Next Manager

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, LaticMark said:

"Former Latics player and manager Dean Holden has also been linked with a return to Boundary Park" according to Suzanne Geldard in The Oldham Times.

NO NO NO - PLEASE - utterly useless.

(sorry just caught up with the thread - Unsworth will be okay IF he is given enough time AND sufficient backing. Hopefully build a team around promising youngsters rather than "past it" cart horses like Porter).

Unsworth is fine with me. Bags of coaching experience. He'll really want to prove himself, especially given his age. He's not a totally inexperienced young manager or an older coach who is a bit long in the tooth and might be lacking in motivation.

I've just had a look at the very long list of betting odds. I hadn't thought about Michael Carrick. Could've been an interesting one. 

9 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Unsworth is fine with me. Bags of coaching experience. He'll really want to prove himself, especially given his age. He's not a totally inexperienced young manager or an older coach who is a bit long in the tooth and might be lacking in motivation.

I've just had a look at the very long list of betting odds. I hadn't thought about Michael Carrick. Could've been an interesting one. 

Bookies just make as long a list as possible to entice unwary punters. It's doubtful 95% of those listed would be interested at all but would agree Carrick may have been intriguing.

Can't say it's a massively exciting appointment. But equally, he's got the kind of credentials we should be looking at if we're taking a punt.

It was right for Shez to step aside. We knew what he was about and I'm not sure time was going to make a difference. With Unsworth, any massive fuck ups aside, he needs to be given this season and next and a bit of time to make his stamp.

Ideally he can get us in and around it this year and into next season on an upward trajectory. Still early days this season and it's not over but I'll take progress at this stage.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

Can't say it's a massively exciting appointment. But equally, he's got the kind of credentials we should be looking at if we're taking a punt.

It was right for Shez to step aside. We knew what he was about and I'm not sure time was going to make a difference. With Unsworth, any massive fuck ups aside, he needs to be given this season and next and a bit of time to make his stamp.

Ideally he can get us in and around it this year and into next season on an upward trajectory. Still early days this season and it's not over but I'll take progress at this stage.

We should be in and around the playoffs in this league. But I’d take a top half finish for the first time in years. 

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

I presume he'll want to bring in his own number 2, so is it goodbye to Tommy Wright as well?

Phil Jevons might be one he'd consider, ex Everton u23s coach who's out of work I think. he also played in non league at Hyde and Stockport so will know that scenario.

Be disappointed with unsworth or anyone who hasn’t managed before. It’s a decent opportunity and therefore we should be picking someone who has shown they can do it rather than chance it on someone totally unproven which is just a massive risk as can go either way. 

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Be disappointed with unsworth or anyone who hasn’t managed before. It’s a decent opportunity and therefore we should be picking someone who has shown they can do it rather than chance it on someone totally unproven which is just a massive risk as can go either way. 

Believe that the same thing could about somebody who is now the greatest manager in the Clubs history

3 hours ago, Careca9 said:

The most decent managers we have had were in their first job

Frizell

Royle

Sheridan

Johnson

I'd even include Kewell 

47 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Unsworth and John Ebbrell...

Will both be sacked same time next year. Proper jobs for the boys and two people who have absolutely no experience at this level.

Shame because that's next season written off as well. Promotion for 2024/25 hopefully, if our board fancy it that is.

Archived