Next Manager

Who do we want and why?

It sounds like David Unsworth is the current frontrunner but many seem unsure as to whether he can be the man to lead us to success.

Jonathan Greening at Scarborough is doing very well and you'd think he would also be worth considering. 

This is a huge decision.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Who do we want and why?

It sounds like David Unsworth is the current frontrunner but many seem unsure as to whether he can be the man to lead us to success.

Jonathan Greening at Scarborough is doing very well and you'd think he would also be worth considering. 

This is a huge decision.

Greening is a good shout. Had a little bit more money than a lot of that league but nowhere near as much as Shields and Buxton who they beat to go up. Could  do worse.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Bunn returned. He left the club in a good position [I think it was in or around the playoffs] and a decent cup run. Probably not a popular choice and unknown how he would cope in this league and with these players. As already said, this is a big moment for the new owners.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if Bunn returned. He left the club in a good position [I think it was in or around the playoffs] and a decent cup run. Probably not a popular choice and unknown how he would cope in this league and with these players. As already said, this is a big moment for the new owners.

Bunn and T.P would bring some much needed stability 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

No brainer

Sean Dyche and we're going up

😄

2 hours ago, LaticsLen said:

Dean Holden 

Erm...thanks but no thanks.

1 hour ago, astottie said:

Greening is a good shout. Had a little bit more money than a lot of that league but nowhere near as much as Shields and Buxton who they beat to go up. Could  do worse.

Interesting idea, someone with a bit of non-league success would make sense although it would be a big call for Frank and co. to make as their first appointment.

2 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I trust the Royles' judgement, but please not David Unsworth. I'm sure he's great at coaching kids in Everton's academy, but that's a universe away from what we need in the National League. 

I wouldn't be completely against Unsworth and I think he'd get time and backing from the board (i.e. Joe), but I wouldn't be that excited by him being appointed.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Simon Weaver

Great record but no chance of us getting him due to having to drop down a level and his dad being owner of Harrogate.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Of all the ex-players or managers that we could hire, Bunn would be an OK choice.  With his eye for talented youngsters on loan and from academies (Iverson, Surridge, Lang for example) I think if we gave him until the end of 23/24 he'd steadily build us into a playoff side with a decent chance of going up.  I think that, similar to Unsworth, we should probably be looking for someone who understands success in the National League (or non-league) ahead of a sentimental choice.  That being said...

1 hour ago, JohnG123 said:

I would do everything the club can to get Pete Wild back.

He loves the club . Knows this league and am sure in time could get us back in the EFL.

whoever we get we need stability. This really is a massive decision for the football club.

...if we managed to get Wild back it would be a huge statement of intent by the Rothwell's and he'd the perfect choice.  Very unlikely at present though.

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Like to see us move away from managers that have to have some `connection' with the club as it seems to override their actual managing ability.

Despite really wanting Shez to succeed and it would've been great if he did, I'm inclined to agree that substance is more important right now than sentiment.

That said, would you be disappointed if Wild was announced?

2 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I trust the Royles' judgement, but please not David Unsworth. I'm sure he's great at coaching kids in Everton's academy, but that's a universe away from what we need in the National League. 

He's actually managed in the Premier league.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Me too, he’d be ok 👍👍

I think we all knew that Shez wasn't the answer long term but what I don't understand is why they didn't do this immediately after taking over. As I pointed out on another thread several weeks ago, a lot of people were aware that conversations had taken place with Unsworth and if we were aware then i'm sure Shez and the players were too. That can't have helped the performances over the early part of the season and it seems we have wasted nearly a quarter of the season. Let's hope this appointment is the right one and we stick with a manager now for at least 2 seasons because I believe it's the only way to progress.

Is Unsworth the right choice?

It was reported that he left Everton in April this year in order to find a job as manager. He was publicly linked with the Blackburn job, but obviously didn't get it. His experience as a player, coach and caretaker manager is in the Premier League and Championship. I wonder how much he knows about players in League 2 and the National League?

Is he the dynamic, young manager we are looking for?

Archived