BPAS PODCAST: 8th Aug '22, S3E1: Torquay Heads

Some went by train, some by car, some by coach, some by plane and two got as far as the M6 Toll on a Triumph trike. However they travelled, Oldham in Torquay were a sight and sound to behold...

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry to be pedantic and I know it was one mans view but we played nothing like a 3-5-2 and Sheron was nowhere near man of the match that would be Gardner or Hogan.

In one of the interviews afterwards (think it might have been Clarke's) the media guy referred to us playing a 3-5-2 and Clarke didn't correct him. I was surprised too as it didn't look like 3 at the back to me.

• Matt featured this topic

It was also intimated that Tollit was afraid to have a shot when in fact he had nearly half of the teams efforts (5 I think) although he dragged most of them and didn't really connect, he got in to decent positions but lacked the composure he showed at Fylde where he was obviously more at home, he will score plenty though when he settles in. I wish Fondop would take a bit off his shots and pass them in as opposed to trying to take the back of the net out, he gets in to some great goalscoring positions but wants everything to fly in like an exocet missile, slagging Hope and Stobbs off after Saturday is just lazy journalism, both made decent contributions and played much better than has been suggested.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry to be pedantic and I know it was one mans view but we played nothing like a 3-5-2 and Sheron was nowhere near man of the match that would be Gardner or Hogan.

We did play 3-5-2. Stobbs and Angol as the wing backs. That how I saw it anyways. 

That’s what allowed Hope and Porter to start up top together and Tollit was in behind them. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We did play 3-5-2. Stobbs and Angol as the wing backs. That how I saw it anyways. 

That’s what allowed Hope and Porter to start up top together and Tollit was in behind them. 

Some poor defending on far post crosses, hope our new performance analyst spotted that.

If you saw it as that then Angol should really have been committing himself more further forwards, he played as a traditional left back to me as did Clarke on the right, Stobbs has a tendency to tuck in a lot and looks like he's playing as a wing back but he spent the majority of the game out wide and was a decent outlet.

29 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

@Lee Sinnott brightened up my commute this morning, "city donut" and the kids being convinced we will lose every game whilst he still thinks we should steam roller everyone had me chuckling.

goes to show how different the spoken word can be to the typed one 

Wanted to call him much worse than that, let me tell you...

15 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The sky sports app does list who's playing by the way, they just don't do the formation 

I can only see; Commentary; Key Events & Table, there is no Line Up info like there is for EFL teams, therefore the teamsheet isn't visible?

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

I can only see; Commentary; Key Events & Table, there is no Line Up info like there is for EFL teams, therefore the teamsheet isn't visible?

It was on Saturday came on about 5 mins after kick off and is still there now so not sure why not working for you

Screen shot is too big to upload 

That was another interesting listen.

I think far more about OAFC than I probably should, but it seems to me that, when you set the euphoria to one side, you have exchanged one big challenge for a completely different one. And it isn't that much easier, either.

On the football side of things, I think your squad looks a bit weak, and short of goals, albeit I'm not expecting you to concede loads either. Having no transfer window undeniably helps, because I think there is more wheeling and dealing to be done to have a squad that can cope with a season that may quite easily.run to fifty odd games.   Looking at your fixtures, August and November look quite kind, but the period in between looks testing. By the time the WC starts you will have a better idea of what your prospects are.

Don't underestimate how much time and work will have to go into restoring the club to a properly competitive state. It has been three years for us and we still have volunteers doing work on the club's physical estate.  Living down the club's past reputation should be easier, but will still need care and attention.

I was mildly surprised (and impressed) by the suggestion that Mr. Rothwell may have parted with up to £12m to take the club and settle its debts. That is a generous effort by him if true ; our new owner paid significantly less to buy a mid-table L1 club with a training ground and a hotel. So the caution about how much more money is going to be immediately available for squad strengthening and all the rest was well placed, imho.

Finally, on regionalisation. I'm against changing what we have, which I think is about right. I accept that travel costs are going to be high this season, but when set against wages I think they are of marginal importance to the budget. The reality is that practically every club in the NL is full time, and much of NLN is too. That is where the big financial drain is. The other thing I would say is that greater regionalisation doesn't fully off-set the fact that the majority of upwardly mobile clubs in the middle of the pyramid are based in the South of England. However you carve them up in a regional structure will create anomalies and require constant tinkering, especially for clubs in the South Midlands who already get moved between Divisions quite regularly - which I always think makes business planning harder for them because they can never plan for continuity.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. 

Can I just put on record my apologies to Dave Bradley for questioning his match report  I was down at the club today and asked the question with regards the formation and it was indeed a 3-5-2, I hadn't even had a drink Saturday (day) so probably need a trip to specsavers, I know it's eating away at him and he's probably losing sleep over it so I thought I'd put the record straight and apologise. :OASISscarf:

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can I just put on record my apologies to Dave Bradley for questioning his match report  I was down at the club today and asked the question with regards the formation and it was indeed a 3-5-2, I hadn't even had a drink Saturday (day) so probably need a trip to specsavers, I know it's eating away at him and he's probably losing sleep over it so I thought I'd put the record straight and apologise. :OASISscarf:

I said this. Apology accepted 😉 

Archived