RUMOUR: THE NORTH STAND AND THE GYM

Message added by Matt,

NOTE THIS IS UNSUPPORTED RUMOUR AND IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS FACT.

9 hours ago, Barryowen said:

Hi guys.

Great questions

i have to be careful here ,given the threats some are getting about defamation, slander and libel but I will do my best to put an objective viewpoint over.

The club have some really great members of staff who are loyal to the core and trying to do a good job. By today’s standards there are too few of them and they are not the best paid staff, but they will take the view that they have a job that they try to enjoy.

I make no apology for my opinion that they are not given proper direction, leadership and welfare. They cannot say it for fear of becoming unpopular. That is not uncommon at the club and a number of previous staff have already witnessed and suffered the wrath of the “leadership”

Fortunately I did not have to work in an atmosphere that I consider currently exists and which has been known with the much publicised treatment of a number of people.

Other people have had to though during your tenure. I'm not putting blame on you for how they were treated, but I believe it is fair to say that the working atmosphere at the club in some if not all areas has been toxic from the very early days under AL's ownership. Were you aware of the poor treatment of players and staff that has since come out in the open?

It is more than co-incidence that the deterioration goes hand in hand with the owner apparently having no interest these days and not returning to the club.

I have to question this. The deterioration of the football club was well underway while AL was around regularly and wandering into dressing rooms for example.

Whatever people’s views and whatever harm he tried to do with me, the guy is quite a good and reasonable family man. Unpopular as it might be had he not come into the club when he did, administration would undoubtedly have occurred.

He might not admit it but he was conned with this acquisition. I know from talking to him that he would not have gone ahead if his advisors had made him aware of the problems he faced. Unfortunately it is not fair to blame those with the task of doing the due diligence because in football many aspect of finance can be hidden.

Addallah paid an amount for an insolvent football club and for 18 months he cleared many debts. I was happy to support him through that difficult period to keep the club afloat. I have many reasons to feel bitter but you cannot fault the owners initial efforts.

He would be the first to admit that he made  many mistakes but the main one is that he does not listen to advice. His choice of key positions since he took over was done without consultation and they have been major mistakes. Before I am criticised for anything, I again state that a number of positions he selected have been his downfall not just one.

Who is advising him regarding his communication and relationship with the fans? I'll accept he made a mistake when buying and even that he was hoodwinked. But there are far too many ongoing basic mistakes that would be rectified if the fans were dealt with in a cooperative way rather than being seen to be a group to fight against or be suspicious of.

As many of you are aware ,involving family in your business can be problematic and despite reminding him on numerous occasions he must decide for himself whether he agrees with the many fans and people in football who have questioned the position of his brother within the club.

It is for him to decide if that criticism has been justified.

You ask about Macclesfield and Bury. Certainly from my knowledge within the EFL Meetings,each had its own unique problems. Certainly at Macclesfield it could be said to be mis-management of funds. With regard to Bury I will let Mr Evans decide on that one. Despite his denials he was around when all that occurred he was, but to be fair to him he was certainly not the catalyst for the club fall from grace.

Stockport was different . Brian Kennedy a shrewd businessman allowed their Trust to take the club over. Unfortunately he retained many of the money making facilities of the club. Sounds familiar.!!!!!!. That resulted in the downfall of Stockport. They have done really well to retain their fanbase and now have an investor who is interested in putting the club back on its feet.

Our clubs immediate problem in finance. Whatever they say they do not have money .

in football you really need an owner who has money to lose . Silly I know, but true. Abdallah has never really  had the resources in that respect and I often wondered at times whether he was the front man for others. He told me personally he was not going to invest any further money into the club and it would have to learn to be self- sufficient.

I told him that would never happen because the club always has more outgoings than income.

I have a problem with this attitude. I believe there is an appetite within football to change this notion that clubs are run at losses and nothing can be done about it.  There are plenty of revenue streams the club could be utilising. What it needs is someone with ambition and forethought to try and run the club in a self sufficient way.  Obviously this means non-match day revenue, but to say it's impossible is defeatest.  It could certainly be run a lot more closely to self-sufficiency if changes were made.  Have additional revenue streams been looked at by the club in any way?

