MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I know I'll get shot down by the "a win is a win" lads and girls, but that performance was completely unacceptable...

I thought it was a very mixed bag.

Our passing and ball retention was pretty terrible, but I was happy with the way Sheridan has set us up.  It's not leakproof but it's logical and functional.  We have key structural points of the squad in early (big tall GK, leader at CB in Hogan, target man in Porter) as well as individual talents such as Tollitt and Burgess who are keen to bring the ball foŕward at pace.  We need to add to the squad as the season goes on, but we will have ample opportunity to do that without a transfer window.

I was impressed with the passing ability of Dorking and the crosses and headers for their goals were of very good quality, and yet I'm far from convinced that they are going to stay up playing like that.  It wasn't pretty watching our defence and midfield sitting back so much, but I'd far rather see that than the Dorking midfield that got sliced apart so easily.

We have elements of complacency within our fanbase about how we are going to do this season, but not from Sheridan.  He understands what we'll need in order to win matches.  It won't always be pretty but more often than not it'll get the job done.

Stop moaning, FFS. What is up with you?

We scored three goals.

We won.

Yes, we switched off, but we've been doing that for 50 years (I still have flashbacks to playing Portsmouth, 5-1 up with 5 minutes to go, finished 5-3 and we were hanging on). 

Norman - excellent.

Hulk Hogan - excellent.

Tollitt - posed a real threat.

This is a new squad, still getting to know each other.

Best midfielder - suspended.

Midfield player started first game for a year.

Hope should've had a first half hat-trick. 

Shez wants to sign 2-3 other players, hopefully with a bit more quality and pace.

We played against a team that was always going to raise their game and which is virtually intact from last season's promotion campaign.

Cracking day and atmosphere.

It takes time to get everything right, including the cold drinks. Who the fuck could plan ahead to the point where we needed more cold drinks at BP? I've sat at BP in the sunshine in August and still needed a coat, hat and scarf.

The revolution is only a few weeks underway. 

We have no debt.

We have four points.

We have a future.

We're not United...

Thought Dorking played well to come back and looked dangerous at times.

Took our goals well but some sloppy midfield play and Stobbs poor.

Thought when it was 3-2 here we go again but we held on

Great crowd and atmosphere but couldn't  make out some of Frank's speech!!

Roll on Tuesday.

We gave them way too much space, they actually pass the ball well, something we didn't do. 

Hogan will be a brilliant signing for us, definitely in the Peter Clarke mould. I would imagine that Gardner comes straight back in on Tuesday, he will be head and shoulders above most of this division. And well played the keeper. 

Anyone still having it that Leutwiler is the better keeper..... anyone???? Some right chumps on here listening to what other fans are saying without even watching him play, kept us in it with two worldies first half. Man of the match for me.

Hogan was good for 75 minutes as was Sheron but the rest were poor, no urgency, fight at times and dare I say it desire, Cooper looked leggy after 70 minutes and to negate that we somehow ended up playing a flat back seven, embarrassing really against a team who train on a Tuesday and Thursday night after work, Angol can defend but is no wing back, doesn't want to support an attack and is lazy getting back in, Clarke was steady again.

Midfield powder puff, Cooper worked hard but we carry Tollit at times, Stobbs I thought had turned a corner but that was fucking dreadful today, looked nervous again for some reason and he always has a dreadful error in him.

Hope and Porter scored but offer nothing in the press which puts even more pressure on the midfield,  Fondop and Luamba (meh).

Lucky in the end, how we can fall apart like that in the last 15 is a huge worry, mentally weak but we got away with it, sitting back like that we'll get battered before long as Dorking had half a dozen chances they should of done better with.

Wins a win but we need some players in preferably midfielders that can hold on to the ball and find a blue shirt, Shez just isn't going to play Harry Vaughan.

Be buying there No 3 best player on the pitch by a country mile and his fitness put some of our lads to shame.

Wins a win, joint top and on to Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Anyone still having it that Leutwiler is the better keeper..... anyone???? Some right chumps on here listening to what other fans are saying without even watching him play, kept us in it with two worldies first half. Man of the match for me.

