MATCH: vs Port Vale (H) 20/11/21

After the woes of the season so far, you could not fault the effort and desire of the players today.

And that attitude may just keep us in the division, although outplayed for most of the game they battled away, and grabbed a win from the jaws of defeat.

Well done lads, and more of the same in the next few months would go some way to paper over the awful start to the season.

It's a credit to the TEAM that whilst misfiring all over the pitch as individuals, as a group, they came out of this with 3 points.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great away following, nice too more home fans back in boundary park aswell, great result despite being the second best team on the pitch today, loved Dearnelys & Cuotos determination today 👏🏼 really hope this is the turning point but another tough game faces us on Tuesday night.

It's the hope that kills us.. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

100% was shouting “fuck you” I was 3 yards from him celebrating at the front. To be fair he was looking in the direction of the directors box, but doubtful he’d be shouting that too his employers, although he may be as pissed off as we are with them haha!

As the directors box had Selim, his other half and kids, plus Steve Brown in it but no Abdallah nor Mo. Something I would guess Curle was aware of he could act with a bit of impunity. I don’t think he would have been directing the tirade at Selim nor Steve Brown.

FWIW One of Selim’s lads was clapping along with the RRE at times and seemed to love the atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

As the directors box had Selim, his other half and kids, plus Steve Brown in it but no Abdallah nor Mo. Something I would guess Curle was aware of he could act with a bit of impunity. I don’t think he would have been directing the tirade at Selim nor Steve Brown.

FWIW One of Selim’s lads was clapping along with the RRE at times and seemed to love the atmosphere.

I saw Chaddy clapping along to some of the anti Lemsagam chants. That tickled me. 

7 hours ago, oafc21 said:

😂quality curle saying fuck you to the fans 🤦🏻‍♂️ of all folk!! My first home game today, all we ask for is a bit of effort and bite, which is what we got today, but AL/MO need to f#ck off 🤡

I wouldn't blame him if he did tell the fans to fuck off - he was getting dog's abuse for the majority of the game...

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He didn’t help himself with the comments about fans ‘doing their job’ though did he?

Pah, it was my first home game of the season yesterday but if this forum and Twitter is anything to go by, I would suggest he's been getting similar abuse in games long before his comments yesterday...

8 hours ago, oafc21 said:

😂quality curle saying fuck you to the fans 🤦🏻‍♂️ of all folk!! My first home game today, all we ask for is a bit of effort and bite, which is what we got today, but AL/MO need to f#ck off 🤡

Lets look at it in the cold light of day, we were overrun for most of the game, the effort and bite only came late on when Hart and Piergianni added some weight to the attack we looked like scoring.

If a team is 2nd best and outmusled for most of the game and the tactics are poor fans will strongly air their views.  I for one will. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if in his early interviews Curle trotted out the usual lines of winning the fans over, earning their support etc. New managers usually do. 

Then when we’ve been shit for ages and they get some stick, suddenly the fans need to back the team and stop being so negative. 

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Lets look at it in the cold light of day, we were overrun for most of the game, the effort and bite only came late on when Hart and Piergianni added some weight to the attack we looked like scoring.

If a team is 2nd best and outmusled for most of the game and the tactics are poor fans will strongly air their views.  I for one will. 

Right, well Curle probably feels he has the right to give it back when things work out for us.

I hope you've been lambasting the owners with the level of abuse to the power of ten that you've been giving Curle?

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Looking where Fane ended up that doesn't sound encouraging, despite dome of the bizarre predictionsmade about him early doors by some. I've seen Cisse once and whike he looks like he can put in a tackle his footballing ability is limited at best. I saw lads playing 6th tier South today would probably be technically  better than him.

To be fair, having your ankle snapped in training by a team mate isn't always the best help to a career. Fane would stroll into this side. He was strong, quick and could tackle. As long as you have someone more creative to come for the short pass then he was decent. Couldn't play him with Whelan because he spends half the game turning backwards or hiding from the ball

First game at BP since the 19/20 season. Thought in the main we were bloody awful, but said early doors that the only way we were going to score was from set-pieces and ‘sticking it in the mixer’.. Port Vale must be absolutely kicking themselves, but that’s football I suppose.

There was a decent atmosphere in the RRE. Hearing the Vale fans singing “get out of their club..” made me smile.

Agree with comments about the state of the ground. No doubt senior officials in the club will blame the fans for not turning up week-on-week.

31 minutes ago, disjointed said:

This..... If you give it out you should be prepared to take it back. 

Not very professional though is it?

im quite prepared to take it back but it’s not something you do in work

i work for a construction company digging up large parts of the Lake District, we take abuse everyday day from the public - I guarantee we would be out of jobs if we returned it 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Right, well Curle probably feels he has the right to give it back when things work out for us.

