MATCH: vs Colchester United (A) 26/02/22

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It looks as though any team from Orient down could be involved. The mini-league is shaping up and Stevenage will be definitely looking over their shoulders.

yep Stevenage now looking like major contenders. Played more and they have a terrible 4 game run coming. Hopefully we can get ahead of them by the time we go there 

1 minute ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

That crap 4 game run is after they’ve played the winless in 10 Leyton Orient

Hopefully, that one will be a 0-0 draw! :D 

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If Hope hadn’t made a complete town halls of that chance approaching half time we’d have probably won the game with ease. Still a really poor player IMO…..

The sooner we get the big fella back the better!!

If it's five weeks like we have been led to believe, then Fondop won't be involved much. It could be at home to Sutton Utd before he is on the team sheet again.

37 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Psychologically we are back in the bottom 2, hope it doesn't deflate the players after all their hard work the last 6 games. 

Whether we stay up is still in our hands. 

That is the most important thing, as nice as it is to have points in the bag.

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Psychologically we are back in the bottom 2, hope it doesn't deflate the players after all their hard work the last 6 games. 

I started the thread on the relegation, it was an absolute certainty IMO. . . until Shez showed up and got results immediately. We are the form side of the bottom eight, and we’re timing our said form perfectly. The other sides have a mixture of new manager, loss of form, starting to struggle. We on the other hand look galvanised and are enjoying our football. 

We’ll be fine now. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I started the thread on the relegation, it was an absolute certainty IMO. . . until Shez showed up and got results immediately. We are the form side of the bottom eight, and we’re timing our said form perfectly. The other sides have a mixture of new manager, loss of form, starting to struggle. We on the other hand look galvanised and are enjoying our football. 

We’ll be fine now. 

I did my predicted scores for the bottom 8 earlier in the week. I had us getting another 14 points.  Last 5 games are really tough. I forecast us joint 22nd with Barrow,  a point above Carlisle.  Now we're joint 23rd. Carlisle the winners today and Stevenage the losers. Although they have tough games coming up their run in seems much easier.

1 minute ago, astottie said:

I did my predicted scores for the bottom 8 earlier in the week. I had us getting another 14 points.  Last 5 games are really tough. I forecast us joint 22nd with Barrow,  a point above Carlisle.  Now we're joint 23rd. Carlisle the winners today and Stevenage the losers. Although they have tough games coming up their run in seems much easier.

I’m not into the stats so much, I go with the big Mo (momentum not the flat cap wearing twat) and confidence of results. Having said that, I don’t make you to far wrong- I think we’ll finish 21st/20th 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I’m not into the stats so much, I go with the big Mo (momentum not the flat cap wearing twat) and confidence of results. Having said that, I don’t make you to far wrong- I think we’ll finish 21st/20th 

And your big mo philosophy was evident today with the Carlisle result.  I thought they'd get a point at best but the new local manager bounce worked. However with 7 teams still in the mix the six pointers mean one teams gain is the others loss. I think our result today was massive for us irrespective of the other results.

1 hour ago, astottie said:

And your big mo philosophy was evident today with the Carlisle result.  I thought they'd get a point at best but the new local manager bounce worked. However with 7 teams still in the mix the six pointers mean one teams gain is the others loss. I think our result today was massive for us irrespective of the other results.

100% 

Keep ticking along picking up points. We’ll be reet. 

A very good point in the end. That had all the hallmarks of a loss… no Fondop/Luamba, poor 2nd half, Colchester team up for it and playing well.

We’ve had long spells of being under pressure in the last 2 matches and have taken 4 points. 

My first league game in a long time. Pidge and Missilou did the work of two men (Hart and Whelan). Adams a real threat but to nobody's surprise the lack of a proper striker matters.  Really poor for their goal. Yes, a deflection is unlucky but it was the failure to push out that really caused it. Continuing to do so meant we were lucky to get a point in the end. 

14 hours ago, daniel said:

Worst performance under Shez. Still could have won though, and should be 2-0 at HT. lucky goal for them, generally defended well.

6 unbeaten, and important not to lose whilst not playing well. We’d have lost that under previous managers. 

