/08/2021

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

At 76yo I'm not getting out much now, have you spotted anyone?

I've seen a striker called Jacob Hazel play for Whitby 3 times now. I think he's impressive but know nothing. He's biggish, strong and holds defenders off. He's not slow and leads the line well. His goal scoring record is better than 1 in 2 and he can score from inside and outside the box. He played 2 games for Chesterfield, debut against us strangely but has been non league ever since and not even conference level at that. He's 27 and my view was that if he's not been picked up by a league club by now people with more expertise than me must think he isn't up to it. However having seen Blythe twice I think Hazell would be a great improvement- not a great yardstick I know. Also Nevitt who scored for Tranmere last night has come from 2 leagues lower down. I wondered if you'd any knowledge of him. Whitby are at Ashton on Tuesday August 24th so I'm going to go and have another look.

17 minutes ago, astottie said:

I've seen a striker called Jacob Hazel play for Whitby 3 times now. I think he's impressive but know nothing. He's biggish, strong and holds defenders off. He's not slow and leads the line well. His goal scoring record is better than 1 in 2 and he can score from inside and outside the box. He played 2 games for Chesterfield, debut against us strangely but has been non league ever since and not even conference level at that. He's 27 and my view was that if he's not been picked up by a league club by now people with more expertise than me must think he isn't up to it. However having seen Blythe twice I think Hazell would be a great improvement- not a great yardstick I know. Also Nevitt who scored for Tranmere last night has come from 2 leagues lower down. I wondered if you'd any knowledge of him. Whitby are at Ashton on Tuesday August 24th so I'm going to go and have another look.

Thanks, might make that game. 88 goals in 117 games..doubt if Blyth could do that 

13 minutes ago, astottie said:

Nevitt was offered to Oldham before Tranmere looked at him but we didn't want him, he's much better than Blyth.

3 minutes ago, oafcforever said:

Nevitt was offered to Oldham before Tranmere looked at him but we didn't want him, he's much better than Blyth.

Blyth would still be trying to control the cross Nevitt scored from.

2 minutes ago, astottie said:

Blyth would still be trying to control the cross Nevitt scored from.

I remember about 20 years ago watching Yeovil in non league who had a big centre forward called Warren Patmore (140 goals in 287 games), he held the ball up well and was superb in the air. One day they played championship league leaders Bolton away in the FA cup and he gave Spanish international Ivan Campo a torrid time and at the age of 30 got his chance in the EFL when Yeovil got promoted.

Maybe the one at Whitby could too as he's a similar goal scoring record?

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

what on earth was their keeper doing for Bahamboula's goal?

Being bamboozled. It was brilliant skill. Took the shot quick and early. Clarke behind the line doing he’s usual knee to the ground was funny. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I remember about 20 years ago watching Yeovil in non league who had a big centre forward called Warren Patmore (140 goals in 287 games), he held the ball up well and was superb in the air. One day they played championship league leaders Bolton away in the FA cup and he gave Spanish international Ivan Campo a torrid time and at the age of 30 got his chance in the EFL when Yeovil got promoted.

Maybe the one at Whitby could too as he's a similar goal scoring record?

Reminds me of Matt Smith ending Seb Coates' Liverpool career in one match.

Matt was another one coming from excelling in non league.  I don't think we are looking for the talent on our own doorstep enough these days.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I did say 'one' of the best.

Name me some more.

The obvious one for me would be John Ryan….Hart is a great signing and unusually for us looks like a proper footballer. After seeing him just the once I’d be trying to pin him down on a longer contract as soon as possible because like you say I don’t think he’ll be here for long playing like that!!!

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The obvious one for me would be John Ryan….Hart is a great signing and unusually for us looks like a proper footballer. After seeing him just the once I’d be trying to pin him down on a longer contract as soon as possible because like you say I don’t think he’ll be here for long playing like that!!!

if the stories about Leutwiler, longer contracts and the embargo are true then that won't be possible

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

John was great wide, but never played centre back to my recollection.

Besides Warhurst the nearest I can think if is Jonathan Grounds...and if he went on to play in the Championship so should Hart, who IMO shows far more passion than Grounds who I thought was languid at times.

Archived