I hope you've been lambasting the owners with the level of abuse to the power of ten that you've been giving Curle?

The  owner has to go I've said that many times, Curle is his appointed manager and if I don't like the set up or his tactics and I will say so.  You have your own opinion and that's fine by me 

As a paid observer of the game for many years I believe Curle cannot see what's  going wrong early enough and becomes a firefighter.

Cisse should never have come out for the 2nd half, I think everyone in the ground could see that but the manager, and almost immediately afterwards Port Vale scored.

I don't blame Cisse or Hopcutt, they are clearly lacking match fitness, they aren't ready to start games yet and Curle should know that.

He talks of fear, yet he was feared  himself of bringing young Simms on instead of  persevering  yet again with the ineffective Hope.

If performances improve I will praise the manager, but despite yesterday's win I have major doubts.

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

i work for a construction company digging up large parts of the Lake District, we take abuse everyday day from the public - I guarantee we would be out of jobs if we returned it 

Digging up the Lake District is far worse than being a average football manager. I'm no Curle fan but to stand there and take shit for something that isn't wholly his fault, good on the bloke for giving it back. 

Is there any correlation between having both a decent and vocally supportive attendance and a near fully fit squad to choose from, and a spirited fight back and win? Like it or not, the players will put in that extra ounce of effort if they are being supported - the 12th man principle. Home support is crucial to a successful team, though of course doesn’t guarantee it if other things aren’t in place.

Patience with Mr Curle is clearly running thin, but yesterday’s win also came without the input of our ‘two most saleable assets’. 

13 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Digging up the Lake District is far worse than being a average football manager. I'm no Curle fan but to stand there and take shit for something that isn't wholly his fault, good on the bloke for giving it back. 

3 at the back and Hallam Hope are completely his fault 

and whilst digging it up was a bit generic, we are trying to stop people’s houses flooding every winter we are also doing what Curle is - our job 

no one deserves abuse (and for the record I haven’t given Curle any apart from calling him a tit here) in work but it’s also across many spectrum considered to be ill advised to give it back especially to customers - give it a go sometime let me know how you get on 

1 hour ago, JED said:

Is there any correlation between having both a decent and vocally supportive attendance and a near fully fit squad to choose from, and a spirited fight back and win? Like it or not, the players will put in that extra ounce of effort if they are being supported - the 12th man principle. Home support is crucial to a successful team, though of course doesn’t guarantee it if other things aren’t in place.

Patience with Mr Curle is clearly running thin, but yesterday’s win also came without the input of our ‘two most saleable assets’. 

So you sit there and applaud while you witness dysfunctional tactics, players failing to tackle or close down opponents and strikers who never look like scoring, this while the team gets outmuscled and given the runaround.

I didn't see much to be happy about for 80 minutes yesterday and IMO the fight back was down to a few never say die players. More of them and perhaps we will have something to encourage.

KC has a transfer  window in January, we will see even if its  loanees and free agents if he can improve his squad and willing to change his tactics accordingly.

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If you want to work up here on construction, build us a bloody motorway from the west coast to penrith........ all will be forgiven then.

and whilst digging it up was a bit generic, we are trying to stop people’s houses flooding every winter we are also doing what Curle is - our job 

no one deserves abuse (and for the record I haven’t given Curle any apart from calling him a tit here) in work but it’s also across many spectrum considered to be ill advised to give it back especially to customers - give it a go sometime let me know how you get on 

The difference there is the abuse you're getting is really directed at the organisation you work for, rather than you. Curle is getting abuse personally for the decisions he's making by people who think they know better. 

Not advisable to give it back, obviously (and we don't actually know it was directed at the fans..) but, in a comparatively highly charged atmosphere, you can sympathise with him after being called all sorts in the earshot of thousands of people...

I did say it wasn't wholly his fault, not "it isn't his fault". There are numerous other reasons which we are all aware of, being stubborn with his 3 at the back isn't a vote winner with me but I assume some of the abuse thrown at him isn't particularly pleasant. 

Perhaps I'm lucky working in engineering where we give it and take it and just laugh it off. 

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The difference there is the abuse you're getting is really directed at the organisation you work for, rather than you. Curle is getting abuse personally for the decisions he's making by people who think they know better. 

Not advisable to give it back, obviously (and we don't actually know it was directed at the fans..) but, in a comparatively highly charged atmosphere, you can sympathise with him after being called all sorts in the earshot of thousands of people...

Managers are idolised by fans when doing well, but the opposite when not. Happens at  every club. Take the rough with the smooth is the saying I think.

Archived