Relegation.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

O’Keefe was my MotM!

He should have been sent off. Having been booked he fouled Hart for what could easily have been a second yellow, and later booted the ball into the Chaddy End after the referee had blown for a free kick to us. Not to mention his arguing with the ref and linesman.

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

He should have been sent off. Having been booked he fouled Hart for what could easily have been a second yellow, and later booted the ball into the Chaddy End after the referee had blown for a free kick to us. Not to mention his arguing with the ref and linesman.

True but he was their best player and a cut above anyone we've brought in on a free. Mansfield must be well off for players if they didn't want him.

Shez has worked the magic yet again however, It’s not over by a long way yet……we still have to play every single team in the top 12 as it stands.

I hope we can be fairly comfortable at the end of March, a month which includes 4 successive home games, because our fixtures in April are horrendous.

I do not want to have to go to Tranmere needing a win to stay up…my ticker won’t stand it!!😂

Another great game, and good to follow up with a win at home after the result on Saturday.  Such a transformation in these players since Shez arrived.

It does raise the question about whether those who said it wouldn't matter who the manager was (including me) were right or not.  I think we're in a very unique set of circumstances here. I don't think there's another realistic manager out there who would have got such massive personal support from the fans instantly.  He asked the fans to forget what has gone before and get behind the team and the fans have agreed. Shez has had the benefit of huge numbers of fans chanting at all 3 games he's been in charge of, or I should say he's earned that benefit. He's also creating a cup tie underdog mentality in the squad. This in turn gets the fans even more behind the team and will lead to more confidence in the players.

I don't see this way of playing as sustainable over the course of a full season if looking to compete at the top end for example.  But it is exactly what we needed if we were going to stay up.  To be fair, it's not all blood and guts, he has got us more organised, more direct and playing further up the pitch.  But the key to his start has been the attitude of players and fans.  I just don't think we'd have got that from any other manager coming in.

Feels like he could actually pull this off now. Get that statue ready!

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Another great game, and good to follow up with a win at home after the result on Saturday.  Such a transformation in these players since Shez arrived.

It does raise the question about whether those who said it wouldn't matter who the manager was (including me) were right or not.  I think we're in a very unique set of circumstances here. I don't think there's another realistic manager out there who would have got such massive personal support from the fans instantly.  He asked the fans to forget what has gone before and get behind the team and the fans have agreed. Shez has had the benefit of huge numbers of fans chanting at all 3 games he's been in charge of, or I should say he's earned that benefit. He's also creating a cup tie underdog mentality in the squad. This in turn gets the fans even more behind the team and will lead to more confidence in the players.

I don't see this way of playing as sustainable over the course of a full season if looking to compete at the top end for example.  But it is exactly what we needed if we were going to stay up.  To be fair, it's not all blood and guts, he has got us more organised, more direct and playing further up the pitch.  But the key to his start has been the attitude of players and fans.  I just don't think we'd have got that from any other manager coming in.

Whilst he may have bored us to death in the process I don't think Curle would have taken us down in the end

Selim absolutely would have!

As someone who used the term dinosaur (going off his impacts at Swindon and Wigan) I would have Sheridan all day long and I kind of hope if he keeps us up, the clowns leave and he remains in charge for our promotion charge next season

I know I need to calm down but after being thoroughly depressed supporting us the last 3 years I am enjoying this as much as I can 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Whilst he may have bored us to death in the process I don't think Curle would have taken us down in the end

Selim absolutely would have!

As someone who used the term dinosaur (going off his impacts at Swindon and Wigan) I would have Sheridan all day long and I kind of hope if he keeps us up, the clowns leave and he remains in charge for our promotion charge next season

I know I need to calm down but after being thoroughly depressed supporting us the last 3 years I am enjoying this as much as I can 

Selim was a ridiculous appointment showing a total lack of awareness of what is needed in a relegation scrap and summed up so much of the Lemsagam reign... lacking in planning, done on the cheap.

I think I agree about Curle. Although he was 50% culpable for the lack of strikers, so I'm not sure if he would have rectified that in January. But it would have been no fun at all and at best we'd have limped our way to 22nd with crowds dwindling.

Since Shez came in it's been such a breath of fresh air, I am now watching when I can and am absolutely gutted my daughter's birthday party was arranged for this saturday at 3pm pre-Shez when I didn't give a shit.  Would loved to have gone to Newport! Other than now standing a decent chance of staying up, hopefully the supporters are now a great advert to prospective new owners for what the club could be.

27 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You are right about the cup tie aspect.

The Bristol Rovers players were technically better than ours, but our fighting spirit won the match.

Hope we can do this every match and when tiredness and injures result we have the squad to fill in and do the same job.

If we do stay up and he does stay he needs to learn from the last time it happened. He stuck mainly with the same players and it ended badly. Although if they’d kept him and let him bed in HIS signings (not wellens) Doyle, Byrne and the rest. We would have stayed up that season.

40 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If we do stay up and he does stay he needs to learn from the last time it happened. He stuck mainly with the same players and it ended badly. Although if they’d kept him and let him bed in HIS signings (not wellens) Doyle, Byrne and the rest. We would have stayed up that season.

he may revert to Plan A and retire to Spain regardless

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Don't forget who still owns the club. He may not get kept on at season end if we stay up or not, especially if he then decides he would like to be paid for his efforts!!!

He said he's not doing it for free.  I think it's a six month job and he'll be off regardless

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I think people forget they are just people.  Hands up anyone who's never had a slack day at work.

I can give them a slack day in training, but when you are competitively performing 50 times a year, I'm sorry but there is little excuse. 

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

shez and other decent managers would get more out of the team. Curle would 100% taken us down. He allowed the club to be set up with hope as the only striker when he isn’t really a target man type amd has spent most of his career as attacking mid. That in itself is shocking. Then he played him right wing back. Selim just doesn’t know league 2 well enough. Shez has immediately got two strikers in, played the experienced players, got some shape to team and made them work hard. Not done anything amazing. both curle and selim got the flak and sack their work deserved. They were both sub standard. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Careca9 said:

shez and other decent managers would get more out of the team. Curle would 100% taken us down. He allowed the club to be set up with hope as the only striker when he isn’t really a target man type amd has spent most of his career as attacking mid. That in itself is shocking. Then he played him right wing back. Selim just doesn’t know league 2 well enough. Shez has immediately got two strikers in, played the experienced players, got some shape to team and made them work hard. Not done anything amazing. both curle and selim got the flak and sack their work deserved. They were both sub standard. 

you can also guarantee that MO is having zero input on the playing side at all which will make a massive difference 

A lot has been said about the possibility of a PL founder member going out of the EFL so I had a look at the FL founder members. 
Just 12 of them back in 1888 and two have left. Notts County and Accrington ( different to Stanley). 
So 10 have distinction of 134 years membership of top leagues in England . 

Archived