MATCH: vs Dorking Wanderers (H) 13/08/22

Anyone who witnessed the parade, watched the game and felt the atmosphere all round BP has plenty of reasons to be cheerful tonight.

Last 10 minutes I did have my head firmly in hands, thinking how can we throwing away a comfortable three nil win.

We won, we keep moving forward.

Thank you Frank, for everything.

A few players stood out today.

Last season I admired the consistency and battling spirit from Pidge (left under a cloud which was dissapointing). Having seen Hogan put in a solid performance today, we have found a better centre back and a genuine leader.

Also impressed by Tollitt, Sheron and Norman.

Watched Chris Porter closely, some say a poor signing whose legs have gone. I didn't see that, Chris was effective, winning headers, flicks, much smarter than their defenders.

Pairing Porter with a more mobile runner is surely the aim, the obvious candidate (to try) is Harry Vaughan?

Quite pleased to still have Mike Fondop with us, he is a problem for defenders, showed some nice touches today.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a bit of thought the catering side of things could be a much slicker, money spinner for the club. The JF stand really isn't set up for a large thirsty crowd, granted today may be a peak attendance this season but still it needs a re think. I'm not an expert in these things but I'm sure there are people who could help. 

A thoroughly enjoyable day at Boundary Park today the sun shined the band played an7d the new era began with what was the biggest attendance in the national league today and one which was bigger than the majority of league 1 and 2.

We scored 3 goals and won. I was slightly dissapointed with the midfield as I don't think they fully grabbed hold of the game even at 3-0 we gave them abit too much of the ball and too much time on it. We need to work on pressing, possession and game management thats why they got back into the game. That said I was quite impressed with Tollit but I feel he's someone who has good moments and a number of quiet moments over 90 minutes, but still a goal and an assist on his home debut should represent a good day for him. Hallam Hope and Chris Porter both took their goals well too. I get the impression that Dorking will be good value if you want to bet on over 1.5 goals or both teams to score they play the game in the right way and will score and concede in equal measure they will probably compete well at this level.

The whole club is in a transitional phase and the team is a work in progress. So it's no surprise their were imperfections in our performance. Finally The atmosphere today was top drawer after years of underachievement and nothing to shout about Im amazed that we have so many young fans with so much passion for the club. That was one best atmospheres for a home league game I can remember in a long time.

Hey did you see the United score HAHAHAHA! Excellent shithousery Frank.

Have to say I was slightly dissapointed we didn't do a minutes applause today for Andy Goram not sure why he's a club legend he deserves it.

Big shout out to the guy on the concourse of the North stand on the JF stand side who was running it on his own due to staff shortages today he's earned his money definitely. The fan bar looks like it's bigger than anticipated however I hope they get the decorators in this week and get it fully furnished as if done properly it could be really good in there.

We are no longer a circus we are a football club again and it feels great! 

Fantastic day. A real tear in my eye at times.

Luckily we came up against a side who couldn't defend despite them playing in the right way. Dorking had a real good go and deserved a clap from the JRS at the end.

Surprised no one has commented on the set up today. Baffling to set up with two up front, two AMs (Tollitt and Burgess) and two wing backs. Left the midfield wide open and Cooper to cover the whole middle of the pitch himself. To the point where it looked like we were playing with 10 men at times. Fairly clear Gardner will be the key as without him, we were forced to pump it long.

No way can we play with both Tollitt and Burgess at the same time.

I think those two late goals could end up being a positive for us. Could well be the wake up call we need to realise this division isn't going to be a walkover.

Couple of loans in and we'll be just fine i'm sure.

Joint top after two and a real feel good factor... It's going to be a fun season whatever happens.

Was quite emotional seeing BP looking like that on tv after all these years of shite. 

We were hit and miss today but were still comfortable until we stood off Taylor twice. Once was bad enough but twice was criminal. 

3 points though and we don’t often get to see that this early in a season. Bring on the raider…

2 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Thanks god Shez brought McGahey on at the end, he headed one away to stop a sure fire equaliser. I don’t Shez isn’t having him but playing a midfielder in his place doesn’t sit well with me.

This. I would play McGahey on Tuesday and play Sheron in midfield in place of Cooper and Gardner back for Burgess.

16 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Haven't really got much to add to what others have said, an absolutely brilliant day and atmosphere. Liam Hogan is fantastic, a nailed on Latics cult hero in the Peter Clarke mould already. Actually thought Dorking were a decent side who knocked it about quite well. Reckon they'll do alright this season

Agree with you think we have played two decent teams already. Suppose the acid test will be the favourites Wrexham , but the pre season favourites have never won this league.

