MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Weird then that the one player we have on the books (Vaughan) who keeps the ball better than anyone else has yet to play a minute of football,

Vaughan was stripped and about to come on after 80 mins and then we concede two in four minutes and on comes McGahey instead…

Really enjoyed it yesterday. I don't think we played great. I thought we respected Dorking far too much and let them boss midfield. However, a win is a win. The atmosphere was superb, yet again. I watch a fair bit of English football. The vast majority of supporters at other clubs have a sing song every now and then. It's very rare you'll find a group of supporters who sing throughout. Also loved the feeling I had walking out of the ground and into Royton with loads of other supporters. Felt so good. I LOVE THIS CLUB OF OURS. Cya Tuesday!

54 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Vaughan was stripped and about to come on after 80 mins and then we concede two in four minutes and on comes McGahey instead…

We conceded on 82 and 86 and were under constant pressure because Burgess, Tollit and Stobbs were incapable of retaining possession, once Cooper started to tire after 75 minutes or so we literally had nothing in the centre of the park, we could of taken any of those three off for McGahey earlier and pushed Sheron further forward to plug the gap.

Fondop and Luamba did nothing to take the pressure off and both gave the ball away cheaply at times, personally I would have kept Hope on and strengthened the centre of midfield, surely everyone in the stadium could see what was happening? Well other than Shez and Tommy Wright.

Despite all that if we had Gardner in there yesterday I think we win the game more comfortably. 

Tollit is going to need to improve when we are off the ball. He was decent on the ball and looks positive and happy to move and pass forward, but he was a big part of Dorking running through or midfield. Maybe the heat was getting to him, but he was constantly to far from the opposition. Not attempting to close until they had received the ball and turned towards him. They passed around him or went past him with ease.

Multiple times he just gave up and signalled to the overrun Cooper that it was his job to chase them!

Hopefully he can start taking responsibility and refuse to be beat, oh and taking 2 strides closer when marking someone, because he could become a real player.

34 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Tollit is going to need to improve when we are off the ball. He was decent on the ball and looks positive and happy to move and pass forward, but he was a big part of Dorking running through or midfield. Maybe the heat was getting to him, but he was constantly to far from the opposition. Not attempting to close until they had received the ball and turned towards him. They passed around him or went past him with ease.

Multiple times he just gave up and signalled to the overrun Cooper that it was his job to chase them!

Hopefully he can start taking responsibility and refuse to be beat, oh and taking 2 strides closer when marking someone, because he could become a real player.

Burgess in the same mould at times.

7 hours ago, Lags said:

...Their wing backs could press on at will at times and indeed it was their lad down the left that brought good saves out of Norman. In fact I think he's worth our scouts keeping an eye on...

I think that would be a waste of time because he will most probably have bigger clubs than Latics keeping an eye on him, now he is playing in a higher league. A very good player in the making and a possible windfall for Dorking.

I was quite surprised by how we set up yesterday. On paper it looked like a pretty standard 442 but actually was more 532. Stobbs was rwb with clarke tucked in tight. Tollitt given a more free role as an attacking mid. Whilst I think this helped us get bodies forward (especially on the break), it did leave us more open defensively. It's an awful lot of work for 3 midfielders to get through, especially when they had to back up stobbs and angol as well. Dorking did well to move the ball around and stretch those 3 and that's where the gaps appeared. Ideally one of the strikers would drop back into a wide midfield position to allow it to be more 541 out of possession. I think a lack of pace upfront and the hot conditions probably led to us compromising defensively in order to pose more of a threat. Hopefully with Gardner to come back in the midfield would have a bit more energy and tenacity. If its the plan going forwards (I've only seen 1 game) we'll get more accustomed to it and hopefully should look stronger defensively as we get going. 4 points from 2 games is a solid start, I still think shez might not be the best option going forward but I can't grumble at the results so far. Win Tuesday and it becomes a good start and should hopefully build more momentum....

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

What are you basing this on?  The win yesterday and decent performance at Torquay?

The fact that he’s not the manager he was and he’s more suited to teams that need to scrap for survival as opposed to playing positive football to get the wins needed to be challenging.

4 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

The fact that he’s not the manager he was and he’s more suited to teams that need to scrap for survival as opposed to playing positive football to get the wins needed to be challenging.

I would think managers get better with experience, not sure if that is strictly true though. Sheridan has his own players in and will probably be dipping into the loan market. Surely we have to wait and see? I don't expect the team to gain promotion this season and will be quite happy if they are not looking over their shoulders for a change, however, any flirtation with the upper reaches and playoffs would be a welcome bonus in addition to the stability the Rothwell's are setting out to achieve.

30 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I would think managers get better with experience, not sure if that is strictly true though. Sheridan has his own players in and will probably be dipping into the loan market. Surely we have to wait and see? I don't expect the team to gain promotion this season and will be quite happy if they are not looking over their shoulders for a change, however, any flirtation with the upper reaches and playoffs would be a welcome bonus in addition to the stability the Rothwell's are setting out to achieve.

I suspect the Rothwells will have expectations that differ from what us fans have become accustomed to, I expect us to go for promotion otherwise what's the point? It is possible to stabilise the club and be ambitious at the same time and you could even argue that this may well be our best chance.

Without playing very well we are joint top after 2 games and despite that I've seen nothing yet which tells me we shouldn't be going all out for promotion. 

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

Give him a chance, eh?  We're a different club to the one last season.  It's a clean state.

Taking any sentimentality towards Shez out of it, 4 points from the opening two games isn't a bad return regardless of who the manager is.

10 hours ago, Oafc88 said:

I believe the no beer in sight of the pitch rule applies to tiers 1-5. National League North/South and down you can.

I saw a few with beers  sat down  yesterday.

20 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Looked like they bossed the last 20 minutes when we couldn't get the ball off them...

Agreed, and a fair bit of the first half after we went 1 up. Norman's two saves low down were outstanding - not just getting his hand to the ball but pushing it out of danger each time.

I think a telling part was the commentary from BT during game with Adam Virgo saying something along the lines of that we're not good enough at the moment to challenge for promotion. Signings with a bit of pace, power and guile sorely needed.

6 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I think a telling part was the commentary from BT during game with Adam Virgo saying something along the lines of that we're not good enough at the moment to challenge for promotion. Signings with a bit of pace, power and guile sorely needed.

Hopefully we can get the right loans in, because we ain't good enough with what we have 

18 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Really enjoyed it yesterday. I don't think we played great. I thought we respected Dorking far too much and let them boss midfield. However, a win is a win. The atmosphere was superb, yet again. I watch a fair bit of English football. The vast majority of supporters at other clubs have a sing song every now and then. It's very rare you'll find a group of supporters who sing throughout. Also loved the feeling I had walking out of the ground and into Royton with loads of other supporters. Felt so good. I LOVE THIS CLUB OF OURS. Cya Tuesday!

So good to read a post like this after the bleak years under ALMOBO.

Archived