That also takes into account the solidarity payments from the EFL. He was advised on a way forward regarding the purchases of the.ground and the background with the antics of the OEC

In a financial sense , last year,CIVID kept the club going with furlough and other help from the EFL.

I don’t know, but there may have been a change of heart from him insofar as contributions but I think not. His personal contribution towards the debenture payment to Blitz was small in comparison to what had to be found. In fairness it was never his debt and he was stupid to take it on. Why might you ask. Simply ,Blitz would have stopped his deal for the club going through.

A great deal of money has been borrowed from the EFL which is not a crime. Better to do it than go bust but it has to be paid back either directly or through the solidarity payments. However you can’t keep borrowing or hoping that some windfall will come along..

Of course it is well publicised that with the borrowing come the embargo which carries many restriction that the club seem embarrassed to admit.

Perhaps  you do have to cut your cloth according  but through no fault of the boys concerned, you do have to pick up

players from the lower end of the list not wanted largely by other clubs. Everyone can live with that as long as they try and do their best.

Even more crucial to have football people making football decisions. Mo Lemsagam isn't a football person yet he has a key say in all signings.  Has this been addressed with Abdallah at all by senior club staff? 

The key question is what can be done to change things. I don’t think that either of the key player who are business men have the club at the top of their interest lists.

Blitz can sit back with his assets until the lease on the ground expires for football

purpoaes. Is he really bothered about the continuation of the football club. You would think so given his questioned possession of the OEC.

Abdallah cannot sustain the running of the club and is presiding over a slow death.

He always knew his only chance was to secure the ownership of the assets to start making the club a profit making business with the OEC as the  key building in the equation.

At one stage he was prepared to finance a civil action to have the Building returned to the club. He lost interest .

People ridicule and abuse me about my stance regarding the OEC. This is the one and only asset that was invested by the Council to the Club.

Had it been retained where it belongs the club would be financial secure to a point.

That is not the only thing that needs to be resolved. The fans still have a massive role to play in the future of the club. This is not Blackpool who had the money to partly ignore the fans actions. I would merely urge fans to do their bit, but peacefully and lawfully but doing what is necessary is essential. That does not mean stopping fans who have no interest in protest who just want to watch the games.

The hatred and posturing between the groups has to stop and each party must meet together to find and plan a way forward.

it must be seen that Blitz and Lemsagam are called together to discuss the future with a collective group of representatives.

That is a meeting that may eventually have to be forced on the parties if necessary. I would hope it would be voluntary but sometimes people need to be  encouraged to come to the table.

People need to remember that if the actions I am taking,  result in the return of the OEC, that would benefit the financial running of the club. It doesn’t really matters who the owner is.

Yes it really does.  If an incompetent owner is running it or makes mistakes with "his choice of key positions", then it seems to me it is a vehicle to add more financial burden to the club rather than ease it. Are you fully confident that if AL/Mo and Karl Evans were in charge of the OEC they would be able to run it at a profit and benefit the football club?

That stand was financed by the rate payers of Oldham for the benefit of our club. I am often mystified how people are missing that point and seem quite content to believe Blitz owns it. In my opinion and  it will be proved that he doesn’t.

There is a future but everyone needs to come together and decide on the actions to be taken.

I hope this helps and apologise for the verbose nature of the mail but your questions deserved a suitable response.

if I have missed anything please come back at me. Of course these are my views only and I appreciate will differ from many others.

Hi Barry, I have added some questions in bold to your post above. Thanks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Barryowen said:

Hi guys.

Great questions

i have to be careful here ,given the threats some are getting about defamation, slander and libel but I will do my best to put an objective viewpoint over.

The club have some really great members of staff who are loyal to the core and trying to do a good job. By today’s standards there are too few of them and they are not the best paid staff, but they will take the view that they have a job that they try to enjoy.

I make no apology for my opinion that they are not given proper direction, leadership and welfare. They cannot say it for fear of becoming unpopular. That is not uncommon at the club and a number of previous staff have already witnessed and suffered the wrath of the “leadership”

Fortunately I did not have to work in an atmosphere that I consider currently exists and which has been known with the much publicised treatment of a number of people.

