MATCH: vs Rochdale (H) 29/01/22

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Can’t agree with that. Luckily Rochdale were as bad up front as we were and missed at least two sitters in front of the Chaddy End. O’Keefe in particular botched a tap-in, which was nice as he should have had a second yellow by then for diving (not to mention kicking the ball away later after we’d been given a free kick).

Missilou MOTM, couldn’t hear the award being given to Whelan due to atrocious acoustics in the JRS.

Plenty of spirit today, but that won’t be enough to keep us up. We are absolutely lightweight upfront, powderpuff stuff. Two poor teams + high wind = a dreadful match.

Fair enough.

I suppose the perspective is completely different when you are at the game rather than watching it via i-paranormal activity cam.

Missile though...

Best player on the pitch.

Nice to see decent crowds at boundary park again along with the surrounding pubs being busy and seeing some old mates over the course of the day.

On to the football.. whilst we definitely looked harder to score against we offered very little going forward this needs to change going in to the Scunthorpe game if we lose there were as good as gone.

Missilou MOTM for me 

In Shez We Trust

Was anyone else on the North Stand concourse during the match suspension when they tannoyed that the stand needed to be evacuated and everyone should head to the exits?

That wasn't seemingly announced to those in the seats. The only tannoy announcement that was made to the NS stand seats was that those in the JRS had to leave through the back. Utter shambles.

That stand is so badly designed. Always very long queues when there's a modest crowd and very crowded concourses. The club have lucked out in a way that we've not had a sell out since it was opened.

The above is all very negative so to balance - it was my first game back yesterday since pandemic due to boycott and I thought it was really special to be part of the atmosphere around the ground. Hopefully Couto is sold to clear the embargo today or tomorrow and AL uses the ticket revenue to fund two strikers for the rest of the season to give us a chance - in which case I'll be happy to come back again.

25 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Was anyone else on the North Stand concourse during the match suspension when they tannoyed that the stand needed to be evacuated and everyone should head to the exits?

That wasn't seemingly announced to those in the seats. The only tannoy announcement that was made to the NS stand seats was that those in the JRS had to leave through the back. Utter shambles.

That stand is so badly designed. Always very long queues when there's a modest crowd and very crowded concourses. The club have lucked out in a way that we've not had a sell out since it was opened.

The above is all very negative so to balance - it was my first game back yesterday since pandemic due to boycott and I thought it was really special to be part of the atmosphere around the ground. Hopefully Couto is sold to clear the embargo today or tomorrow and AL uses the ticket revenue to fund two strikers for the rest of the season to give us a chance - in which case I'll be happy to come back again.

Crying out for the two strikers you mention. I hate to keep banging the same drum but that’s still nowhere near enough. Creating chances for the strikers is still a massive problem. 

My player assessment:

Rogers - didn’t have a single shot to save but looked comfortable on crosses despite the swirling wind. His kicking improved once he figured out the conditions…

Clarke - steady game at right back - mostly dealt comfortably with his opponent.

Piergianni - played a captain’s game - won every aerial battle and, despite his customary mistake, was vital to us keeping a clean sheet.

McGahey - one or two misplaced passes but looked calm alongside Pidge and showed his experience at the vital moments.

Hart - my MotM - a lot of Rochdale’s play came down his wing (O’Keefe and Newby teamed up well) but he put in any number of tackles and still got down the flank to support the attack.

Missilou - brought tenacity to the midfield and despite his lack of game time kept going to the end. His last minute run into the area could have won the game.

Hunt - started well shows some neat skills but faded badly and struggled to cope with the conditions.

Whelan - given the man of the match… I can only think it was his Nan in the sponsors lounge… had a poor game constantly giving the ball away.

Adams - hugely involved in the game providing an outlet on the right. Let down a little by his crossing but maybe the wind played a part.

Keilor-Dunn - was on the periphery for  the whole game not challenging much and contributed little.

Bahamboula - has obviously been told to pass the ball more quickly and I thought he worked hard but playing as a lone striker does not suit him.

The subs - Stobbs and Hopcutt - showed some good touches but nothing more.

Ultimately the conditions won out but in the end, the point won was just about deserved.

Great crowd and atmosphere - with the Athleticos particularly good value 👍

41 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Reflecting on the game yesterday.

I really enjoyed my day out of Cumbria. Was the football great no, but something just felt different, some players will improve under shez, even if its just attitude and effort.

The crowd was great, felt like the old BP again.