Hogan was good for 75 minutes as was Sheron but the rest were poor, no urgency, fight at times and dare I say it desire, Cooper looked leggy after 70 minutes and to negate that we somehow ended up playing a flat back seven, embarrassing really against a team who train on a Tuesday and Thursday night after work, Angol can defend but is no wing back, doesn't want to support an attack and is lazy getting back in, Clarke was steady again.

Midfield powder puff, Cooper worked hard but we carry Tollit at times, Stobbs I thought had turned a corner but that was fucking dreadful today, looked nervous again for some reason and he always has a dreadful error in him.

Hope and Porter scored but offer nothing in the press which puts even more pressure on the midfield,  Fondop and Luamba (meh).

Lucky in the end, how we can fall apart like that in the last 15 is a huge worry, mentally weak but we got away with it, sitting back like that we'll get battered before long as Dorking had half a dozen chances they should of done better with.

Wins a win but we need some players in preferably midfielders that can hold on to the ball and find a blue shirt, Shez just isn't going to play Harry Vaughan.

Be buying there No 3 best player on the pitch by a country mile and his fitness put some of our lads to shame.

Hardly suprising Stobbs is nervous  if he reads the shit on this board .We have the best/worst fans in football , got rid of the Lemmings just in time ,have our club back , looking like the best chairman in our history  and people are still moaning ffs . Oh and did I mention we are joint top of the league . But we are only two games in with more team strengthening to come. 

1 minute ago, penrhyn said:

Hardly suprising Stobbs is nervous  if he reads the shit on this board .We have the best/worst fans in football , got rid of the Lemmings just in time ,have our club back , looking like the best chairman in our history  and people are still moaning ffs . Oh and did I mention we are joint top of the league . But we are only two games in with more team strengthening to come. 

Aye sorry he was 10/10 today, didn't put a foot wrong and deserves a pay rise - that any better?

It's a message board if you hadn't noticed, people have differing opinions, it's a discussion between fans, we won't all agree but I think most will think what I've put isn't that inaccurate, happy for you to point out the positives in his performance because I thought he had a mare.

Thought the turning point was when the "ole's" started.

Their heads had dropped a bit until then and we thought the match was over and started showboating a bit. Credit to Dorking for getting back into the match and working our keeper ( which we didn't do !) and making us panic clearances.

It's obvious we need a couple of loan? players in to strengthen midfield and a decent wide man who'll go at defenders as we're too keen to play the ball backwards just to retain possession.

Actually, I'd had a radical rethink. I will now only return to BP if the following demands are met by Tuesday:

A chauffeur driven Rolls to pick me up from my house.

I am carried into a softly cushioned seat.

I am given quality champagne for 3 hours, plus any pies of choice. Temperatures have to be spot on in each case.

Someone wipes my arse when I go to the toilet.

Someone reads the programme for me.

I am given £20 ph. It's a disgrace not being paid for my time. 

We win 8-0, every game.

I am given a neck massage.

I am carried back to the Rolls and driven home.

We don't want to go back to the ALMO days. Give in to my demands or I'm not going again. I want it all, and I want it NOW!

11 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

If someone criticised me for doing my job, I would think fuck you I will show you. Obviously Stobbs is mentally weak as well as being a poor footballer, we should farm him out on loan to a team that has one man and his dog watching. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Aye sorry he was 10/10 today, didn't put a foot wrong and deserves a pay rise - that any better?

It's a message board if you hadn't noticed, people have differing opinions, it's a discussion between fans, we won't all agree but I think most will think what I've put isn't that inaccurate, happy for you to point out the positives in his performance because I thought he had a mare.

Not really getting at you and wasnt being critical of your post . I was  just making a general point about the amout of negative comments especially before the league started, cant help the lads confidence . Well aware  its a message board just think some people go over the top sometimes (not you, your post i normally nod in agreament) .For what its worth I think if we do get players in his position will be under threat. Think Gardner was a big miss today , which is another worry.

I think we also have to remember this is a brand new team which has to learn each others capabilities in a live match situation . Paticularily game management which may take a few more games and rollickings from shezz.

We don’t have a defined style and pattern of play yet, Dorking do and it showed. Thank god they leave themselves open when attacking. 
Hopefully one will emerge for us over the coming weeks although we’ll need new players to pull one off I think.

