BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 7th Mar '22 Episode 74: Meet Chris Lees

I really don't want to leave BP, I'll be gutted in fact.

However, if the plan is for a new ground like the Madejski, why not just remain as a tenant for the first few years and bypass Mr Blitz altogether? When does the protection (I forget the technical term) for BP to remain as a footballing venue expire?

Maybe the opportunity for further developments on the land could be lucrative enough to justify the outright purchase, but I'm clueless about such matters.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With real estate (time share?), the motor trade and cryptocurrency on the CV, forgive me if I remain somewhat sceptical.

Maybe I am cynical in my old age, but there were repeated references to b.s. (bull shit) which may, or may not, be appropriate. Hope I am wrong, but we shall see.

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe.

But all that stuff about politics. Jeez. Whatever your political persuasion, that was embarrassing.

Elected as a Lib Dem and then defected to UKIP? Laughs about playing the game, it was just a bit of fun, pissing a lot of people off, being a disruptor.

These are not the signs of a serious, stable individual in it for the long haul. Or one who cares much about how the average man or woman on the street feels.

At other times I was swept along with it tbh and I can only assume he's done lots of things right along the way too.

Honestly hard to know what to think. If I didn't know better I'd think everyone involved in this was on a wind up and having a big old laugh at our expense.

9 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

With real estate (time share?), the motor trade and cryptocurrency on the CV, forgive me if I remain somewhat sceptical.

Maybe I am cynical in my old age, but there were repeated references to b.s. (bull shit) which may, or may not, be appropriate. Hope I am wrong, but we shall see.

Where have you got Time Share from?

20 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Scrutinise all you like - if he comes up with the money & passes the checks he'll own us, if he doesn't he won't.   

We are not passive bystanders. Whilst perhaps unable to influence the sale, it is important that fans (esp the foundation) have a position on any owner (present or future) as this informs its activities and how it engages. 

the trust never did their homework on AL and it took the best part of three years for the board to agree he was bad for the club and to look to raise its concerns 

forewarned is forearmed 

Harry, maybe talk of being an agent and rented property had me adding 2 and 2 for 5. May do him a disservice.

Agree with you though. Abdallah, Brassbank and the EFL, for all their faults, will want to see proof of the folding stuff rather than rhetoric about a new world order for politics or finance.

1 minute ago, Boyyou said:

Harry, maybe talk of being an agent and rented property had me adding 2 and 2 for 5. May do him a disservice.

Agree with you though. Abdallah, Brassbank and the EFL, for all their faults, will want to see proof of the folding stuff rather than rhetoric about a new world order for politics or finance.

The EFL will do that...won't they?

13 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

My god I can't take this guy seriously, seems like a real Walter Mitty character and I don't believe a word he says! 

He said he's not doing this on his own, it's a group venture.

If anything AL was more Walter Mitty with his fanciful dreams.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I’m reserving judgment - he sounds a bit of a nob is my initial thoughts but someone said elsewhere you don’t succeed to that level without being one usually

lets see how things progress 

I'm a bit more hopeful as he's from Oldham and a Latics fan but he reminded me of Steve Dale when he took Bury on 😲 and said "the architects are in on Monday".

13 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I'm a bit more hopeful as he's from Oldham and a Latics fan but he reminded me of Steve Dale when he took Bury on 😲 and said "the architects are in on Monday".

Yeah I don’t know I read the Oldham Times article and thought brilliant!

Then listened to him and he came across very Uncle nob head - very defensive of bit coin and then just rambled on with stories 

Also I’m very suspicious of anyone who feels the need to say “I’ve nothing to hide” as many times as he did 

I don’t know, very much in the wait and see camp here 

Is this the same Chris Lees from Oldham in the book "Costa del Crime"?  Was smuggling tobacco and ended up getting thrown into jail in Fuengirola before getting into limousine hire?

The story seems to chime a bit with the other link and age seems about right...

1 minute ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Is this the same Chris Lees from Oldham in the book "Costa del Crime"?  Was smuggling tobacco and ended up getting thrown into jail in Fuengirola before getting into limousine hire?

“nothing to hide”

he speaks of it on the podcast

3 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Don't worry, if there is anything decidedly dodgy about him, the EFL will be all over it. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

. . I know. 

I was just replying to mids who thought BPAS have bought straight into it. I think they’re a lot wiser than that. 

Cautious optimism is what’s needed. 

I didn’t say that BPAS have bought straight onto it.  I said that my reservation (to my earlier comments in my post) that they seem to be slightly won over.  That’s not a negative by the way - they know more than we having spoken to the guy longer than the 80 minutes for the podcast - and I meant this as a potential positive.

Just want to clarify too that my post wasn’t a criticism of Chris Lees.  Just that we’ve heard the same comments three times before and each time we’ve been royally shafted.  I’m not saying Chris is the same and hopefully he can bring success back to the club.  I don’t have a clue about bitcoin and perhaps this is the innovation we need to regenerate the club, the surrounding area and showcase the club wider afield and gain attention and a new fanbase.

EDIT - also being a disrupter, pissing people off & approaching stuff as a laugh; I know three very wealthy people (they won’t buy us I’m afraid as all supporters of other clubs) and they’re all the same.  I guess when you amass a certain amount of wealth then the shackles come off and without the risk of failure, they’re more carefree & disruptive.  Confident from their success, amassing great wealth through succeeding in something they know and then more driven to take a gamble.

17 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Just googled that and a chapter  of the book about "Rubio Chris" came up!!! Didn't quite read the same as Chris talked about in his interview with @BPAS

7 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Sounds to me like he thinks politicians are self serving chancers and that ‘big government’ is bad. To be fair, many entrepreneurial types have that view. I agree with him.

The EU is no help to the likes of him, it is the opposite… and given his experience in Spain can anyone blame him for his view. 

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's Dominic Cummings then, yes?

If this is his Twitter account (which has just been deleted) it goes way beyond a bit of Dominic Cummings and wanting small government:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BrtrQUuo0s0J:https://twitter.com/yo2kris+&cd=1&hl=en

Claiming the war in Ukraine is part of a New World Order conspiracy theory, retweeting posts supporting Putin, vaccine conspiracies...

If this is right, the media attention this brings to the club could make the Ched Evans saga look like a walk in the park

16 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

If this is his Twitter account (which has just been deleted) it goes way beyond a bit of Dominic Cummings and wanting small government:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BrtrQUuo0s0J:https://twitter.com/yo2kris+&cd=1&hl=en

Claiming the war in Ukraine is part of a New World Order conspiracy theory, retweeting posts supporting Putin, vaccine conspiracies...

If this is right, the media attention this brings to the club could make the Ched Evans saga look like a walk in the park

The more I see and hear the more worried I am - I could write a catchy plan to the Oldham Times it doesn’t for one minute mean I’m the guy to save us 

21 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

What has this link got to with anything, or is my computer being rerouted to a load of shite?

Archived