MATCH: vs Brentford (A) League Cup 21/09/2021

48 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Having slept on it I have been thinking about last nights game and I really can’t remember seeing such a poor performance by an Oldham team. Clearly it is no disgrace to lose to a team from the top flight....even their B team but it was the total lack of fighting spirit or basic footballing ability that was so shocking.

The kids may or may not have a decent future although they are all pretty lightweight but at least they tried. The more experienced players were just abject and l honestly think my former Saturday pub team would have been capable of at least doing no worse than that shower last night. What it really highlights is that we have a lower table National League team at best....Pidge was excellent against Sutton with the ball in the air and a non league environment but last night with the ball moving quickly on the deck he looked so far out of his depth it was untrue and taking him off at half time was a mercy killing.

It’s almost pointless going through other individual performances, in the first half I don’t think we put two passes together so there isn’t much to say. Every player looked scared, didn’t challenge, played simple passes straight to the opposition and seemed utterly lost. 

I have no idea where we go from here...well actually I know exactly where...Bromley, Maidenhead, Ebsfleet...and as my Son pointed out last night as we plotted our National League tour whilst another 50-50 challenge was lost....”this team is going to struggle at that level”

600 noisy Latics fans last night; the potential remains extraordinary but the reality remains bleak

In all honesty I see planning trips to NL grounds as being very optimistic 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extract from the ’Beesotted Brentford Fans’ Network Post-Match Debrief’:

Room For Improvement

The away end stewards who, if Twitter is to be believed, made Oldham fans take down their protest banners and turn t-shirts inside out if they had offensive messages on. Sad if it’s true and beyond the call of duty. It is not their job to act as henchmen for the Oldham owners.

Fans’ Performance

The Oldham fans were excellent, in numbers, in gallows humour and in song. You can’t blame them for an 80th minute vanishing act. It’s a long way home and they did their club proud tonight.

Don't normally like to repeat unverified rumours but under these circs l'll play the game. l heard the stewards recieved late instructions straight from the top of the brentford hierarchy around half hour after Marco arrived. Must have been using his charm. lf true then their chairman must be one of them elitist, better than us types.

lf false then heres my half hearted don't really giveashit tbh apologies Mr Bees.

👐🏿.

#chairmansunion

3 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Extract from the ’Beesotted Brentford Fans’ Network Post-Match Debrief’:

Room For Improvement

The away end stewards who, if Twitter is to be believed, made Oldham fans take down their protest banners and turn t-shirts inside out if they had offensive messages on. Sad if it’s true and beyond the call of duty. It is not their job to act as henchmen for the Oldham owners.

Fans’ Performance

The Oldham fans were excellent, in numbers, in gallows humour and in song. You can’t blame them for an 80th minute vanishing act. It’s a long way home and they did their club proud tonight.

Agree about the stewards - they were far too officious in their behaviour - I mentioned this to my Brentford mate and he said that there have been complaints from the home fans about the stewards in the Wets Stand too. 

As for the fans.. great volume, great support. 

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Pidge was excellent against Sutton with the ball in the air and a non league environment but last night with the ball moving quickly on the deck he looked so far out of his depth it was untrue and taking him off at half time was a mercy killing.

It’s almost pointless going through other individual performances,

Pidge was poor last night but there were others who were equally as bad.

Diarra, Jameson, Fage, DKD, Bahamboula, Dearnley. All had shocking games.

We were simply outclassed, outmuscled and outplayed all evening. Brentford were faster, stronger, technically superior to us. 

We just crumbled in the face of this and it could have been more.

I can accept that the huge number of injuries and restrictions on recruitment imposed by the embargo are a large factor in the performance on the pitch.

What I cannot accept is the inability of so many on the pitch to do the basics right - our passing, tackling, shooting, positional play was abject to say the least. 

It was men against boys. 

And it was embarrassing 😳 

Jus waitin to see the goals again on SSNews. They are four divisions and about 80 places above us so l'm not getting hung up on the scoreline or the sub par performance, theyre just streets ahead and sometimes it can make extremely uncomfortable viewing.