It is more than co-incidence that the deterioration goes hand in hand with the owner apparently having no interest these days and not returning to the club.

Whatever people’s views and whatever harm he tried to do with me, the guy is quite a good and reasonable family man. Unpopular as it might be had he not come into the club when he did, administration would undoubtedly have occurred.

He might not admit it but he was conned with this acquisition. I know from talking to him that he would not have gone ahead if his advisors had made him aware of the problems he faced. Unfortunately it is not fair to blame those with the task of doing the due diligence because in football many aspect of finance can be hidden.

Addallah paid an amount for an insolvent football club and for 18 months he cleared many debts. I was happy to support him through that difficult period to keep the club afloat. I have many reasons to feel bitter but you cannot fault the owners initial efforts.

He would be the first to admit that he made  many mistakes but the main one is that he does not listen to advice. His choice of key positions since he took over was done without consultation and they have been major mistakes. Before I am criticised for anything, I again state that a number of positions he selected have been his downfall not just one.

As many of you are aware ,involving family in your business can be problematic and despite reminding him on numerous occasions he must decide for himself whether he agrees with the many fans and people in football who have questioned the position of his brother within the club.

You ask about Macclesfield and Bury. Certainly from my knowledge within the EFL Meetings,each had its own unique problems. Certainly at Macclesfield it could be said to be mis-management of funds. With regard to Bury I will let Mr Evans decide on that one. Despite his denials he was around when all that occurred he was, but to be fair to him he was certainly not the catalyst for the club fall from grace.

Stockport was different . Brian Kennedy a shrewd businessman allowed their Trust to take the club over. Unfortunately he retained many of the money making facilities of the club. Sounds familiar.!!!!!!. That resulted in the downfall of Stockport. They have done really well to retain their fanbase and now have an investor who is interested in putting the club back on its feet.

Our clubs immediate problem in finance. Whatever they say they do not have money .

in football you really need an owner who has money to lose . Silly I know, but true. Abdallah has never really  had the resources in that respect and I often wondered at times whether he was the front man for others. He told me personally he was not going to invest any further money into the club and it would have to learn to be self- sufficient.

I told him that would never happen because the club always has more outgoings than income. That also takes into account the solidarity payments from the EFL. He was advised on a way forward regarding the purchases of the.ground and the background with the antics of the OEC

In a financial sense , last year,CIVID kept the club going with furlough and other help from the EFL.

I don’t know, but there may have been a change of heart from him insofar as contributions but I think not. His personal contribution towards the debenture payment to Blitz was small in comparison to what had to be found. In fairness it was never his debt and he was stupid to take it on. Why might you ask. Simply ,Blitz would have stopped his deal for the club going through.

A great deal of money has been borrowed from the EFL which is not a crime. Better to do it than go bust but it has to be paid back either directly or through the solidarity payments. However you can’t keep borrowing or hoping that some windfall will come along..

Of course it is well publicised that with the borrowing come the embargo which carries many restriction that the club seem embarrassed to admit.

Perhaps  you do have to cut your cloth according  but through no fault of the boys concerned, you do have to pick up

players from the lower end of the list not wanted largely by other clubs. Everyone can live with that as long as they try and do their best.

The key question is what can be done to change things. I don’t think that either of the key player who are business men have the club at the top of their interest lists.

Blitz can sit back with his assets until the lease on the ground expires for football

purpoaes. Is he really bothered about the continuation of the football club. You would think so given his questioned possession of the OEC.

Abdallah cannot sustain the running of the club and is presiding over a slow death.

He always knew his only chance was to secure the ownership of the assets to start making the club a profit making business with the OEC as the  key building in the equation.

At one stage he was prepared to finance a civil action to have the Building returned to the club. He lost interest .

People ridicule and abuse me about my stance regarding the OEC. This is the one and only asset that was invested by the Council to the Club.

Had it been retained where it belongs the club would be financial secure to a point.