Hogan looked like a rock but was beaten in the air twice by a smaller albeit prolific striker for the goals. They felt reminiscent of when Pidge got done by Kev Ellison for Newports winner on the first game of last season. 
Thanks god Shez brought McGahey on at the end, he headed one away to stop a sure fire equaliser. I don’t Shez isn’t having him but playing a midfielder in his place doesn’t sit well with me.

We were missing the focal point of the whole team so allowances have to be made for that but no way did we deserve to be 3-0 up, we got played off the park and I’m sure Shez would admit that. 

Cooper had to do a lot on his own but in no way is he an upgrade on Missilou.

Their left back reminded me of Chris Armstrong and some of those deliveries were David Eyres-esque. He might have ear throat himself a move somewhere on that showing in front of the cameras.

I’m not having Hope even allowing for his goal, we could easily get someone better in his position. 

Burgess didn’t have anyone on his wavelength, he kept showing and the team couldn’t find him with the pass. 

The team definitely isn’t balanced and needs to be quickly if we want a chance of going up automatically. That feels a long way off and would have done even if it stayed 3-0.

At least a win was the icing in the cake for any newbies.

14 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

We don’t have a defined style and pattern of play yet, Dorking do and it showed. Thank god they leave themselves open when attacking. 
Hopefully one will emerge for us over the coming weeks although we’ll need new players to pull one off I think.

Hogan looked like a rock but was beaten in the air twice by a smaller albeit prolific striker for the goals. They felt reminiscent of when Pidge got done by Kev Ellison for Newports winner on the first game of last season. 
Thanks god Shez brought McGahey on at the end, he headed one away to stop a sure fire equaliser. I don’t Shez isn’t having him but playing a midfielder in his place doesn’t sit well with me.

We were missing the focal point of the whole team so allowances have to be made for that but no way did we deserve to be 3-0 up, we got played off the park and I’m sure Shez would admit that. 

Cooper had to do a lot on his own but in no way is he an upgrade on Missilou.

Their left back reminded me of Chris Armstrong and some of those deliveries were David Eyres-esque. He might have ear throat himself a move somewhere on that showing in front of the cameras.

I’m not having Hope even allowing for his goal, we could easily get someone better in his position. 

Burgess didn’t have anyone on his wavelength, he kept showing and the team couldn’t find him with the pass. 

The team definitely isn’t balanced and needs to be quickly if we want a chance of going up automatically. That feels a long way off and would have done even if it stayed 3-0.

At least a win was the icing in the cake for any newbies.

Hope missed a sitter after working himself a chance, he is another player we may have to carry all season. 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Not really pal but thanks for the offer 

Anyone knew it was a heat wave and latics may not be able to meet demand (under the old regime) and the new have even asked for patience

Anyway second half has started 

With you chaddy on this one. We’ve had 15+ years of the club being run into the ground, and the new regime cannot possibly sort every problem out instantly.

Personal responsibility. Anyone who leaves home for 2 hours plus in this heatwave without adequate supply of water on them needs to think again.

Great result. We didn’t really deserve but I don’t care.

Bit worrying that for the entire match we had a gaping hole in the midfield that their 18 took full advantage of… yet Shez and Tommy did nothing about it. Very odd. 

Anyhow. 3 points, 8400 in the ground. Amazing day. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Great result. We didn’t really deserve but I don’t care.

Bit worrying that for the entire match we had a gaping hole in the midfield that their 18 took full advantage of… yet Shez and Tommy did nothing about it. Very odd. 

Anyhow. 3 points, 8400 in the ground. Amazing day. 

There number 18 was the best player on the pitch by a mile 👍

26 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

We don’t have a defined style and pattern of play yet, Dorking do and it showed. 

I agree, but having a defined pattern of play for Dorking isn't necessarily a positive.  They'll need to be able to mix it up at this level because that midfield (from a defensive point of view) will see them struggling to survive relegation.

58 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree with just about every word of that, especially on Norman, easily MOTM for me, kept us in it first half when Dorking were shredding us.

As for their part timers running out of gas towards the end in the heat, as some thought might happen, perhaps some of our players should have a look at themselves. We were second to the 50/50s far too often and gave Dorking far too much space. They were unlucky.

Archived