MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Hopefully we can get the right loans in, because we ain't good enough with what we have 

I'm not sure why anybody would have thought anything else (not suggesting that you did).  It's not like we had a whole pre-season where the club could focus on football matters.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

I saw someone in the JRS being sent back inside with one. I think a few slipped through the net in the large crowd. 

I saw a couple of people baffled that they couldn't bring beer to their seat.

And why wouldn't you be if you were previously unaware?

An utterly bizarre rule I can't believe is still in place 

22 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

An utterly bizarre rule I can't believe is still in place 

First game where it could be allowed and we've our biggest crowd for a decade... kinda makes sense to keep things simple? Maybe they will ease things once it's only a couple of thousand and the official ceremony hasn't started 3 hours before kick-off... 

4 minutes ago, Ackey said:

First game where it could be allowed and we've our biggest crowd for a decade... kinda makes sense to keep things simple? Maybe they will ease things once it's only a couple of thousand and the official ceremony hasn't started 3 hours before kick-off... 

No, it's not allowed at this level 

I like a pint or two as much as anyone but can't really see the big drawback in not being allowed to drink whilst watching the match.

It may be OK at matches with a few hundred spectators but with crowds like Saturday's it's a bit of a nuisance, especially with kids jumping up and down waving flags in a pretty restricted space, so beer's inevitably going to be spilled.

I realise it may be awkward getting a pint at half time but surely a couple before the match , one at half time and a couple after is enough anaesthetic, however badly we've played.

I seem to have inherited @BP1960's role here but don't think it's a major problem as most of us just want to watch the game.   😄 🦕🍺

10 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I like a pint or two as much as anyone but can't really see the big drawback in not being allowed to drink whilst watching the match.

It may be OK at matches with a few hundred spectators but with crowds like Saturday's it's a bit of a nuisance, especially with kids jumping up and down waving flags in a pretty restricted space, so beer's inevitably going to be spilled.

I realise it may be awkward getting a pint at half time but surely a couple before the match , one at half time and a couple after is enough anaesthetic, however badly we've played.

I seem to have inherited @BP1960's role here but don't think it's a major problem as most of us just want to watch the game.   😄 🦕🍺

If you can drink all day at the cricket, drink at the rugby, drink all day at the horse racing then you should be able to take a pint to your seat at the football if you want to do.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you can drink all day at the cricket, drink at the rugby, drink all day at the horse racing then you should be able to take a pint to your seat at the football if you want to do.

Being able to drink all day at the racing comes close to wrecking the whole racing experience.  Gangs of piss heads with zero interest in the sport with inevitable consequences.  When I first started going racing 40 years ago taking beer outside the bars was an absolute no no.  No law involved,  just sensible arrangements.  

Cricket is usually a half day job, racing there are separate dedicated bars where you can watch the action on TV's ( every meeting I've been to you can't take a beer onto the terracing !) and maybe they've got it wrong at the rugby ?

It's just the close proximity of everyone, including kids for the foreseeable future, that makes it a questionable move in my opinion.

I could understand wanting as many as possible it if you're watching Manu but it's only a couple of hours without a refill !  😓   

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

I think a telling part was the commentary from BT during game with Adam Virgo saying something along the lines of that we're not good enough at the moment to challenge for promotion.

Well if Adam Virgo's said it...

A few loans would be good, but I'm struggling to see why Saturday has generated so much concern.

We had to play not only the game, but also the heat and the occasion as well.  Dorking obviously did too, but all the pressure was on us.  We're a club in recovery, while they're a club on the up.  This was THEIR big occasion as well and they were going to be at their absolute best in a relatively big ground on the tele - I think that ended up working to our advantage as they were keen to have all the play, but that resulted in us scoring twice because they gave it away.  Make no mistake, it was always going to be a test - Dorking wanted to ruin our day and I actually expected the 0-1 home defeat classic.  But it wasn't, so well played Latics - we might need to be better in the future, but Saturday was very much a hurdle jumped.

The worrying thing for me is the fact that Dorking are part time and you’d have expected them to have tired in the last quarter yet they were still full of running and we were really hanging on!!

I’m just watching the re run on BT and confirms my thoughts on Saturday, we gave them so much time and space on the ball throughout the game and especially in the last quarter it beggars belief.

As a Dorking fan coming away from that with nothing you’d be well pissed off….we were extremely lucky to get the 3 points.

