MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

14 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

The biggest signing we’ve made in years is Hogan. He’s head and shoulders above anything we’ve had. Pidge isn’t fit enough to lace his boots, he reminds me of a young Peter Clarke.

When we go up this year, I’ve seen in two games that he’d walk through league 2. I can guarantee Hogan will be the fans player of the year.

Well just about every time he has had a chance of Lge football he has been transferred back to Non Lge.

Us being the latest after he won promotion last year with Stockport.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He was a 7/10 at Torquay.

We seem to have a few who'll always be a 6 or 7 out of 10 - Gardner, Sheron, Hogan, Clarke, Cooper, Porter, Tollitt....

A few who you can see regularly being a 5 or worse - Norman, Stobbs, Burgess, Hope, Luamba.

Fondop either an 8 or a 4, never anywhere in between.

We've got nobody who'll be a consistent 7 or 8 with regular 9's and the odd 10.

Cue "they wouldn't be playing at this level" from the #NobodyWantsToBuyAFootballClubLads.......

26 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

The biggest signing we’ve made in years is Hogan. He’s head and shoulders above anything we’ve had. Pidge isn’t fit enough to lace his boots, he reminds me of a young Peter Clarke.

I was thinking this including the Clarke comparison.

Until their 2 goals, after one of which he was even momentarily pretending to be injured. Set alarm bells ringing a bit that.  

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I was thinking this including the Clarke comparison.

Until their 2 goals, after one of which he was even momentarily pretending to be injured. Set alarm bells ringing a bit that.  

I get that but he was exposed time and time again by the lack of protection from midfield. How many times was that number 3 allowed to ping crosses in without being challenged.

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

I hope you mean Neil and not Nicky. I'd not trust Nicky Adams to cross the road from what I saw last season.

What did you see? Boycotting weren't you?

Nick Adams has a very high number of assists in his careers just with us he had nobody to aim for. Would have been great with Porter and Fondop to hit this season

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Do you think it is that Sheridan sees something in him or is it just that there is nobody else to play out there? Priority signing has to be a right winger for me...

He signed him up again so must see something in him. Doesn't Windass play right wing? Granted his pedigree screams binman.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

We seem to have a few who'll always be a 6 or 7 out of 10 - Gardner, Sheron, Hogan, Clarke, Cooper, Porter, Tollitt....

A few who you can see regularly being a 5 or worse - Norman, Stobbs, Burgess, Hope, Luamba.

Fondop either an 8 or a 4, never anywhere in between.

We've got nobody who'll be a consistent 7 or 8 with regular 9's and the odd 10.

Cue "they wouldn't be playing at this level" from the #NobodyWantsToBuyAFootballClubLads.......

Is that not a bit harsh on Norman? I thought he was probably MOM on Saturday?

I have just watched the game back again today. You can actually watch and think a bit about the players and the patterns when you are not fretting about conceding a goal every time the opposition has the ball!

Most importantly it was an incredible, amazing and scarcely believable occasion on Saturday. For our club to be rescued from almost certain terminal decline, and then to witness that crowd showing such passion and support for our team was very emotional. I was not there on Saturday but will now make the pilgrimage back up north at some point this season to soak up that atmosphere, and remind myself of those great days in the Chaddy Road End all those years ago.

I am sure the magnitude of the occasion, in front of the tv cameras (btw, Bt Sport coverage was excellent, and I rate that co-commentator) must have had an impact on the players, and may in part explain a quite nervy and timid first half display. We sort of looked like a team low on confidence with most of the players not really wanting to take responsibility with the ball at feet and far too many simple passes were misplaced.
Dorking in contrast were comfortable in possession, and (although leaving themselves too open when they went forward - a touch of the Harry Kewells) they had a better shape and system than us.

it was probably only at 3-0 that we finally gained some control and started to keep the ball better. Burgess came into the game more and looked quite tidy, and Tollitt was deservedly MOTM, but that midfield three was vey much overran until we got the lead and the higher energy performance of Dorking in the first hour lead to them losing a bit of zip.

The two  goals we then conceded, when the game should have been done,  exposed two biggest weaknesses (bigger than our stretched and somewhat lightweight midfield); Stobbs and playing a back 3/5.

Both goals came from good deliveries from their left back who found space because Stubbs chose not to push on and close down, instead preferring to hang back and defend either a space or a more advanced wide player. In both cases this just left Clarke out of the game as he was then just shuffled inside Stobbs with no role to play as Hogan and Sheron were already there (Clarke pprbably even got in the way of the centre half for their second goal when he belatedly tried to come over).

So, why did Stobbs decide not to press, for either goal? Was this also the case throughout the game and hence why the midfield was often overran?

Maybe he was following instructions, and that is where my gripe about playing five at the back comes in. I didn’t get it last season under Curle, and I didn’t get it again yesterday. Playing four at the back, i believe, plays to our strengths in that Clarke is, and Angol appears to be, a solid defensive full back, hence less crosses will get into the box.  Clarke and Hogan will both carry the ball from the back and help to get use higher up the pitch. For now, play Mcgahey alongside Hogan and get Sheron in midfield (he can clearly play) alongside Gardener. Those two won’t provide loads of creativity, but play four from Hope/Fondop/Porter/ Burgess/Tollit/ Maynard (when fit) Vaughn etc in a 442 or 433 shape.