That is not the only thing that needs to be resolved. The fans still have a massive role to play in the future of the club. This is not Blackpool who had the money to partly ignore the fans actions. I would merely urge fans to do their bit, but peacefully and lawfully but doing what is necessary is essential. That does not mean stopping fans who have no interest in protest who just want to watch the games.

The hatred and posturing between the groups has to stop and each party must meet together to find and plan a way forward.

it must be seen that Blitz and Lemsagam are called together to discuss the future with a collective group of representatives.

That is a meeting that may eventually have to be forced on the parties if necessary. I would hope it would be voluntary but sometimes people need to be  encouraged to come to the table.

People need to remember that if the actions I am taking,  result in the return of the OEC, that would benefit the financial running of the club. It doesn’t really matters who the owner is. That stand was financed by the rate payers of Oldham for the benefit of our club. I am often mystified how people are missing that point and seem quite content to believe Blitz owns it. In my opinion and  it will be proved that he doesn’t.

There is a future but everyone needs to come together and decide on the actions to be taken.

I hope this helps and apologise for the verbose nature of the mail but your questions deserved a suitable response.

if I have missed anything please come back at me. Of course these are my views only and I appreciate will differ from many others.

Just one question from me Barry

In your opinion

How much would AL sell out for and likewise how much would Brassbank sell out for ?

11 hours ago, Barryowen said:

Hi guys.

Great questions

I told him that would never happen because the club always has more outgoings than income. That also takes into account the solidarity payments from the EFL. He was advised on a way forward regarding the purchases of the.ground and the background with the antics of the OEC

People need to remember that if the actions I am taking,  result in the return of the OEC, that would benefit the financial running of the club. It doesn’t really matters who the owner is. That stand was financed by the rate payers of Oldham for the benefit of our club. I am often mystified how people are missing that point and seem quite content to believe Blitz owns it. In my opinion and  it will be proved that he doesn’t.

That's a really interesting post, thanks.

Regarding ownership of the OEC/North Stand: have you (Barry) approached Oldham Council to see what their view on that particular saga is? If you are confident that Blitz does not own it, then surely the council must have a case against Blitz/the club over misuse of funds?

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

That’s the loan I believe. The money AL sends over is to pay wages.

Do you know this or are you making a not unreasonable guess. Seems very strange that they would pay the wage bill out of his own pocket then leave a highly critical bill like this which means we can't play atleast 1 player and is happering us in other areas.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

That’s the loan I believe. The money AL sends over is to pay wages.

He probably isn't doing this now. The loan from the EFL is probably paying the shortfall for wages and just about keeping the club afloat.

The court case Barry is talking about will take ages to resolve. The club could be gone in that time.

I wonder what happens to the EFL loan if we get relegated.

tFWB and Worcester Owl.

I have to be really careful with all my posts because this site and particularly my post are being monitored by the club. There are lots of things I could say but much needs to be kept for private meetings.

Both parties seek unrealistic money for what they perceive they own. When you look at Wigan going in total for 3 million what do these people think.

Administration for Abdallah would mean losing his investment which he say is between 5-7 million. In today’s market even with an insolvent club he could get a million. He needs to cut his losses and take it.

An interesting factor comes into play in his case. By the end of October everyone will have a better insight as to the position of the club and even now it is not looking bright. Abdallah will also have to re-assess his position and as time passes his position becomes more  vunerable.

I am aware that  some members of the EFL are concerned at the clubs position. You cannot keep lending money to a business in crisis. The other clubs do not like it because in the event of administration the money is lost.

Worcester Owl you touch on a brilliant topic. The reason for my late response is that I have been writing to Oldham Council

all day. I think that basically they are embarrassed for themselves and Jim

McMahon. They are one of the aggrieved parties in this matter and should be one of the complainants.

They always said they would assist the club. They should bloody well be the main players in any complaint.

Millions of pounds of ratepayers money was given to the football club, not Blitz  or Corney for the future financial benefit of the club. The manner of the surrender of the stand in lieu of a debt Blitz claims is laughable. The manner of the surrender was deplorable and the accounts of the club do not justify any claims that are made.

You just cannot pick and chose what you 

think you can take in lieu of a perceived debt which you cannot prove.