Massive improvement needed if we want to be challenging near the top so let’s hope the loan players coming in can make a difference!

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't see why people can't just go 45 minutes without a drink to watch a half of football. But then again, I also don't get why it's not allowed should they want to...

29 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Absolutely.  I watch a fair amount of Isthmian League stuff.  A very different situation when there are a couple of hundred people.  I watched one bloke on Saturday spend the best part of half an hour berating a steward about half his age because the steward had missed someone going through to the JRS with a pint.  Just weird.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Also, on a daytripper theme. Fella sat in front of me on Saturday asked me if Oldham were in blue or red...

First time I went to watch my newish local side was in an away FA Cup game last season.  I knew 'we' played in yellow.  Spent the fist twenty minutes watching before realising that so did the home team...

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Absolutely.  I watch a fair amount of Isthmian League stuff.  A very different situation when there are a couple of hundred people.  I watched one bloke on Saturday spend the best part of half an hour berating a steward about half his age because the steward had missed someone going through to the JRS with a pint.  Just weird.

Yes was that on the jimmy frizzel stand half of the pitch because I saw that happen. I mean seriously the sun's out we were winning the bad men have left and you are bothered by that let it go man.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes was that on the jimmy frizzel stand half of the pitch because I saw that happen. I mean seriously the sun's out we were winning the bad men have left and you are bothered by that let it go man.

To quote him:  'You've ruined my day'

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well if Adam Virgo's said it...

A few loans would be good, but I'm struggling to see why Saturday has generated so much concern.

We had to play not only the game, but also the heat and the occasion as well.  Dorking obviously did too, but all the pressure was on us.  We're a club in recovery, while they're a club on the up.  This was THEIR big occasion as well and they were going to be at their absolute best in a relatively big ground on the tele - I think that ended up working to our advantage as they were keen to have all the play, but that resulted in us scoring twice because they gave it away.  Make no mistake, it was always going to be a test - Dorking wanted to ruin our day and I actually expected the 0-1 home defeat classic.  But it wasn't, so well played Latics - we might need to be better in the future, but Saturday was very much a hurdle jumped.

I've just watched the full match back and we are a million miles behind Dorking, what I missed watching live on Saturday was our lack of desire and determination to close Dorking down, fucking embarrassing seeing some of them swan around only interested when the ball was at their feet, what a breath of fresh air Dorking were, committing players forward and trying to take the game to us from minute one.

Didn't realise Clarke had played so bad not sure if he found a blue shirt all afternoon, Luamba when he came on couldn't be arsed tracking back after he was turning the ball over - criminal and bone idle. Hogan man of the match, thought he had a nightmare last 15, decided he wasn't going to mark and stood off his player resulting in both goals, looked the best player for 70 minutes but that was schoolboy defending. Angol is anonymous sits in but you are going to get nothing out of him going forward, lack of desire is alarming, on the flip side their No 3 who probably works Monday to Friday showed him how to play was a constant threat and he deserves to be playing on a full time basis.

As good as Tollitt was going forward I dont think we can afford to play him and Burgess in the same team, neither wants to press the ball or put any sort of pressure on the oppositions midfield.

Stobbs well I don't even know what to say anymore so will leave it at that.

As for Dorking I think they will push for playoffs, how refreshing to have a manager whose 1st thought is to score goals, accepts they will concede but backs his team, currently we will do well to finish above them, they will score goals against anyone and if they cut out the individual errors they could be right up there, man for man you'd take at least 6 or 7 of their players and they'd walk straight in to our team.

Anyway despite all that unbeaten in 2 and on to the next one. :OASISscarf:

Everything around restricting/controlling drinking at football results in people having to throw them down before the match and then at half time. 

If drunkenness, and trouble from drunkenness, is the concern people being able to drink steadily would do way more to alleviate that than the current nonsense. 

There wouldn't have been the scrap that happened in the JRS queue either if they were serving a steady stream for 3 or 4 hours rather than a scrum for 20 minutes....  

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Everything around restricting/controlling drinking at football results in people having to throw them down before the match and then at half time. 

If drunkenness, and trouble from drunkenness, is the concern people being able to drink steadily would do way more to alleviate that than the current nonsense. 

There wouldn't have been the scrap that happened in the JRS queue either if they were serving a steady stream for 3 or 4 hours rather than a scrum for 20 minutes....  

Speaking of drinking, did anyone see that girl in the fans bar after the game? Christ almighty...

Archived