MATCH: vs Tranmere Rovers (H) Carabao Cup 10/08/2021

22 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Reminds me of Matt Smith ending Seb Coates' Liverpool career in one match.

Matt was another one coming from excelling in non league.  I don't think we are looking for the talent on our own doorstep enough these days.

At least we gave Blyth a chance, I think he knows now he needs to add more aggression to his game and give centre backs a hard time. Hopefully he will do so as he's only on a short term contract 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd say Richard Graham promised plenty as a ball playing centre half and although Craig Fleming played more at full back he most certainly had the attributes

Richard was a cracking player. what a shame about his injury.

Futcher, Jobson (the very best), Warhurst and Graham. Andy Linighan? Really good ball playing centre backs. 

I was watching The Big Match Revisited the other day. We were on, playing Chelsea. I'd forgotten what a good player Kenny Clements was for us (also great to see Stainrod, and Kowi looked class).

Then we have the enforcers like Hurst, Skipper and Gregan.

19 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Futcher, Jobson (the very best), Warhurst and Graham. Andy Linighan? Really good ball playing centre backs. 

I was watching The Big Match Revisited the other day. We were on, playing Chelsea. I'd forgotten what a good player Kenny Clements was for us (also great to see Stainrod, and Kowi looked class).

Some great names there, Stainrod was something else, the fans now would adore him.

Clements was a very good player as were the others you mention.

I have it on good authority that Gregan was horrible to play against.

3 hours ago, astottie said:

I've seen a striker called Jacob Hazel play for Whitby 3 times now. I think he's impressive but know nothing. He's biggish, strong and holds defenders off. He's not slow and leads the line well. His goal scoring record is better than 1 in 2 and he can score from inside and outside the box. He played 2 games for Chesterfield, debut against us strangely but has been non league ever since and not even conference level at that. He's 27 and my view was that if he's not been picked up by a league club by now people with more expertise than me must think he isn't up to it. However having seen Blythe twice I think Hazell would be a great improvement- not a great yardstick I know. Also Nevitt who scored for Tranmere last night has come from 2 leagues lower down. I wondered if you'd any knowledge of him. Whitby are at Ashton on Tuesday August 24th so I'm going to go and have another look.

Think this lad wouldhave been the icing on the cake.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/chesterfield-make-huge-statement-of-intent-with-new-signing/

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

All fine, but none apart from Warhurst showed the attacking dash as did Hart last night night from his left sided centre back role. Tarky made some good runs, but not at great pace. What I also liked about Hart was his recovery after those sorties.

I have respect for BP's views (although he doesn't think I do) - he knows more than I do about the game - but saying a player with Hart's track record "must be one the best attacking centre backs we've ever seen at BP" on the strength of one league two game against Newport and a cup game against a much changed Tranmere side is just bonkers.

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I have respect for BP's views (although he doesn't think I do) - he knows more than I do about the game - but saying a player with Hart's track record "must be one the best attacking centre backs we've ever seen at BP" on the strength of one league two game against Newport and a cup game against a much changed Tranmere side is just bonkers.

I can see where he's coming from.

At 2 down heads can drop and Hart, almost singlehandedly, drove forward with determination to galvanize our side. He set off on several sorties upfield without totally abandoning his defensive duties, even finding time to crash a shot towards the bottom corner which would have tested their keeper had DKD not got in the way.

Whilst BP may have got a bit over-excited it was a good swashbuckling performance from a central defender which helped turn the match back in our favour.

3 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Thanks BP1960. The BBC line up only has us with 6 subs and no Dearnley so thought he might’ve got injured during the warm up. If he was fit enough for the bench, surprised he didn’t come on even if just for the last 10 mins.

That was a surprise to me too. 

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Thanks BP1960. The BBC line up only has us with 6 subs and no Dearnley so thought he might’ve got injured during the warm up. If he was fit enough for the bench, surprised he didn’t come on even if just for the last 10 mins.

Surprised he was fit enough to warm up …. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

All fine, but none apart from Warhurst showed the attacking dash as did Hart last night night from his left sided centre back role. Tarky made some good runs, but not at great pace. What I also liked about Hart was his recovery after those sorties.

But is that because he's a left-back?

Also, let's be honest, this is division four, not two or one.

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Fancy Leeds at home in the next round....or Everton!

Hoping for Newcastle as my best friend is a Geordie 

or Burnley as my Burnley supporting mate lost his battle with cancer on Monday and he was gutted he was too ill to come to the friendly 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

or Burnley as my Burnley supporting mate lost his battle with cancer on Monday and he was gutted he was too ill to come to the friendly 

Sorry to hear that Chaddy.

16 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Sympathy to you and all his family and friends. 

30 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Newcastle away would be ideal for me as my eldest now lives there. Also his girlfriends family are all Toon army. 

Archived