39 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This. I would play McGahey on Tuesday and play Sheron in midfield in place of Cooper and Gardner back for Burgess.

We need Cooper, did nothing wrong other than tiring last 15, he was doing the work of 3, having Cooper in there will allow Gardner to play on Tuesday night, Tollit and Burgess only show glimpses but I'd rather Burgess over Stobbs at the minute.

Enjoyed the atmosphere  ,  great to see a wide range of ages in the ground, and at last we have a proper community feel back to the club.

Our first 2 goals very well taken, shows you if you have goal scorers in any league, it doesn't matter how much possession you have.

Having said that, you need to have another defensive mid in with Cooper, and a right winger would be asset.

For a first home game, in ridiculous temperatures, and 16 days into the new owners reign, not a bad start.

And I got a picture of Joe Royle under the canopy of the JRS.

Let keep some of that enthusiasm for Tuesday

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Three loan signings in this week apparently

if we have the funds then we need to “invest” like Peterborough.  Sign promising players with resale value to strengthen the squad now & coffers later.  Bobby-Joe Taylor is one example 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Like Hogan though...

It's not unacceptable. FFS. It's the start of a work in progress. It's going to take years. We won. It's going to take time. 

However, I agree. Hogan is a fantastic captain/leader/winner. I really like the guy. Just what we need. He gave Tollitt an absolute mouthful for the mis-placed pass. He's a proper captain.

50 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

if we have the funds then we need to “invest” like Peterborough.  Sign promising players with resale value to strengthen the squad now & coffers later.  Bobby-Joe Taylor is one example 

He's 27 and has been playing in the National League for ten years... I suspect today's performance was the exception rather than the rule. 

The dismissive tone from some about Dorking is just silly. 

They scored over a 100 goals last season. I don’t care what size club you are, or how big your fan base is- that’s impressive. They came full of confidence and with nothing to lose, and it showed. They have some very tidy players and will trouble a lot of sides this year. 

As for us. 

As expected- 

Stobbs is awful. 

We still don’t know what Hope is. 

Gardner is Key. 

Hogan is a leader. 

Sheron looks decent. 

Clarke is our steady Eddie. 

Porter does nothing- then scores, which will do. 

Shez’s tactics get more bizarre with each passing season. 

Surprises-

Tolitt looks a player. (But drifts in and out of the game) 

Angol is either unfit or can’t be arsed tracking back. 

All in all,

A decent result. A very patchy performance with more negatives than positives.

But, I’ll take that over- we played well and lost any day of the week. 

How good was yesterday then, I thought we played well against a dorking side that wanted to play football bit of squeaky bum time towards the end but on the whole we deserved our win, watching the match back again now with a brew nice to see a bumper crowd back at Boundary Park roll on Tuesday 

Every Sheridan post match interview contains the comments 'we have to take care of the ball better', which is just what he used to do. What a pity we don't have someone of his quality just to hold centre midfield, Gardner should do it at this level, if not get your boots out Shez.

25 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Every Sheridan post match interview contains the comments 'we have to take care of the ball better', which is just what he used to do. What a pity we don't have someone of his quality just to hold centre midfield, Gardner should do it at this level, if not get your boots out Shez.

This.

- bring the ball under control when it’s played in to you
- pass the ball to a teammate

- find a team mate with a clearance when under little pressure 

I have never played at any level beyond college football, but I cannot understand how these basic skills seem lacking in so many footballers 🤔

53 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This.

I have never played at any level beyond college football, but I cannot understand how these basic skills seem lacking in so many footballers 🤔

Weird then that the one player we have on the books (Vaughan) who keeps the ball better than anyone else has yet to play a minute of football, Gardner was a massive miss yesterday yet we replaced him with a lad who has ability running at defences but offers little else in the centre of the park, patently obvious what was needed yesterday but for some reason the answer always seems to be revert to a 7-1-2 system and hope for the best in the last 10 minutes, there's a reason Shez' teams concede late goals in games they dominate, we invite pressure, sit further and further back, we end up with that many bodies dropping in that nobody takes responsibility, you can almost sense what's going to happen so the players obviously feel it too.

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This.

Because football is still a sport that requires physical fitness and often a physical presence. 

Fane struggled with all 3 of those, especially if there was no team mate within 5 yards, yet some people still rave about him on social media. Because he could run all game and is 6ft4. 

Archived