BPAS PODCAST: 4th Apr '22 Episode 78: Save Your Club!

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Cheers Pete - you obviously are more knowledgable on this than I am!

Not really, i just know it's not as simple as some will have you believe and it's certainly a risk i wouldn't like to take. The thought of starting again in Tier 9 is not worth contemplating. I'm not sure we have the stomach for that sort of fight and the fan base is too divided.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, PeteG said:

I don't see how the fans owning say 20% of the ground helps our situation at all. Say we raised a million and it goes into a 20% share of the ground what's changed? Owning 20% of the club certainly changes things.

Surely having a larger say in the grounds future is a focus of fans. Let’s be honest Abdallah is never going to buy it. 

Who’s to say AL doesn’t look to do what he did with corneys shares and reduce their worth?

I hope you can see giving money to AL for him to continue as owner is nothing other than idiotic?

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

I don't see how the fans owning say 20% of the ground helps our situation at all. Say we raised a million and it goes into a 20% share of the ground what's changed? Owning 20% of the club certainly changes things.

What would owning 20% of the club change?  Nothing comes to mind

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I disagree putting £1 million into 20% of the ground changes nothing and the money is gone. If that is in the intention i'm certainly out in putting any money in.

I don't think anyone thought you'd be putting money into the contingency fund anyway, Mike...

On 4/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, PeteG said:

The worrying part of that podcast was the mention of raising £1 million to possibly be part of a consortium to buy the ground to be AL's landlord. Are we talking about giving Blitz a million here or getting involved with the FLG as only a shareholder in the ground, whilst they own the businesses within the ground that have the opportunity to make money, Not for me that, if we were talking increasing shareholding in the club itself, different story.

I wouldn’t give FLG a penny. So if that’s the plan…I won’t be contributing. 

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I assume you're talking about admin of "the club" ? In isolation, no big deal as "the club" doesn't own the ground etc. Very easy for a "new club" to form, Blitz to then package the whole thing as one and - bingo - we're up and running again in the same place without someone shelling out millions to the regime. 

Easy peasy. 

🙄

I raised this with a member of the podcast team (who are far more up to speed on it all than I am) yesterday, but it would seem a bit bizarre to try and do a deal with Bl**z when the ownership of the ground/land/stand is up in the air with the pending court case...

I'll say it again, if any new owner doesn't have the means to pay the relatively small amounts it would cost to buy out Mr Blitz and Mr Lemsagam then football is not for them and they should remove themselves from the process.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

What would owning 20% of the club change?  Nothing comes to mind

It's better than owning 20% of the ground with a lease that is running down quickly. You could end up with the club moving to a new stadium and then you own 20% of what?

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

It's better than owning 20% of the ground with a lease that is running down quickly. You could end up with the club moving to a new stadium and then you own 20% of what?

With what money would the club move to a new stadium? The lease is in place for another ten years. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

I wouldn’t give FLG a penny. So if that’s the plan…I won’t be contributing. 

That isn’t the plan as there isn’t one at the minute and as previously stated nothing is off the table. We have to be open to all ideas to get rid of the current ownership. 

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

You still own something - and get something back if the ground sells. How is that inferior to owning 20% of something that is completely worthless? 

Baffling position. 

5 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

With what money would the club move to a new stadium? The lease is in place for another ten years. 

9 years actually. If i was thinking of buying the club, i'd be looking at alternatives of building a new stadium in the town and i'd be talking to the council.

5 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

That isn’t the plan as there isn’t one at the minute and as previously stated nothing is off the table. We have to be open to all ideas to get rid of the current ownership. 

Buying a percentage of the ground doesn't get rid of the current ownership of the club.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Owing 20% of something is better than 20% of nothing. 

The ground has to come first. 

To be honest, this is football we're talking about where part owning something usually is nothing. I don't know the answers, but I reckon without majority control you're still pissing against the wind.

31 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

But unless you buy him out your investment is wasted. 

Agreed but rather get 20% of the club with a new owner (providing more say in the club could be agreed) than 20% of the ground that achieves nothing

This thread highlights just how difficult raising £1 million will be,there’s far too many factions and uncertainties regarding the club,ground,north stand.I’d be very surprised if the total raised is anywhere £100,000 by seasons end let alone a million.

27 minutes ago, GrahamHughes said:

This thread highlights just how difficult raising £1 million will be,there’s far too many factions and uncertainties regarding the club,ground,north stand.I’d be very surprised if the total raised is anywhere £100,000 by seasons end let alone a million.

More importantly, it raises the issue of just what to do with any money raised. Who decides?

For me buying the ground is my lowest option, many clubs have played on borrowed/rented grounds so get the football club secured first-we can play just about anywhere for a while. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

To be honest, this is football we're talking about where part owning something usually is nothing. I don't know the answers, but I reckon without majority control you're still pissing against the wind.

Agreed. 

20% of anything is being able to have a say- which can still ultimately be ignored. However 20% of the footprint of the ground, is actually worth something- and even if the club folded that money still has value that could be put into Phoenix club. (For example) 

The idea that- 

A-  AL would be willing to sell a stake to the fans.

B- He would then listen to them

Or C fans would want to buy worthless shares that are ultimately just giving AL money his back without nothing in return. . Is just nonsensical. 

The ideal situation is the foundation and fans can raise 1 million and then form a consortium with a potential owner. If that happened the focus should be on the ground buying Blitz out completely. 

I've no view on what you should spend your money on, I don't know enough about it.

But a 20% share in the club was what Valeri Belokon had at Blackpool, and he was able to use it to successfully argue that his interests had been unfairly prejudiced. You know what happened after that. 

22 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I've no view on what you should spend your money on, I don't know enough about it.

But a 20% share in the club was what Valeri Belokon had at Blackpool, and he was able to use it to successfully argue that his interests had been unfairly prejudiced. You know what happened after that. 

I presume though Baz, that you guys were whole when Valeri invested. 

That’s not the case for us, and we can’t even get a consensus on what is more important- the badge or the ground. 

It's land for me.

Land big enough in Oldham to have a stadium size complex.

Land will be taken up pretty soon all over the Borough to fill the people for places agenda.

I don't know if there are any big enough spaces left in Oldham now.

Are there any?

Archived