Most grants and monies are often protected. Oldham Council did this by ensuring  that no major changes in ownership or transfer of shares could occur until a certain date and certainly without consultation.

This has occurred and they have not acted with the exception of one letter that Corney ignored.

I have urged them to now become the lead agency in acting to get our stand back. After all it was their money.

Let me clarify. At no stage did any board member have knowledge that this surrender of the North Stand from the Club to  Brassbank was taking place. Nor were the Council consulted.

To assist me I have managed to get the support of the District Auditor and will take the council to the Ombudsman if they continue to be passive.

There  needs to be an in-depth investigation not only of the obvious subjects but the Council at large .

I know I am seen to be the odd ball on this topic but I have the evidence that shows the stand is the clubs. I don’t care what Blitz or his legal team claim and they have some questions to answer with the documentation in this case.

I need support from everyone and pressure on the Council from anyone who cares to support me.

I apologise for the  late response and hope this helps.

Glossoplatic.

We are under a registration embargo brought about by the club being one of three in the division who have taken monitored loans.

if you Google the topic ,”are  clubs subjected to restrictions if taking a monitored loan in division2” you will see the conditions that apply.

There Re constraint on the amount you might pay a player which to me is obvious if you are borrowing and I suspect that is the problem with the goalie.

it can be easily resolved with the player if they have the knowhow

itvus easy to remedy and he could have been playing this weekend

On 8/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, tGWB said:

Just one question from me Barry

In your opinion

How much would AL sell out for and likewise how much would Brassbank sell out for ?

Polite Reminder

Barry you may have missed my question so here it is again

I wouldnt give any credence to the fact that the EFL are concerned about the club's position. I heard that they were looking at what was going on at Bury 18 months before Bury folded . Indeed they took a long time to approve AL as fit and proper. I often wonder what assurances the EFL relied on to approve AL's purchase of the club.

Factual wrong Marra. I don’t defend the EfL with Bury or Macclesfield for that matter.

Ther are concern with a number of clubs and Oldham is one of them. Times are different and the need for financial scrutiny is a priority. The EFL are in a catch 22 because they do not want to be seen as being the organisation that oversees the failure of clubs who go into administration. They do try and prevent that occurring if they can but they have limits.AL was approved quite quickly as a first and proper person but that was not the case with his brother. That reason is shrouded in mystery which the EFL who will not reveal due to legal restrictions.

16 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

I wouldnt give any credence to the fact that the EFL are concerned about the club's position. I heard that they were looking at what was going on at Bury 18 months before Bury folded . Indeed they took a long time to approve AL as fit and proper. I often wonder what assurances the EFL relied on to approve AL's purchase of the club.

I expect he had had to prove he wasn't a football agent?

Thank you for the update Barry. 

With reference to 'leadership' losing interest, would it be fair to say that the main player has stepped aside and somebody else's influence has grown in the day to day running of the club under the EFL's nose? 

56 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

Thank you for the update Barry. 

With reference to 'leadership' losing interest, would it be fair to say that the main player has stepped aside and somebody else's influence has grown in the day to day running of the club under the EFL's nose? 

Why would the EFL be concerned about that ?  'Somebody else' is a director of the club - there are plenty of owners who aren't hands on in the running of their clus.  For all the EFL's faults it certainly isn't their job to tell individual member clubs how to manage their affairs.

17 hours ago, Barryowen said:

Factual wrong Marra. I don’t defend the EfL with Bury or Macclesfield for that matter.

Ther are concern with a number of clubs and Oldham is one of them. Times are different and the need for financial scrutiny is a priority. The EFL are in a catch 22 because they do not want to be seen as being the organisation that oversees the failure of clubs who go into administration. They do try and prevent that occurring if they can but they have limits.AL was approved quite quickly as a first and proper person but that was not the case with his brother. That reason is shrouded in mystery which the EFL who will not reveal due to legal restrictions.

Does anyone know how and when the EFL loan has to be repaid, is it  monthly, 1 year, 5 years, longer?

On 8/21/2021 at 12:23 AM, Barryowen said:

tFWB and Worcester Owl.

