MATCH: vs Rochdale (H) 29/01/22

1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

Out of interest, did you ask why were they there yesterday? I just find it bizarre supporters of other clubs would decide to spend £20 to watch the worst team in the football league because they had a free Saturday afternoon.

My mates are from Oldham but happen to support Liverpool and United. They have a soft spot for their local team and usually attend 3 or 4 games a season when they have nothing else to do. Yesterday no Premiership football, Shez return, local derby and £20 is nothing to pay these days for an afternoon out with your mates. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Take the trolling somewhere else, I’m really not interested. 

The trick is not to get sucked in. I’ve not been on here for a couple of years and he’s still upto his old wind ups. I actually find him very entertaining. I reck I could take over his account for a day and it’d be great fun. 

A strange argument!  As someone who has attended since Mark Hughes volleyed us into the downward spiral it is clear that support has dwindled away because we will be crowned the club that has finished in the bottom half of the league they are in for 20 consecutive years (taking this record away from Rochdale who did 19).

You support a team because you want it to be successful and for 20 years we haven't even tried.  Why do I still go?  Habit and it is an afternoon out with my son.

If we get an honest and open owner who wants the team to succeed the support will grow.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Take the trolling somewhere else, I’m really not interested. 

Put your dummy back in lad, it is hardly 'Barry narrative' to point out the obvious connection between wage spend and league position.

And the large manager turnover, most of which were prompted by fan discontent, in recent times suggests I'm not too far wide of the mark with my other point either.

7 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Was anyone else on the North Stand concourse during the match suspension when they tannoyed that the stand needed to be evacuated and everyone should head to the exits?

That wasn't seemingly announced to those in the seats. The only tannoy announcement that was made to the NS stand seats was that those in the JRS had to leave through the back. Utter shambles.

That stand is so badly designed. Always very long queues when there's a modest crowd and very crowded concourses. The club have lucked out in a way that we've not had a sell out since it was opened.

The above is all very negative so to balance - it was my first game back yesterday since pandemic due to boycott and I thought it was really special to be part of the atmosphere around the ground. Hopefully Couto is sold to clear the embargo today or tomorrow and AL uses the ticket revenue to fund two strikers for the rest of the season to give us a chance - in which case I'll be happy to come back again.

During the break on the concourse nearest to the way end pyros where being set off.. this triggered the smoke alarm which played the message on the tannoys in the JRS

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Put your dummy back in lad, it is hardly 'Barry narrative' to point out the obvious connection between wage spend and league position.

And the large manager turnover, most of which were prompted by fan discontent, in recent times suggests I'm not too far wide of the mark with my other point either.

Would happily respond to the rest of your post but I just don’t see you wanting an actual debate about real issues, it just comes across as you wanting to goad people into an argument over nothing by labelling fans as football snobs with ingrained entitlement.

7 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

During the break on the concourse nearest to the way end pyros where being set off.. this triggered the smoke alarm which played the message on the tannoys in the JRS

These absolutely brainless idiots setting off flares want banning for life… they should be shopped by fellow fans….is it going to take a serious injury before action is taken?

Have to say- 

Eyrsey has got a point. 

Let’s say our average home gate (bar yesterday) is 3 thousand.

If/when ALMO leave there will be definitely be a upsurge in the crowd purely because they’re gone. ‘We’ve got our club back’ etc. I’d say you can add on 1500 in this group. 

Which takes us to an average of 4 and a half. If we then start doing well, in this league or the conference I’d say you could add another 1000/1500 onto that- bring us up to 6000ish. 

But- if the new owners stagnate on the pitch and results are indifferent (no matter how much better run we are) crowds will dwindle again. 

There is a no better example of this- than our relegation to league two. 

Season tickets went up! Why? Because people thought we would compete and win most games- when they saw we were just as dog shit in a league below- the numbers dwindled. 

I absolutely guarantee, that If we get relegated, but new owners come in- season tickets sales will go up again. 
But if- like for the last 30 years we follow relegation with more shite results numbers will quickly drop again. 

People always conflate good running of the club with results. And in an ideal that’s what you want, but ultimately if you’re nicest family club in the land, but don’t win games. People won’t turn up. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Would happily respond to the rest of your post but I just don’t see you wanting an actual debate about real issues, it just comes across as you wanting to goad people into an argument over nothing by labelling fans as football snobs with ingrained entitlement.

Not trying to goad anybody. It is my belief that a vocal portion of the fanbase does have a sense of entitlement and they wouldn't put up with slow and steady for very long under new ownership, there would have to be a promotion pretty quickly. You disagree, that's fine.

