Relegation.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be awful to drop out of the football league after 125 years but looking at that National League table it is littered with some quality former league clubs, providing we could be competitive I don’t think it would be quite the disaster we predict.

The attendances are actually quite phenomenal and put our average over recent seasons to shame.

Here are the last couple of home crowds of recent former league teams….

Chesterfield 8000  6500 

Grimsby   5000  6000  

Southend 5000  6000   

Stockport 9000   5000  

Notts Co  6000  9000  

Chesterfield, Stockport & Notts Co are challenging at the top whereas new recruits Grimsby (mid table) & Southend (bottom 6) aren’t doing too well but attendances are holding up well.

It has been a difficult period in the history of our club, with a fresh start and a new forward thinking board perhaps it would help repair the damage of the last few seasons and give the fan base a bit of a lift!

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It would be awful to drop out of the football league after 125 years but looking at that National League table it is littered with some quality former league clubs, providing we could be competitive I don’t think it would be quite the disaster we predict.

The attendances are actually quite phenomenal and put our average over recent seasons to shame.

Chesterfield 8000  6500 

Grimsby   5000  6000  

Southend 5000  6000   

Stockport 9000   5000  

Notts Co  6000  9000  

Chesterfield, Stockport & Notts Co are challenging at the top whereas new recruits Grimsby (mid table) & Southend (bottom 6) aren’t doing too well but attendances are holding up well.

It has been a difficult period in the history of our club, with a fresh start and a new forward thinking board perhaps it would help repair the damage of the last few seasons and give the fan base a bit of a lift!

I would be devastated if we went down but bigger and more illustrious clubs have been there. Doncaster and Luton show that u can recover and thrive, and stockport chesterfield seem to be getting good attendances whilst winning games so if they can we could also. Anyway long way to go get…..

it’s a big week. Let’s be honest if u want to stay up in this league u can do easily. The standard is shite. 4-5 decent signings including a goal scorer and you’d stay up. Will come down to how much ALMO spend and if they clear the debt. Not hopeful but hopefully we see some inbound signings 

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Chesterfield 8000  6500 

Grimsby   5000  6000  

Southend 5000  6000   

Stockport 9000   5000  

Notts Co  6000  9000  

This is really Divison 3, but better run than the EFL.

24 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The National League make the EFL look competent.  The way they've dealt with clubs folding and Covid in recent seasons have been a clown show compared to the league.

Dover fans would certainly agree 

It doesn't matter how much we tart-up the National League to soften the blow of the inevitable, we all know that until those two fucking imbeciles get their backsides out of our club, then the same old tat and feeble excuses will be served up to us.

Unless miracles do actually happen, I'm really not expecting Sheridan in as manager or any striker capable of making a difference to a team full of can't-be-arsed players. It's probably just a case now of trying not to go down with the lowest number of points ever recorded.

It's so annoying that years, even decades of the fans' emotional and financial investment in the club has been tossed aside by two incompetent loons of the highest degree.

Tragic.

EDIT!!!

**Obviously, I hadn't read the Sheridan Back thread before posting this.** 😄

54 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It doesn't matter how much we tart-up the National League to soften the blow of the inevitable, we all know that until those two fucking imbeciles get their backsides out of our club, then the same old tat and feeble excuses will be served up to us.

Unless miracles do actually happen, I'm really not expecting Sheridan in as manager or any striker capable of making a difference to a team full of can't-be-arsed players. It's probably just a case now of trying not to go down with the lowest number of points ever recorded.

It's so annoying that years, even decades of the fans' emotional and financial investment in the club has been tossed aside by two incompetent loons of the highest degree.

Tragic.

EDIT!!!

**Obviously, I hadn't read the Sheridan Back thread before posting this.** 😄

Have u been living under a rock😂

Just woken from a weird nanna nap.

I can remember watching TV and the presenter said "meanwhile, at the bottom, Stevenage, who  needed to win to relegate Carlisle, could only manage a draw and will join Scunthorpe in the National League next season. The bottom 5 were on display and we were not there.

Having said that, we were probably in administration

Whilst there you can look at the National League and make some positive comments about it, be under no illusion - it is a disaster, you are very quickly off the footballing map, and whilst some clubs have a bounce and comeback - many do not and we are not currently anywhere close to the sort of week organised club that you'd be confident would do that.  We would be more likely to continue to sink.

Looking at the current table there are at least 8 teams that I would have considered to be a 'football league club' and be thinking 'how are they down there?'.  With only 2 down and 2 up, its a hard process to get out of there (and looking at the bottom of League 2 / Top of National League at the moment it will be the same next season).

On 1/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, L1onheartNew said:

Just woken from a weird nanna nap.

I can remember watching TV and the presenter said "meanwhile, at the bottom, Stevenage, who  needed to win to relegate Carlisle, could only manage a draw and will join Scunthorpe in the National League next season. The bottom 5 were on display and we were not there.

Having said that, we were probably in administration

Alternate reality or should you change your username to Nostradamus? 🙃

9 minutes ago, TJ1952 said:

Two good results at Barrow and Scunthorpe tonight

Keep The Faith !!!!

Whilst this is true, the defeat of Salford by Colchester last weekend is probably a bigger deciding factor in the fate of the club, I feel.

Archived