Southend in similar Termoil a year ago finished bottom half did they. Never even looked like playoffs, so as a guide it doesn’t bode well for us. We do however have a top man in charge as pointed out. He’s won this division and will know how to win games so will Have to see. Main thing though remains the owners selling 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Southend in similar Termoil a year ago finished bottom half did they. Never even looked like playoffs, so as a guide it doesn’t bode well for us. We do however have a top man in charge as pointed out. He’s won this division and will know how to win games so will Have to see. Main thing though remains the owners selling 

After 16 games they were 3rd bottom, once they stabilised second half of the season they showed playoff form, I think we'll have a better start than them.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, O.A.F.C 4life said:

Porter will also be an excellent signing ....

Personally think Porter will get injured very early on and keep the physio busy. Waste of a wage in my humble opinion - way, way too old now. Was like a carthorse last time I saw him play - Lord only knows how slow he is now?

55 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Southend only stabilised once they had binned Brown and brought in someone who knew what he was doing.  I think their squad was probably a good deal stronger than yours, to be honest. They certainly won quite a lot of games from December or so onwards.

I'll be interested to see how Sheridan goes about it. I'm assuming that he doesn't have a lot of contacts in non-league and therefore you may be looking to pick up bargains from areas he is familiar with. It all feels a bit sticking plaster like, but he is experienced and may be able to bring in a stronger nucleus. But money and stability are against him, aren't they?

4 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Southend only stabilised once they had binned Brown and brought in someone who knew what he was doing.  I think their squad was probably a good deal stronger than yours, to be honest. They certainly won quite a lot of games from December or so onwards.

I'll be interested to see how Sheridan goes about it. I'm assuming that he doesn't have a lot of contacts in non-league and therefore you may be looking to pick up bargains from areas he is familiar with. It all feels a bit sticking plaster like, but he is experienced and may be able to bring in a stronger nucleus. But money and stability are against him, aren't they?

Fair few assumptions there.....

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If he does sign, him and the Stockport lad could be a decent centre half pairing- with Sutton for cover. 

Just need to sort every other position now. 

Owner is a position...

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

If he does sign, him and the Stockport lad could be a decent centre half pairing- with Sutton for cover. 

Just need to sort every other position now. 

Is McGahey still around as well?

16 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Keith Curle knew how to get promoted to league one. How did that go?

32 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

But nobody wants to sign for Oldham...

Nobody decent does!

We are scraping the very bottom of the barrel - are you really getting excited about signing/possibly signing players from the likes of Stockport and Halifax?

If so, just shows what a good "psychological" job this poisonous regime has done on people. Quite unbelievable some of what is put on here.

55 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Nobody decent does!

We are scraping the very bottom of the barrel - are you really getting excited about signing/possibly signing players from the likes of Stockport and Halifax?

If so, just shows what a good "psychological" job this poisonous regime has done on people. Quite unbelievable some of what is put on here.

I'm 33 I don't get excited about signings but you won't get much better NL pedigree than the captain of the champions and the captain of a playoff side...

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Nobody decent does!

Go on then excite us with your suggestions, then I'll wake you up the reality is we are a 5th tier football team and we need players capable of getting us out of this division, so far I think that's what Shez is aiming to do, it doesn't matter a jot where we've come from next season the mighty Latics are playing in non league. 

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Go on then excite us with your suggestions, then I'll wake you up the reality is we are a 5th tier football team and we need players capable of getting us out of this division, so far I think that's what Shez is aiming to do, it doesn't matter a jot where we've come from next season the mighty Latics are playing in non league. 

I rather think the point is that the owners have pretty much destroyed any possibility of excitement.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I rather think the point is that the owners have pretty much destroyed any possibility of excitement.

Be that as it may, there is still , for some of us, an interest in whether the players we will have are capable of getting us up from this tier we are now in.  I accept that they may not be the pedigree that EFL clubs are able to attract but I'm just being pragmatic.We are wear we are, I'd like us to be succesful on the pitch .

Archived