I would also add- that if ALMO got results on the pitch with their approach, most would turn a blind eye to their treatment of people etc. 

Look Moshiri at Everton- 

Building them a new ground, pumped hundreds millions in. To an outsider, a dream owner. 

But- results are shit for them. 

Sack the board. 

It was ever thus. 

31 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

These absolutely brainless idiots setting off flares want banning for life… they should be shopped by fellow fans….is it going to take a serious injury before action is taken?

Unless it's a 90+5 winner at Prenton Park that moves us out of the relegation zone.  

48 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not trying to goad anybody. It is my belief that a vocal portion of the fanbase does have a sense of entitlement and they wouldn't put up with slow and steady for very long under new ownership, there would have to be a promotion pretty quickly. You disagree, that's fine.

I disagree that there’s any more than the odd one who might think that way, certainly not enough to warrant a mention in a discussion about crowds. But I consider myself open minded so I don’t mind being proved wrong if you can point me to some examples. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I would also add- that if ALMO got results on the pitch with their approach, most would turn a blind eye to their treatment of people etc. 

Look Moshiri at Everton- 

Building them a new ground, pumped hundreds millions in. To an outsider, a dream owner. 

But- results are shit for them. 

Sack the board. 

It was ever thus. 

Everton really are us on a grander scale. Crap decision after crap decision and recruitment driven by the owner's agent mate. They are even described as 'Clownish' in the Sunday Times today. 

It's as if the people having the results/crowd arguments are having two different conversations.

The shit results for 25 years had whittled the attendances down to just the 'hardcore'.

The Lemsagam reign has driven away people that would generally watch any old shit eleven turn up in blue and white, because the club and the way in which they treat people (players, staff, fans, other clubs) is unrecognisable from the club we loved.

When they go, those people will come back plus probably a few more because of any excitement. If we then start to deliver on the pitch, the rest will follow.

18 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

It's as if the people having the results/crowd arguments are having two different conversations.

The shit results for 25 years had whittled the attendances down to just the 'hardcore'.

The Lemsagam reign has driven away people that would generally watch any old shit eleven turn up in blue and white, because the club and the way in which they treat people (players, staff, fans, other clubs) is unrecognisable from the club we loved.

When they go, those people will come back plus probably a few more because of any excitement. If we then start to deliver on the pitch, the rest will follow.

Spot on. 

But however good the new owners are  off the pitch, if they don’t get results numbers will dwindle again- and more rapidly in non league IMO. 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It's a fairly stupid pastime and the moron who threw one as we prepared to defend a corner took it to another level. 

The plastic bottle throwing should also cease as sooner or later one will hit a player or official as happened at Goodison a couple of weeks ago. 

These children ( as I presume they must be ) should think long and hard before resuming their daft actions.

37 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Did anyone see how much sand the flare putter out people left? The keepers were not happy.

Couldn’t they just pick them up with a trigger pole or put them out with water? There was no urgency whatsoever, a bottle thrown onto the pitch from the JF stand was in the penalty area for fully 10 minutes!!

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's far more common than it once was for people to follow a Premier League club and a lower division side.  Some 'young people' look bewildered when I tell them I don't support a PL club at all.

I sometimes get asked “Who’s your second team?”

The answer is that I don’t have one. However I do look out for the results for a number of teams, namely those that other mates support. 
These include Reading, Brentford, Fulham, Leyton Orient and even Leeds 👀

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Couldn’t they just pick them up with a trigger pole or put them out with water? There was no urgency whatsoever, a bottle thrown onto the pitch from the JF stand was in the penalty area for fully 10 minutes!!

Agree with all the comments about the morons throwing things onto the pitch. There weren't any flares, they just produce smoke and you see them being hand held at gigs all the time. They could have been picked up and dropped into a bucket with no need to interfere with the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I sometimes get asked “Who’s your second team?”

The answer is that I don’t have one. However I do look out for the results for a number of teams, namely those that other mates support. 
These include Reading, Brentford, Fulham, Leyton Orient and even Leeds 👀

I follow the non-league teams in places where I live or have lived for a significant period of time.  My current side on that basis is level on points with the leaders with a game in hand and my previous crush is third in their league (one higher)

9 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Agree with all the comments about the morons throwing things onto the pitch. There weren't any flares, they just produce smoke and you see them being hand held at gigs all the time. They could have been picked up and dropped into a bucket with no need to interfere with the pitch. 

Perhaps those dealing with them aren't aware that they're relatively harmless but I still can't see the point of throwing them, especially when nothing's happened.

If a goal's scored then perhaps some may see this as a cause to "celebrate" with a firework ! 

Archived