I have to be really careful with all my posts because this site and particularly my post are being monitored by the club. There are lots of things I could say but much needs to be kept for private meetings.

Both parties seek unrealistic money for what they perceive they own. When you look at Wigan going in total for 3 million what do these people think.

Administration for Abdallah would mean losing his investment which he say is between 5-7 million. In today’s market even with an insolvent club he could get a million. He needs to cut his losses and take it.

An interesting factor comes into play in his case. By the end of October everyone will have a better insight as to the position of the club and even now it is not looking bright. Abdallah will also have to re-assess his position and as time passes his position becomes more  vunerable.

I am aware that  some members of the EFL are concerned at the clubs position. You cannot keep lending money to a business in crisis. The other clubs do not like it because in the event of administration the money is lost.

Worcester Owl you touch on a brilliant topic. The reason for my late response is that I have been writing to Oldham Council

McMahon. They are one of the aggrieved parties in this matter and should be one of the complainants.

They always said they would assist the club. They should bloody well be the main players in any complaint.

Millions of pounds of ratepayers money was given to the football club, not Blitz  or Corney for the future financial benefit of the club. The manner of the surrender of the stand in lieu of a debt Blitz claims is laughable. The manner of the surrender was deplorable and the accounts of the club do not justify any claims that are made.

Most grants and monies are often protected. Oldham Council did this by ensuring  that no major changes in ownership or transfer of shares could occur until a certain date and certainly without consultation.

This has occurred and they have not acted with the exception of one letter that Corney ignored.

I have urged them to now become the lead agency in acting to get our stand back. After all it was their money.

Let me clarify. At no stage did any board member have knowledge that this surrender of the North Stand from the Club to  Brassbank was taking place. Nor were the Council consulted.

To assist me I have managed to get the support of the District Auditor and will take the council to the Ombudsman if they continue to be passive.

There  needs to be an in-depth investigation not only of the obvious subjects but the Council at large .

I know I am seen to be the odd ball on this topic but I have the evidence that shows the stand is the clubs. I don’t care what Blitz or his legal team claim and they have some questions to answer with the documentation in this case.

I need support from everyone and pressure on the Council from anyone who cares to support me.

appreciate you getting back 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:23 AM, Barryowen said:

tFWB and Worcester Owl.

Barry, can i just ask you to clarify a comment that you made  

"By the end of October everyone will have a better insight as to the position of the club and even now it is not looking bright. Abdallah will also have to re-assess his position and as time passes his position becomes more vunerable."

By the end of October? Is this the deadline for the latest annual accounts or is it a significant deadline for the club to meet some EFL financial commitment criteria or similar? 

Also Abdallah will have to reassess his position which becomes more vulnerable? As far as I am aware, Angela Rayner has written to Abdallah to ask for a meeting regarding his intents for his ownership of the club and the future of OAFC as a professional football club in the town. This appears to have fallen on deaf ears, similar to the petition asking him to put OAFC up for sale. 

I believe Abdallah's position is vulnerable but is there something that I missing that maybe would provide more insight into why his position is becoming "more vulnerable"?

Any assistance you can provide to clarify this situation would be very welcome      

Chris you are spot on. For good or bad Abdallah did impose his influence when he was present and showing interest. He is more of a people person to many over and above his brother.

His presence strangely will be missed by quite a few at the club because no matter what his faults, he was able to communicate with staff on a reasonable basis daily.

in my opinion it is now a rudderless ship.

Unsworth I think my comments may be a bit ambiguous. Apologies. At some stage (it might even be January), Abdallah may be forced to re-think his position. Eventually our future will become more clear for good or for bad.

He is hanging on. Even his insolvent club becomes less and less in value and the income from being in the Conference is distinctly less that being a league club. Any owner would need to finance a Conference Club more than a League club and that will hurt him.

it is my guess that once reality kicks in his position will become untenable and he will know that.

Many say that is the position now but he clearly does not see it that way.

I am not being an apologist for Abdallah, (after all he tried to do me irreparable harm for supporting staff and sponsors) but he did have a better presence than those who are currently running the club for him.

Again I hope this help.

Archived