BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 6th Sept '21 Episode 48: Barrowed Time

It's been a busy old week, what with the meeting with Abdallah, Adam, Matt & Ste, more on the pitch protests and a PTB statement declaring they no longer find his leadership "tenable". This week, we talk about all that, the defeat to Barrow and a statement from the Athleticos.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk/, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here: https://fan-hub.com/

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/ and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at http://www.trustoldham.org/

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at https://redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com/

• Matt featured this topic

For posterity, and for ease of reference, here are the statements referred to and discussed in this week's episode; this followed the meeting with Abdallah and Adam which took place on Tues 31st August and the short email response from the club (via Adam) received by OASF (PTB did not receive a reply) on Friday 3rd Sept.

Push the Boundary

1/9/21 - https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/ptb-oasf-club-meeting-01-09-2021

3/9/21 - https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/ptb-action-03-09-2021

Oldham Athletic Supporters Foundation

1/9/21 - http://www.trustoldham.org/2021/09/01/meeting-statement-01-09-21/

4/9/21 - http://www.trustoldham.org/2021/09/04/oasf-statement-now-or-never/

13 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Matt Dean will be on TalkSPORT again at 11:30am TODAY to discuss the situation at the club with Sam Matterface & Danny Murphy. Make sure you tune in.

You may get a little more air time if Jordan & White aren't there.

Good luck and hope you get something out of it.

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

Matt Dean will be on TalkSPORT again at 11:30am TODAY to discuss the situation at the club with Sam Matterface & Danny Murphy. Make sure you tune in.

Really well spoken there, Matt. 

More accommodating show without White and Jordan!

Well done Matt, you were given a bit more freedom to speak,  although 5 minutes is only an introduction, a good 15 minutes would be better suited to get more points accross, but thats nothing to do with you.

What you did say was clear and to the point, Danny Murphy jumped in a couple of times with his disapproval of the ownership.

More national coverage which is what we need, the more people who hear the more chance of other people willing to step in, thats the hope.

Well done again 👍

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Well done Matt, you were given a bit more freedom to speak,  although 5 minutes is only an introduction, a good 15 minutes would be better suited to get more points accross, but thats nothing to do with you.

Matt hit some key points today in the time he was given, but I do think we need acronym that we can reel off, as we’re never going to get the time we need nationally to go into detail. MIFFED, would be my effort:

Mo (General)

Influence (from above on team affairs)

Fan (and staff) treatment

Finances

End Game (what’s their plan?)

Don’t own the ground

🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, BPAS said:

I thought Matt did very well this morning, and even managed to plug the BPAS podcast!

👍

35 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I thought Matt did very well this morning, and even managed to plug the BPAS podcast!

👍

Matt did do well this morning. The two normal (who can shout loudest) people weren't their. Murphy did listen, and Matt was given time. 

On the podcast Matt now says the club needs time, but I remember him saying the owner needs to go now (If I'm not mistaken, I may be), before becoming a director of OASF. The owner has had time and nothing has changed. From what they say happened in the meeting, AL is still spouting the same excuses and doesn't plan on changing anything. Therefore phase 1 has ended, and time has come to find new owners who have enough funds to buy the club and the surrounding land. The main stand and the Chaddy need rebuilding, so they need IMO, at least £20m initially to sort the club and stadium out. Finding people who have that sort of cash to throw at a L2 club will be very difficult. Even if they did there is no guarantee AL would sell. 

If AL is still here at Christmas, the embargo will continue and the January transfer window will be another disaster. If the injuries continue I can only see relegation looming. If that happens and AL then decides he's had enough and doesn't sell, we get a points deduction for entering admin. and end up at the bottom of the NL and another relegation. That's if we survive. Entering admin. for us would effectively be a winding up order, as the administrators have nothing to sell to keep the club operating.

Not listened to Podcast or Matt's Talksport offering today yet. 

I get what al_bro is saying and agree in part but am delighted that the Trust/ Foundation have at least taken on the mantle of challenging the leadership. 

This state of affairs cannot continue, the club will not survive under this regime as an EFL club, there is  no sign of any progress in any part of the club as far as i can see and the overall trajectory of the club is down but at an increasingly alarming rate. If the team survive 2021/22 season in the EFL above the relegation trapdoor, there is no assurance 2022/23 season will be anything different.  I am not convinced that OAFC2004 limited will survive as a company either without significant overhaul and investment. 

The value of Abdallah's investment is plummeting by the day, he has very little in the way of saleable assets so I cannot see how he can possibly get anything like his money back and if it is true that AL is holding out for something in the region of £5million, then he is deluded and the club is stricken and cannot operate unless he steps aside/ accepts significantly less for his share and someone else steps forward to fund the business. 

I get what you are saying about the ground, there are significant improvements needed to 3 of 4 stands, probably all 4. Now I appreciate that this would require massive investment but what do fans think if OAFC could be saved as an EFL club but a new owner either wouldn't or couldn't finance a major upgrade on BP?  For me personally, the club could play anywhere (preferably in Oldham but would accept a short period away from Oldham if required to save the club) as OAFC is the religion, BP is merely the church where fans go to pay homage. 

Far from perfect but the club has got to be saved first, irrespective of what happens to BP as the theatre.             

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Matt did do well this morning. The two normal (who can shout loudest) people weren't their. Murphy did listen, and Matt was given time. 

On the podcast Matt now says the club needs time, but I remember him saying the owner needs to go now (If I'm not mistaken, I may be), before becoming a director of OASF. The owner has had time and nothing has changed. From what they say happened in the meeting, AL is still spouting the same excuses and doesn't plan on changing anything. Therefore phase 1 has ended, and time has come to find new owners who have enough funds to buy the club and the surrounding land. The main stand and the Chaddy need rebuilding, so they need IMO, at least £20m initially to sort the club and stadium out. Finding people who have that sort of cash to throw at a L2 club will be very difficult. Even if they did there is no guarantee AL would sell. 

If AL is still here at Christmas, the embargo will continue and the January transfer window will be another disaster. If the injuries continue I can only see relegation looming. If that happens and AL then decides he's had enough and doesn't sell, we get a points deduction for entering admin. and end up at the bottom of the NL and another relegation. That's if we survive. Entering admin. for us would effectively be a winding up order, as the administrators have nothing to sell to keep the club operating.

This is a new OASF Board. Previous incarnations have failed to hold the club to account properly and represent our collective best interests. Phase 1 of the plan above is this new board's attempt to correct that failure. If the club genuinely want to work with us (supporters) and the new Board of the minority shareholder (our Trust) of the Ltd company, this is their (last) chance. If they don't, we'll know soon enough.....

Andy

5 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

there is no assurance 2022/23 season will be anything different.

If I read the EFL loan detail correctly we have three seasons with hamstrung recruitment and no ability to build any sort of squad stability.

Anyone who shows anything goes on a free at the end of the season- so transfer revenue unless sold in January.

What's the new 3 year plan- hope there are two teams worse than us each season for the next three years and pray for a big FA cup 3rd round draw?

13 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

If I read the EFL loan detail correctly we have three seasons with hamstrung recruitment and no ability to build any sort of squad stability.

Anyone who shows anything goes on a free at the end of the season- so transfer revenue unless sold in January.

What's the new 3 year plan- hope there are two teams worse than us each season for the next three years and pray for a big FA cup 3rd round draw?

The owner won't be here in 3 years.......

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived