MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

5 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Fane struggled with all 3 of those, especially if there was no team mate within 5 yards, yet some people still rave about him on social media. Because he could run all game and is 6ft4. 

Do they?? 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Weird then that the one player we have on the books (Vaughan) who keeps the ball better than anyone else has yet to play a minute of football, Gardner was a massive miss yesterday yet we replaced him with a lad who has ability running at defences but offers little else in the centre of the park, patently obvious what was needed yesterday but for some reason the answer always seems to be revert to a 7-1-2 system and hope for the best in the last 10 minutes, there's a reason Shez' teams concede late goals in games they dominate, we invite pressure, sit further and further back, we end up with that many bodies dropping in that nobody takes responsibility, you can almost sense what's going to happen so the players obviously feel it too.

Spot on. 

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

This. I would play McGahey on Tuesday and play Sheron in midfield in place of Cooper and Gardner back for Burgess.

I agree with this for the most part to make us more solid, but if Burgess gets dropped instead of Stobbs then there's no real justice.

Norman

Clarke

McGahey

Hogan

Francis-Angol

Burgess

Gardner

Sheron

Tollitt

Porter

Hope

It could easily turn into a 4-3-3 if needed too.

I think some are getting carried away with Dorking's performance.

Their play had part-time written all over it.

Their threat amounted to 2 good shots through crowded penalty box and 2 wicked crosses from the left, all courtesy of the same player.

Guaranteed to struggle and should have been put to the sword by a Latics side with much the better players but that never really clicked. Plenty to work on and with for Shez & Tommy.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Because football is still a sport that requires physical fitness and often a physical presence. 

Fane struggled with all 3 of those, especially if there was no team mate within 5 yards, yet some people still rave about him on social media. Because he could run all game and is 6ft4. 

Fane was doing it in League 1 not League 2 or the Conference.

He’s still doing it in League 1 now and is a lot better with the ball at his feet than he was when he was here.

He would absolutely dominate this league, he did when he was at Kidderminster hence why we signed him 

52 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

I think some are getting carried away with Dorking's performance.

Their play had part-time written all over it.

Their threat amounted to 2 good shots through crowded penalty box and 2 wicked crosses from the left, all courtesy of the same player.

Guaranteed to struggle and should have been put to the sword by a Latics side with much the better players but that never really clicked. Plenty to work on and with for Shez & Tommy.

Dorking had 14 attempts yesterday - 7 on target. Two more than we did. They had 5 corners and bossed the possession. 

They played some slick passing football and I liked the way they left three upfield when defending corners and free kicks plus the way they stretched the play. Refreshing to watch.

Ultimately this cost them the game but their performance was certainly better than part time 😮

They will learn too I suggest.

Just one bit of a negative from the Athleticos who were once again brilliant yesterday.....the one's who stood on the hoardings after we scored and were quickly copied by youngsters.

It's literally just a step from pitch incursion and in the current climate needs nipping in the bud.

Sorry for being an old fogey but you're not setting a good example to our even younger supporters. 🙄🦕

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Is Stobbs the only right winger we have...?

He's must have something on Shez to warrant the faith the manager has in him, totally ineffective yesterday and his delivery was shocking, chalk and cheese in just one week.

There must be someone coming in this week, hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Just a quick one from yesterday (not a moan before I get shot down)

But I thought in non-league, you could drink beer in your seats?

I believe the no beer in sight of the pitch rule applies to tiers 1-5. National League North/South and down you can.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Dorking had 14 attempts yesterday - 7 on target. Two more than we did. They had 5 corners and bossed the possession. 

They played some slick passing football and I liked the way they left three upfield when defending corners and free kicks plus the way they stretched the play. Refreshing to watch.

Ultimately this cost them the game but their performance was certainly better than part time 😮

Agreed. 

They played really well, and the idea that we should just steam roller teams, with players like Stobbs in the side is a nonsense. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Thanks, 14 shots, blimey. Guess I'm being harsh then but I do think you're generous. 

Dorking didn't boss anything, they passed it when invited to but lacked quality when not i.e. the final third (left back aside). Plus every time they were turned they looked likely to concede.

Definitely a regular for the wrong side of my win btts trixies me thinks.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Do they?? 

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Fane would have been perfect yesterday in that midfield 

1 hour ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Fane was doing it in League 1 not League 2 or the Conference.

He’s still doing it in League 1 now and is a lot better with the ball at his feet than he was when he was here.

He would absolutely dominate this league, he did when he was at Kidderminster hence why we signed him 

QED

12 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Thanks, 14 shots, blimey. Guess I'm being harsh then but I do think you're generous. 

Dorking didn't boss anything, they passed it when invited to but lacked quality when not i.e. the final third (left back aside). Plus every time they were turned they looked likely to concede.

Definitely a regular for the wrong side of my win btts trixies me thinks.

Looked like they bossed the last 20 minutes when we couldn't get the ball off them...

I thought our stand outs in the match were Norman, Hogan, Tollitt & Porter.

Norman for the good saves with strong hands pushing the ball away from the two good shots by Dorking. Hogan looked reassuring, calm and doing a good captain role in the centre of defence. Tollitt impressed me with his strong quick running forward and chipped in with a goal again. Porter, just being Porter and running the forward line and keeping the Dorking central defenders honest.

Not quite sure why Shez and Tommy allowed all game the freedom of the middle section to Dorking. Their central midfield lad (18 Moore I think) found himself space and passed it all all game. Their wing backs could press on at will at times and indeed it was their lad down the left that brought good saves out of Norman. In fact I think he's worth our scouts keeping an eye on.

So in summary, It was nice to get 3 goals and a cracking party atmosphere however it certainly wasn't a top drawer performance in all aspects of a match. Very much a work in progress and providing we do progress then a play off place at least should be realistic. Frank is just bangers!!.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Looked like they bossed the last 20 minutes when we couldn't get the ball off them...

We could but we gave it straight back to them again.

If a neutral was watching that match and you asked them who was the part time outfit was they wouldn't have given you the right answer. I'm hoping Gardner fixes a lot that was wrong yesterday but that is a bit of a worry being so reliant on one man so early in the season.

Shez mentioned throw-ins during his post match iv & I agree with him. It’s a hangover from last season as well. Most throw-ins we take are miscontrolled or given to someone under pressure & we lose the ball.

Pretty much every Dorking throw-in was received by someone in acres of space and a Latics player yards behind & no pressure. There was one in the 2nd half that was taken and thrown to a CM almost in the centre circle able to control and run forward without challenge. Was baffling to watch.

Archived