Jus waiting for Latics22 to come along and abuse the away following as he likes to do. lt's also his birthday today so he's gona be double grumpy. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STINGRAY 😘😘

ps l think he blocked me bc l kept making him look silly, so if anybody wants to quote me so he accidentally sees l still unfathomably love the weird gossippy cunt that would be great 👍🏻

Just now, Monty Burns said:

Jus waitin to see the goals again on SSNews. They are four divisions and about 80 places above us so l'm not getting hung up on the scoreline or the sub par performance, theyre just streets ahead and sometimes it can make extremely uncomfortable viewing.

Jus waiting for Latics22 to come along and abuse the away following as he likes to do. lt's also his birthday today so he's gona be double grumpy. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STINGRAY 😘😘

ps l think he blocked me bc l kept making him look silly, so if anybody wants to quote me so he accidentally sees l still unfathomably love the weird gossippy cunt that would be great 👍🏻

I didnt go last night so don't know how it went. But reminded me of the game we got pumped 6 nil off spurs. Any team in league 2 will get outclassed, out run, passed off the park. But as with Fulham away and the countless other upset we've caused, and upsets other teams have caused, its all come from standing toe to toe and dying of exhaustion for the team. That spurs game we had no fight, no energy, no strength. Sounds like last night was the same. The very least you want to see from your team is effort and fight. Owners will be difficult to remove and replace, but managers are easy to replace. Get rid of curle before Rochdale on Saturday. Dont care if they get a Sunday league manager in as long as he makes his team fight. Because if this team goes in to a Derby away at Rochdale and doesn't show fight and passion then the place will get very ugly very quickly and it won't just be the owners on the end of the stick

Just watched the highlights, what was obvious was the lack of desire from the players with half hearted attempts to close down opponents. No matter what level this is unacceptable. You see more commitment on a Sunday on Clayton Playing fields than from some of these so called professionals.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just watched the highlights, what was obvious was the lack of desire from the players with half hearted attempts to close down opponents. No matter what level this is unacceptable. You see more commitment on a Sunday on Clayton Playing fields than from some of these so called professionals.

Yeah, we knew Brentford were going to be better technically, even if it was their reserves. But there was absolutely no excuse for the lack of desire or commitment last night. Players were being shrugged off the ball easier than I'd expect my 5 year old niece to be. Embarrassing performance 

19 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I didnt go last night so don't know how it went. But reminded me of the game we got pumped 6 nil off spurs. Any team in league 2 will get outclassed, out run, passed off the park. But as with Fulham away and the countless other upset we've caused, and upsets other teams have caused, its all come from standing toe to toe and dying of exhaustion for the team. That spurs game we had no fight, no energy, no strength. Sounds like last night was the same. The very least you want to see from your team is effort and fight. Owners will be difficult to remove and replace, but managers are easy to replace. Get rid of curle before Rochdale on Saturday. Dont care if they get a Sunday league manager in as long as he makes his team fight. Because if this team goes in to a Derby away at Rochdale and doesn't show fight and passion then the place will get very ugly very quickly and it won't just be the owners on the end of the stick

I went to the 6 nil pumping by spurs at Boundary Park, and the main difference is that when we were beaten 6 nil by Spurs, we had 11 players who were playing for the shirt and were just outclassed on the night. Jermaine Defoe bagged IIRC. Last night not only were we completely outclassed, but we didn't even show the slightest bit of desire to make the game even slightly competitive. Rolled over like wounded animals from the starting whistle. No excuse for it. Smashing it straight their keeper from the kick off summed everything up for me, physically and mentally not fit to be pros, most of those players out there, and got rightly slated. There's players in this squad, DKD, Callum Whelan, Carl Piergianni, they'd struggle to get in Springhead's side on a Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree about the stewards - they were far too officious in their behaviour - I mentioned this to my Brentford mate and he said that there have been complaints from the home fans about the stewards in the Wets Stand too. 

As for the fans.. great volume, great support. 

I've just watched the highlights. They did score some bloody good goals, in fairness to your players.