As ever, for me, it’s about playing your best players in their best positions and the right formation  should drop out of that 

I know we lack pace at the back, creativity in midfield, perhaps a wide player who can beat a man and/or put crossses in the box like their left back did, and maybe a poacher up top. However fixing those gaps might help us to be a play off side rather than a top half side, which is what I think we currently are if we play to the strengths of the players we currently have.

However the team that played on Saturday would be likely to get beat more often than not by one of the better sides as we would lose the midfield and once we had conceded would then struggle to get back on top.

I do hope that Shez works it out, and I am sure there will be two or three better additions to come in the next few weeks. We have competent and ambitious ownership (and football expertise and experience in the boardroom). They will know that if we are competitive in this division then the fans will stick around and we can really build back. For those reasons I am confident for the season ahead.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:47 AM, HarryBosch said:

No, it's not allowed at this level 

Sorry I wasn't clear. I know that it's allowed, what I am saying is the club may have chosen not to allow it to keep things simple given the events of the day.

Just now, Ackey said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I know that it's allowed, what I am saying is the club may have chosen not to allow it to keep things simple given the events of the day.

Beer in the stands?  Not allowed at his level - one down is the highest it is

11 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

I have just watched the game back again today. You can actually watch and think a bit about the players and the patterns when you are not fretting about conceding a goal every time the opposition has the ball!

Most importantly it was an incredible, amazing and scarcely believable occasion on Saturday. For our club to be rescued from almost certain terminal decline, and then to witness that crowd showing such passion and support for our team was very emotional. I was not there on Saturday but will now make the pilgrimage back up north at some point this season to soak up that atmosphere, and remind myself of those great days in the Chaddy Road End all those years ago.

I am sure the magnitude of the occasion, in front of the tv cameras (btw, Bt Sport coverage was excellent, and I rate that co-commentator) must have had an impact on the players, and may in part explain a quite nervy and timid first half display. We sort of looked like a team low on confidence with most of the players not really wanting to take responsibility with the ball at feet and far too many simple passes were misplaced.
Dorking in contrast were comfortable in possession, and (although leaving themselves too open when they went forward - a touch of the Harry Kewells) they had a better shape and system than us.

it was probably only at 3-0 that we finally gained some control and started to keep the ball better. Burgess came into the game more and looked quite tidy, and Tollitt was deservedly MOTM, but that midfield three was vey much overran until we got the lead and the higher energy performance of Dorking in the first hour lead to them losing a bit of zip.

The two  goals we then conceded, when the game should have been done,  exposed two biggest weaknesses (bigger than our stretched and somewhat lightweight midfield); Stobbs and playing a back 3/5.

Both goals came from good deliveries from their left back who found space because Stubbs chose not to push on and close down, instead preferring to hang back and defend either a space or a more advanced wide player. In both cases this just left Clarke out of the game as he was then just shuffled inside Stobbs with no role to play as Hogan and Sheron were already there (Clarke pprbably even got in the way of the centre half for their second goal when he belatedly tried to come over).

So, why did Stobbs decide not to press, for either goal? Was this also the case throughout the game and hence why the midfield was often overran?

Maybe he was following instructions, and that is where my gripe about playing five at the back comes in. I didn’t get it last season under Curle, and I didn’t get it again yesterday. Playing four at the back, i believe, plays to our strengths in that Clarke is, and Angol appears to be, a solid defensive full back, hence less crosses will get into the box.  Clarke and Hogan will both carry the ball from the back and help to get use higher up the pitch. For now, play Mcgahey alongside Hogan and get Sheron in midfield (he can clearly play) alongside Gardener. Those two won’t provide loads of creativity, but play four from Hope/Fondop/Porter/ Burgess/Tollit/ Maynard (when fit) Vaughn etc in a 442 or 433 shape.

As ever, for me, it’s about playing your best players in their best positions and the right formation  should drop out of that 

I know we lack pace at the back, creativity in midfield, perhaps a wide player who can beat a man and/or put crossses in the box like their left back did, and maybe a poacher up top. However fixing those gaps might help us to be a play off side rather than a top half side, which is what I think we currently are if we play to the strengths of the players we currently have.

However the team that played on Saturday would be likely to get beat more often than not by one of the better sides as we would lose the midfield and once we had conceded would then struggle to get back on top.

I do hope that Shez works it out, and I am sure there will be two or three better additions to come in the next few weeks. We have competent and ambitious ownership (and football expertise and experience in the boardroom). They will know that if we are competitive in this division then the fans will stick around and we can really build back. For those reasons I am confident for the season ahead.

Pretty much spot on.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Beer in the stands?  Not allowed at his level - one down is the highest it is

Really? Huh. Ta, I thought it was this level. 

23 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Everything around restricting/controlling drinking at football results in people having to throw them down before the match and then at half time. 

If drunkenness, and trouble from drunkenness, is the concern people being able to drink steadily would do way more to alleviate that than the current nonsense. 

There wouldn't have been the scrap that happened in the JRS queue either if they were serving a steady stream for 3 or 4 hours rather than a scrum for 20 minutes....  

The implication being that people would stop doing the things they do today and instead have a couple of mid-game pints. I am not sure that's true, I think people would drink pretty much as they do with an additional pint or three during the game.

Not to say one way or the other that it is a reason to ban it, just don't think people will change that much.

Archived