Next Manager

25 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I think we all knew that Shez wasn't the answer long term but what I don't understand is why they didn't do this immediately after taking over. As I pointed out on another thread several weeks ago, a lot of people were aware that conversations had taken place with Unsworth and if we were aware then i'm sure Shez and the players were too. That can't have helped the performances over the early part of the season and it seems we have wasted nearly a quarter of the season. Let's hope this appointment is the right one and we stick with a manager now for at least 2 seasons because I believe it's the only way to progress.

If results are poor the same thing that happened to Shez will happen to Unsworth. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Farkas89 said:

I've heard he's also managed in Europe, not sure how true this is though. Id personally take him but Wilde is perfect but highly unlikely 

Hasn't our Pete recently signed a new contract at Barrow? I'm sure he'll manage us again one day, but not just yet. 

11 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

"Former Latics player and manager Dean Holden has also been linked with a return to Boundary Park" according to Suzanne Geldard in The Oldham Times.

Please no, can we have a break from ex players and mates of Joe Royle please, we need a fresh start.

Holden was a disaster when Lee Johnson left, he probably talks a good game but he's not for me, we need someone young, dynamic and more importantly experienced at the level we are now punching at, Williamson at Gateshead fits the bill as does Greening who I wasn't aware of until he'd been mentioned on here, serial losers like Hill, Holden and the like can get to fuck for me.

Is he coming in because he's a mate of Joe, or is he coming in because Joe rates him and he happens to be his mate?

From what I've read, he seemed to do ok with the Everton u21's initially but then it went a bit flat and when Everton appointed their new DOF, it didn't take him long to get rid of Unsworth(and then Ferguson).

He might have an eye for a few decent loans I suppose, provided he can convince them to drop this low down.

7 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Is he coming in because he's a mate of Joe, or is he coming in because Joe rates him and he happens to be his mate?

From what I've read, he seemed to do ok with the Everton u21's initially but then it went a bit flat and when Everton appointed their new DOF, it didn't take him long to get rid of Unsworth(and then Ferguson).

He might have an eye for a few decent loans I suppose, provided he can convince them to drop this low down.

It has a bit of a jobs for the boys feel to it in my opinion.

I'm OK with Unsworth.

First job as a number 1 I'm sure he will have a more up to date approach.

We need to build a team from the back in my view, so a good defender, which he was, should know how to coach this. 

If he can steady the ship this season by making us hard to beat, get us playing a system that the current squad and a few new faces can actually understand and implement, and bring though some of our own youth I'd be satisfied.  

Get the basics right with a bit of sparkle and you never know what might happen for the rest of the season.

WelshGaz said on the previous page Keith Hill told him last night it's Unsworth, presume word gets round in football circles.

Read an article in The Athletic this morning, written in April just after he left Everton, one paragraph opened "For some Unsworths methods were seen as increasingly old school reflecting a bygone time"

Could reflect the writers enmity to him or could be objective, if it is him we'll soon know.

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Like our former manager and ex England international Keith Curle!😂

Fair point....but Curle has managed for 20 years and is in the dinosaur catagory in my view. He's also older than Shez which is surprising! I'd hope Unsworth has a bit more enthusiasm and more up to date coaching methods being 10 years younger and working with U22/23s...

7 minutes ago, Inspectormorose. said:

WelshGaz said on the previous page Keith Hill told him last night it's Unsworth, presume word gets round in football circles.

Read an article in The Athletic this morning, written in April just after he left Everton, one paragraph opened "For some Unsworths methods were seen as increasingly old school reflecting a bygone time"

Could reflect the writers enmity to him or could be objective, if it is him we'll soon know.

Indeed we will....

Archived