I've read plenty of posts on here and twitter and so many people seem very dissapointed by the performance yesterday, I dont know what they expected other than a bit more of a plan, tenacity and pride, I believe I saw some of that and some improvement. Now we are desperately missing someone up top to just be a handful and bring the likes of DKD into play, we aint getting a proven goal scorer but we may get an experienced lump who could cause the opposition defences to have more on their minds than, well nothing really.

Missile will make a difference, and while our defence isn't great, its the least of our problems.

Bahamboula has to play as a winger and Whelan for me is not good enough, looks lost on the ball when he should be driving forward with it or at least moving the ball in front of him, gives it away too much also.

So yes not a great day on the pitch but imo some glimpse of improvement, we would have lost this game two weeks ago.

Bring a forward in if we can and let shez carry on to put some fight and structure into the team, he's no magician tho.

I will be making the long trip ( for me ) to Scunthorpe next week and if we can beat them that should instill a little more belief and make those above us start to worry a little more.

Hope the poor fella taken ill recovers and thoughts to him and his family.

Spot on.

15 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

What was the attendance ? And Rochdale singing that our support is fuckin shit and there’re taking over our town was embarrassing 

Couldn’t hear anything in the Rochdale road end. And what was all that yellow sheets on the floor. Think it was paint but don’t know where from. And if bam was asked to release the ball earlier he didn’t listen.

15 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The positive that needs to be taken today is that any potential owner will have hopefully seen that attendance, and seen their is potential. I didn't attend today, but probably would have done if circumstances allowed, I don't think I was the only one either who could have added to that crowd.

It does show how badly the Lemsagams failed, because if they had done things properly that would be a regular attendance. They won't admit it and probably won't even realise it, they are too thick for that.

We all knew John Sheridan couldn't be expected to come in and wave a magic wand and solve this, it needed signings, just slightly better than what we have will probably be enough in key positions. I'm not expecting what we bring in will be what's required on Monday and it won't be enough, but the attendance today gives me a little bit of hope for the future.

Keep hearing this about the number of fans that turned up today. They didn't turn up in those numbers when Lemsagam took over before he did anything wrong. I heard how many would return once Corney left - it didn't happen and it won't happen when Lemsagam leaves unless the team is winning on a regular basis. It boils down to results. Yes, people wanted to be there for Shezs return, lets see how many home fans are at the next home game.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Keep hearing this about the number of fans that turned up today. They didn't turn up in those numbers when Lemsagam took over before he did anything wrong. I heard how many would return once Corney left - it didn't happen and it won't happen when Lemsagam leaves unless the team is winning on a regular basis. It boils down to results. Yes, people wanted to be there for Shezs return, lets see how many home fans are at the next home game.

Beat scunthorpe and next home game will see a decent home attendance.

You have to say that yesterdays attendance could have been aided by no premier league games.

But still more turned up and created an atmosphere.

28 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Beat scunthorpe and next home game will see a decent home attendance.

You have to say that yesterdays attendance could have been aided by no premier league games.

But still more turned up and created an atmosphere.

Not really considering most top flight games haven't been played at 3pm on a Saturday for the past 25 years.

26 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Yes, the "this is what you could have had" narrative seems a little at odds with the fact we haven't averaged over 5000 crowds for well over 10 years...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, the "this is what you could have had" narrative seems a little at odds with the fact we haven't averaged over 5000 crowds for well over 10 years...

i was very surprised at he crowd number but it does suggest there are more dormant potential matchgoers than I thought.  We have been crap for the cast majority of the last ten years so why you'd cite that only you know.

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Whats happening now is games are being stopped, and so it gets reported to a level whereby people not interested in the game hear about it. Thankfully the advances in requirements and overall general knowledge of the public means more are surviving. 

Hopefully the person involved in todays incident makes a good recovery. 

So true, times have changed.  

My father collapsed and died at the opening home game against Bolton on 14 August 1971.  Not even sure the club registered what happened.  He was carried to the tunnel. I think the club doctor looked at him, can't say really as I was in a bit of shock. I do remember the players walking past him when they came in at half time.

So glad the person involved yesterday is doing ok.

3 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Nonsense.  So every time United or City don't play on a Saturday we see a noticeable difference on the gate? They barely play at that time anyway.

Just because someone has a different opinion doesnt mean its nonsense if yours is different.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

We get poor crowds because we are shit. We have been shit for a long time. In fact we’re the least successful side in England. 

People then claim they’ll never come back, or they’re lost forever. Yesterday completely dismisses that theory, over 6k homes fans turned for a side bottom the league with no strikers. if/when we start winning- the fanbase is there and fans will come back. 

Archived