North and South divisions?

North and South divisions?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. In the light of rising living and fuel costs should there be North and South divisions below the Championship?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2022 at 11:00 PM

4 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

No. Why should there?

Would rather see the cost of living and fuel cost shambles sorted by our glorious leaders, rather than being forced to make concessions and changes to account for it.

Some would say easier to get to local matches and bigger crowds.

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

In the light of rising living and fuel costs should there be North and South divisions below the Championship?

No too high up that the pyramid that for me.

personally it would be farr better for me and it would push up my 30+matches per season. but no, l don't wish to see it.

54 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

No. Why should there?

Would rather see the cost of living and fuel cost shambles sorted by our glorious leaders, rather than being forced to make concessions and changes to account for it.

Difficult to see how our glorious leaders could sort out global fuel problems. They can't even sort out domestic problems. Or they don't want to.

15 minutes ago, redlion said:

Difficult to see how our glorious leaders could sort out global fuel problems. They can't even sort out domestic problems. Or they don't want to.

Well they could cut fuel duty and VAT for a start

I agree with you though

Anyway we digress...

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Smack of semi-pro level to me.  The pyramid in this country is unique and needs to be preserved in my book.

Although up to 1960 the 3rd Divisions North and South were full time.

However, it appears in Germany where clubs it seems are more fan led the equivalent of our National league and below are regional semi pro.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Although up to 1960 the 3rd Divisions North and South were full time.

However, it appears in Germany where clubs it seems are more fan led the equivalent of our National league and below are regional semi pro.

From another age though surely?  The country is already showing enough disturbing signs of going back to the 1970s without heading back another couple of decades.  I can just about remember Latics matches kicking off at 3.15 to give the mill workers who had worked the Saturday morning shift a few extra minutes to get to the game.

The gap between this level of football and the Championship would be even bigger than it is now.  I'd be interested to know (though not enough so to do the legwork!) how promoted sides from the old regionalised divisions did back in the day.  Less of an issue then due to maximum wages.

44 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

From another age though surely?  The country is already showing enough disturbing signs of going back to the 1970s without heading back another couple of decades.  I can just about remember Latics matches kicking off at 3.15 to give the mill workers who had worked the Saturday morning shift a few extra minutes to get to the game.

The gap between this level of football and the Championship would be even bigger than it is now.  I'd be interested to know (though not enough so to do the legwork!) how promoted sides from the old regionalised divisions did back in the day.  Less of an issue then due to maximum wages.

I loved the 1970s, so I'm biased.

Alan Groves and all that. 🙂

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I'm dead against it. The pyramid should be a national one as far as down as economics support it, in my view. It is part of what makes the game special here.

I suppose that is the point he is trying to make, economically clubs are going to struggle next season paying for away day travel and stopovers alone, it's probably about right where it is now but there must be a feeling that  a National League North and South may be the way to go.

That's before you factor in the cost to the fan. In my opinion the integrity of football was lost long ago and the teams at level 5 and below need to do what's best to protect their futures.

No, not really. As it stands, we're playing in the top flight for the first time since the 1990s. Yes, it's non league, but it's the top flight for the non league. Top flight football! 

I've had an afternoon drink in the sun......

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

In the light of rising living and fuel costs should there be North and South divisions below the Championship?

Probably not, East/West. M6 and M1 routes have more appeal yet still probably not needed above step 2.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I don’t understand that statement…why do you say that?

Wl if you effectively merged L1&2 the standard wouldn't be as high as at the top end of L1. I can see there could be positives, more local games and bigger crowds maybe. But my view would that it would be all about cost saving and that's rarely a route to quality. Can throw up some very odd anomalies as well, the team I followed in Conf South for over a decade in Hertfordshire suddenly found itself in Conf North after Rushden went pop and had midweek away games at Workington and Blyth Spartans. Very nearly broke a thriving club

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I suppose that is the point he is trying to make, economically clubs are going to struggle next season paying for away day travel and stopovers alone, it's probably about right where it is now but there must be a feeling that  a National League North and South may be the way to go.

That's before you factor in the cost to the fan. In my opinion the integrity of football was lost long ago and the teams at level 5 and below need to do what's best to protect their futures.

You make some good points, but if fuel prices weren't through the roof I'm not sure we would even be debating this.

I think there are better ways for tier 5 and 6 clubs to save money.  I don't think the the majority of the NLN clubs need to be full-time, for example.

Archived