Director of Football role

Interested to know what everyone thinks about us getting/needing a Director of Football? 

Mo doesn't count as he was just a fucking dick, however it's my view that we need someone who is well respected and connected, to go and find the right players to get in on loan, and make decisions Sheridan is not qualified enough to do.

We can't afford to bring in the wrong players and Shez isn't well enough connected anymore to the big clubs to get the decisions right.

Maybe that's what Big Joe will do when the sale goes through.

Personally I think it's must if we are to have any chance of competing next season.

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Interested to know what everyone thinks about us getting/needing a Director of Football? 

Mo doesn't count as he was just a fucking dick, however it's my view that we need someone who is well respected and connected, to go and find the right players to get in on loan, and make decisions Sheridan is not qualified enough to do.

We can't afford to bring in the wrong players and Shez isn't well enough connected anymore to the big clubs to get the decisions right.

Maybe that's what Big Joe will do when the sale goes through.

Personally I think it's must if we are to have any chance of competing next season.

Needs to be someone with a club philosophy leading what they do if you go all in. Right through from youths to first team. All playing the same way, always players that fit in. Needs more than just one guy ringing people he knows,  would need a lot of planning. Works for some clubs. Normally higher up. Could work for us given the right infrastructure and investment. They also need a manager that fits with the decided philosophy of they want to play

I don't think it's down to Sheridans contacts or him not being qualified enough I think he has plenty in the game and who could help get us players. Theirs no evidence that Royle will be DOF I imagine he doesn't fancy it his role will be less hands on abit like Ferguson at United now sits on the board but doesn't do much day to day but is a sounding board for advice.

I suppose it's the changing role of the manager really as they are more likely to get out on the Grass coaching rather than sat in their office looking for players these days they leave that to the Director of Football. When Royle was manager he left the coaching aspect more to Willie.

A DOF allows a manager to concentrate more on managing the team rather than spend time looking for players. So they can be useful I think if you have a good DOF then a manager can just slot in underneath them. The Managers role is hard enough so having a DOF help them isn't a bad thing it just needs someone competent to do it. Whether you need one in practice for a league 5 club is debatable at best and probably not needed in reality. But I don't think we can do it with just Shez and Tommy I think they will need other help.

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

How many Directors of Football in Division 5 then?

Yeah at this level there's no need and it's just a waste of a wage. If you don't think the manager has got what it takes in terms of recruitment, he shouldn't be manager....

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You make a fair point....and not many I guess.

However it worked for Stockport last season who were one of the few with that structure in place, and they also had a good manager to work with him.

Doesn't mean it couldn't work for us, or even a Head of Recruitment type position?

BP might fancy it😉

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Needs to be someone with a club philosophy leading what they do if you go all in. Right through from youths to first team. All playing the same way, always players that fit in. Needs more than just one guy ringing people he knows,  would need a lot of planning. Works for some clubs. Normally higher up. Could work for us given the right infrastructure and investment. They also need a manager that fits with the decided philosophy of they want to play

Spot on. 

In that structure the DOF must come first, as they will set the philosophy and identity. They will also be a constant when coaches come and go, therefore any incoming coach must be willing to work with them. 

In our current situation (even if the person was highly credible,) can anyone imagine Shez working with a DOF. . . because I can’t. So if we were to do it, I’d see happening next summer, and only if and when Shez leaves. 

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

In that structure the DOF must come first, as they will set the philosophy and identity. They will also be a constant when coaches come and go, therefore any incoming coach must be willing to work with them. 

In our current situation (even if the person was highly credible,) can anyone imagine Shez working with a DOF. . . because I can’t. So if we were to do it, I’d see happening next summer, and only if and when Shez leaves. 

Darren Royle maybe?

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Not many without looking it up. But I think we are the only club where the manager's #2 can't be involved in transfers, so we need someone to help Shez in that regard. Doesn't have to be a Director of Football per se, but an extra pair of hands, ears and eyes is probably needed.

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Not many without looking it up. But I think we are the only club where the manager's #2 can't be involved in transfers, so we need someone to help Shez in that regard. Doesn't have to be a Director of Football per se, but an extra pair of hands, ears and eyes is probably needed.

He's got Glyn Snodin hasn't he...?

You'd have to get the manager/DOF relationship spot on, otherwise it isn't going to work. It's not worth the hassle of trying to get that right. 

Nothing wrong with keeping it old school - let the manager set-up a scouting network and let him alone live by the signings he makes..

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He called himself a dinosaur when he did the Undr The Cosh podcast...

Dinosaurs once ruled the earth didn't they? Extinction was no fault of their own.

I think a DOF makes sense in the long term, but hard to see it working when a DOF is appointed with a manager / head coach already in place.

FWIW Joe Royle wouldn't be DOF for me. With respect to Joe, a DOF needs to be someone with a strong view about how football will develop going forward. And in our case, someone with a great working knowledge of the lower and non-leagues. And data and analytics.

I love Joe, and I love Shez. But I imagine some time in the not too distant future we will have younger, more progressive thinkers in charge of the football side of things.

Archived