• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad and no age too.

The first goalie I saw between the pegs when I started going to BP. Him and Andy Gorton battling it out for the no.1 Jersey.

First goalie I saw almost scoring a goal a BP too on a very windy day. From RRE it bounced on to the D heading for top corner of the chaddy end pegs, only for oppos goalies to finger tip save it.

I have no idea who we played nor if we won. But I have that memory.

Gone but never forgotten. I will be raising a wee dram tonight.

So very sad. Seems like only yesterday that I was chatting to him and Nick Henry in a hotel bar in Douglas, Isle of Man. Latics were playing in the summer tournament on the IoM in 1987 - Hibs were also competing and Andy signed for them that year. Superb goalie - utterly tragic.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

So very sad. Seems like only yesterday that I was chatting to him and Nick Henry in a hotel bar in Douglas, Isle of Man. Latics were playing in the summer tournament on the IoM in 1987 - Hibs were also competing and Andy signed for them that year. Superb goalie - utterly tragic.

I had the pleasure of spending an hour with him at Belle Vue dogs while I worked there, Prepared to discuss all things Latics related and still have an autographed race card.

For the record he behaved himself impeccably unlike at later event in which the Club were involved

3 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

The only man to play for Scotland at football and cricket. I saw him score the winning penalty for Hibs in a Skol (League) Cup shoot-out in 1989 against Clydebank.

RIP Andy.

Interestingly he is the only player to have a full set of Scottish medals-Challenge Cup, Premiership,Scottish Cup and League Cup.

11 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Did we then lose 5-4 at Huddersfield in the 7th game?

We did pal, they were 0-1 down and had a man sent off as well!! Typical Latics type crash when least expected. A Latics fan got done for smoking cannabis after being spotted on filmed footage too  

19 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

We did pal, they were 0-1 down and had a man sent off as well!! Typical Latics type crash when least expected. A Latics fan got done for smoking cannabis after being spotted on filmed footage too  

Before that we lost at home to Derby in the Full Members' Cup. No idea if Goram played though.

1 hour ago, Longlostfan said:

was that the Huddersfield game where it absolutely bucketed it down?

no mate, we lost that one 0-2, Latics fans had to kick the gates in at the back of the open end we were in to get out and go home, police lined up with horses outside thinking we were going to start trouble, nothing changes there about police mentality in dealing with fans, everyone just wanted to go home and get dry   

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Before that we lost at home to Derby in the Full Members' Cup. No idea if Goram played though.

Tony Ellis made his debut in that game, played really well but like many Latics strikers, just couldn't find the net 

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

we were 1-0 down from the first min many latics missed it as they were  still quing up outside 

the 0-1 was the following year 

Archived