After a promising first forty five it was a worrying second half - we played like the team before Sheridan took over.. reverting to aimless clearances, dropping too deep, putting in weak challenges and not often winning the second ball.

Colchester changed their style of play at halftime - taking off Akinde (who had been well marshalled by Pidge and McGahey) and bringing on Sears. They played the channels well and Chilvers caused problems when running at the defence. 
We were on the back foot and though the goal took an unfortunate deflection, it had been coming. 
The injuries to Fondop and Luamba have robbed us someone to lead the line. Hope - who should have made it two just before the break - is not that man. 

Useful cameos from Obadayi and Vaughan when they came on but Sheridan does not have any strength in depth on the bench.

Adams and Missilou were my standout players yesterday - Whelan (carrying a knock) was poor and how Stobbs gets in ahead of Tope is a mystery to me. Hunt looks out of his depth too. I’d also like to see Couto given a chance on the left.

All worked hard but we simply lost our way after the break. Still, a point is better than none at all. Let’s hope that we get back to the discipline that has been apparent since Sheridan returned. 

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

After a promising first forty five it was a worrying second half - we played like the team before Sheridan took over.. reverting to aimless clearances, dropping too deep, putting in weak challenges and not often winning the second ball.

Colchester changed their style of play at halftime - taking off Akinde (who had been well marshalled by Pidge and McGahey) and bringing on Sears. They played the channels well and Chilvers caused problems when running at the defence. 
We were on the back foot and though the goal took an unfortunate deflection, it had been coming. 
The injuries to Fondop and Luamba have robbed us someone to lead the line. Hope - who should have made it two just before the break - is not that man. 

Useful cameos from Obadayi and Vaughan when they came on but Sheridan does not have any strength in depth on the bench.

Adams and Missilou were my standout players yesterday - Whelan (carrying a knock) was poor and how Stobbs gets in ahead of Tope is a mystery to me. Hunt looks out of his depth too. I’d also like to see Couto given a chance on the left.

All worked hard but we simply lost our way after the break. Still, a point is better than none at all. Let’s hope that we get back to the discipline that has been apparent since Sheridan returned. 

Pretty much agree with this Big Dog. 

I'd just add Rogers is a massive upgrade on Leutwiler and made an excellent save 2H, and Pidge was just my MOM as he seemed to win everyball he challenged for, with Adams as you say excellent going forward and our biggest threat.

I also think that if Tope got a bit more involved in the play sometimes he could create some mayhem. Maybe he just needs as bit more game time. 

Defo a good point based on our 2 H showing and brilliant support again, which will be worth a point or 2 come May.

17 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Terrible result for us with Carlisle winning but a point is a good one for us even though we are back in bottom two. Closing up nicely on a lot of teams with games in hand. We also look solid and tough to beat and we keep the run going. Good shift from everyone but not our best game, Adams my pick 

Adams should be everyone's pick.

Head and shoulders above all.

Mcgahey and Pidge won everything, but their distribution was shocking at times.

Hope was actually good. He led the line well and ran out of legs.

His miss was poor though. 2-0 at HT and it was game over. He seemed to be surprised that he was on side and he lost any momentum/advantage which prevented him getting closer to goal.

DKD also poor miss.

Miss-timed his leap to an excellent cross. Overall, he was an improvement and is getting back to the player we saw toward the end of last season.

Could have gone in 3 up.

The fact that Colchester could/should have also had three or more was largely as a result of the lower defecit at HT.

With the exceptiion of Adams, Pidge and Missile, they all looked a little jaded. 

Probably needed an extra day recovery. Their effort thus far under Sheridan is without question.

It still grates me why we ever allowed Missile to leave.

Hart looked injured. Looked hippish to me; his movement appeared restricted.

My table after Colchester was down to us beating them and Carlisle drawing. I was two games off since game two of the return of the prodigal son.

Just means that Orient have swapped places with carlisle and the rest are as you were.

I had us down for a draw at Crawley, so win that and parity restored.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

agree we lack strength in depth with Luamba / baha / Fondop out. Atm we are carrying stobbs. He works hard but offers nothing at all.

glad to see Carlisle with a midweek match on Tues so they have no extra time before the big game next sat 

Archived