Anyway, I came on to comment about the stewards. Last time we were at Griffin Park was also for a night match when we were on a precipitous slide and they had forty attempts at goal and we lost 4-0. Like you we were angry, boisterous and showing gallows humour and we got the same sort of heavy-handed treatment from their stewards as some of you fans are saying they did. They were aggressive, humourless and completely inappropriate. And this is probably five years ago.

I don' t know why that  is.  GP was always one of my favourite away grounds, not least because you had a choice of four pubs where you could have a pint and a friendly natter with the locals. Inside the ground in later years, not nearly as good.

They have a long way to go to match the officious pricks at Swindon though.

35 minutes ago, JTM said:

I went to the 6 nil pumping by spurs at Boundary Park, and the main difference is that when we were beaten 6 nil by Spurs, we had 11 players who were playing for the shirt and were just outclassed on the night. Jermaine Defoe bagged IIRC. 

We competed pretty well in that game till legs gave out:

Goals: Kanoute 37, Keane 64, Defoe 71, Bunjevcevic 87, Gardner 90, Kanoute 90.

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I seem to remember we were well in the game until they brought Defoe on who was just a class apart. A front three of Defoe, Keane and Kanoute is quite something, didn't realise all 3 had played 

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I went to the 6 nil pumping by spurs at Boundary Park, and the main difference is that when we were beaten 6 nil by Spurs, we had 11 players who were playing for the shirt and were just outclassed on the night. Jermaine Defoe bagged IIRC. Last night not only were we completely outclassed, but we didn't even show the slightest bit of desire to make the game even slightly competitive. Rolled over like wounded animals from the starting whistle. No excuse for it. Smashing it straight their keeper from the kick off summed everything up for me, physically and mentally not fit to be pros, most of those players out there, and got rightly slated. There's players in this squad, DKD, Callum Whelan, Carl Piergianni, they'd struggle to get in Springhead's side on a Sunday morning.

And the lad from Spurs who doesnt seem to realise this isn't academy football where you can stroll around as you like.

Show some heart and desire, it's a harsh lesson to young players, but talent alone will get you nowhere in the competitive game.

24 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Watched that in a bar in Madrid, think l met the only person in the whole of Madrid who didn't have a deep seated ingrained hatred for the English. Up until right now l thought we lost that match 8-0 😂😂😂

Just watched the lowlights from last night, one attempted tackle from Pidge for the penalty, one unsuccessful attempted tackle in the build up to the second goal. No tackles or attempts from any Latics player in the build up to the other five goals as no one was anywhere near the man with the ball, kind of tells you something doesn't it. Unless the opposition actually gives us the ball, no one is going to win it, f---ing Stevie Wonder could waltz through our midfield.

Been said already but the lack of effort was the thing I cant deal with. Kicking straight down the pitch from kick off, what the fuck is that about? Why give away possession immediately? Not sure who it was at 3 or 4 down who decided a back heel was a good idea on the edge of the area also but these are just simple things. Left at half time for the pub. If they can't be arsed neither can I.

2 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Didn’t go last night either, but not sure about the Spurs game comparison.

Spurs had a world class team that night and even in spite of that, there was a hope against hope pre-match that we might cause an upset. Last night, everyone saw the result coming. Against Brentford reserves (Brentford a team who I refuse to acknowledge as bigger than us). We also (if I remember rightly) weren’t getting dicked in the league every week.

The performances some players put in are amateur. They don’t even have the hunger and we can’t bring anyone else in.

People have been predicting the club’s demise for the last 20 years and I’ve always laughed at how we have kept surviving.

This season however we are fooked and I can’t see a way out of it.

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Been said already but the lack of effort was the thing I cant deal with. Kicking straight down the pitch from kick off, what the fuck is that about? Why give away possession immediately? Not sure who it was at 3 or 4 down who decided a back heel was a good idea on the edge of the area also but these are just simple things. Left at half time for the pub. If they can't be arsed neither can I.

The attempt from the kickoff was actually a shot.. trying to catch out the keeper. Shame that it missed the goal by a good 20 yards  😱

Archived