1 minute ago, LaticsPete said:

Be that as it may, there is still , for some of us, an interest in whether the players we will have are capable of getting us up from this tier we are now in.  I accept that they may not be the pedigree that EFL clubs are able to attract but I'm just being pragmatic.We are wear we are, I'd like us to be succesful on the pitch .

Absolutely - but excitement is elusive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

This is my concern I think PW might be trying hijack the deal he's just took Billy Waters an all hasn't he 

16 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Fair play to him, he owes OAFC nowt 

I think Wildy could be making an error if he thinks taking his Halifax players to League 2 will push Barrow up from the very nearly relegated but for a really shit Oldham side up the table 

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I think Wildy could be making an error if he thinks taking his Halifax players to League 2 will push Barrow up from the very nearly relegated but for a really shit Oldham side up the table 

I suppose having worked with these players at Halifax he is pretty confident they can make the step up, let's face it PW did a decent job as a EFL manager. 

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I suppose having worked with these players at Halifax he is pretty confident they can make the step up, let's face it PW did a decent job as a EFL manager. 

He did a very good short term job

David Moyes sacked Fergies coaching team at United and replaced them with people he knew from Everton - didn't work well 

Just saying taking his old players may not work and I can't imagine would excite their fans 

Hope he proves me wrong 

21 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I'd go with that.. the fact Maher was named in numerous VNL team of the seasons sort of hints that he maybe ready for the step up also.

Fingers still crossed thou 🤞🏻

19 minutes ago, disjointed said:

People will say I'm just being contrary but we were 12th when he took over in December 2018 and 14th when he moved aside for Scholes. We were then 14th when he took over from Scholes and finished the season in 14th. Hardly Mourinho stuff...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

People will say I'm just being contrary but we were 12th when he took over in December 2018 and 14th when he moved aside for Scholes. We were then 14th when he took over from Scholes and finished the season in 14th. Hardly Mourinho stuff...

Jesus, 

12th in League 2 seems like the promised land now

Mind you so does 14th

I don't like the mentality underlying this policy of wanting players who live locally. I understand the point Sheridan is making, but it smacks of getting ready for the Conference North to me.

I know he is unimpeachable, for good reasons ; but do you feel he is the best equipped for the challenge you face now?

Just now, basilrobbie said:

I don't like the mentality underlying this policy of wanting players who live locally. I understand the point Sheridan is making, but it smacks of getting ready for the Conference North to me.

I know he is unimpeachable, for good reasons ; but do you feel he is the best equipped for the challenge you face now?

Only time will tell Robbie, Shez says he wants to put things right, he faces an uphill task but he loves the club. Let's face it our recent managerial appointments (there have been many) have been pretty disastrous, we may not get a better manager than him. 

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Only time will tell Robbie, Shez says he wants to put things right, he faces an uphill task but he loves the club. Let's face it our recent managerial appointments (there have been many) have been pretty disastrous, we may not get a better manager than him. 

All fair points. 

In some ways, I guess he will feel that the downside is fairly limited as well, quite apart from the emotional connection you mentioned. I actually admire him for wanting to take on a job of the size of the one he faces now.

If I were in a senior position at your club, I would be taking a look at how Southend and Grimsby approached the task last season, because both had turmoil of one kind or another to cope with (and Southend didn't respond well, initially). Plus maybe a club like Halifax who aren't the biggest but have a habit of competing at the right end of the table pretty regularly.

5 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

All fair points. 

In some ways, I guess he will feel that the downside is fairly limited as well, quite apart from the emotional connection you mentioned. I actually admire him for wanting to take on a job of the size of the one he faces now.

If I were in a senior position at your club, I would be taking a look at how Southend and Grimsby approached the task last season, because both had turmoil of one kind or another to cope with (and Southend don't respond well, initially). Plus maybe a club like Halifax who aren't the biggest but have a habit of competing at the right end of the table pretty regularly.

Halifax appointed a young, hungry manager who loves the game and seems to be unafraid of failure. Getting someone like that would be a coup. The problem is our owner and cohorts would beat the goodwill and promise out of him. Shez is our best option at the moment in my view. 

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

The only one equipped for the job! 

53 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It may be his way of getting round our "esteemed" DOF's masterplan of bringing foreign players in and loanees and accommodating them in hotels. Or just to make a point to the regime that he will decide who he does and doesn't want.

In any case players living locally in a family environment is surely preferable to travelling long distances or living out of suitcases. 

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Its not like there aren't a whole host of players living in the region...

7 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It may be his way of getting round our "esteemed" DOF's masterplan of bringing foreign players in and loanees and accommodating them in hotels. Or just to make a point to the regime that he will decide who he does and doesn't want.

In any case players living locally in a family environment is surely preferable to travelling long distances or living out of suitcases. 

I hadn't thought about that - you may be on to something there.  Cheers.

12 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Under Ken Bates’ chairmanship, Manager Jimmy McIlroy instituted a policy of players having to live close by - “no more stay away stars” as it was proclaimed in the Boundary Bulletin. As we were top half in Div 3 I don’t think it was planning for the Lancashire Combination…,

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The longer this goes on, the less likely it is that he will be signing for us methinks 🤔

May have already signed? Might save the announcement for this afternoon? I've read it's a done deal but in football you never know.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

May have already signed? Might save the announcement for this afternoon? I've read it's a done deal but in football you never know.

I hope that you are correct - don’t know much about the guy but, on paper, he seems half decent 🙂

Archived