Next Manager

2 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Will both be sacked same time next year. Proper jobs for the boys and two people who have absolutely no experience at this level.

Shame because that's next season written off as well. Promotion for 2024/25 hopefully, if our board fancy it that is.

Wow! 
Can’t we just wait and see? Can’t we just give the new guy a chance?

There are some on here who desperately want to be the first to predict something, so that “same time next year “ they can say I told you so if history works out in that direction. It’s unlikely we will get an apology if it actually works out well.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Simple fact is that no board user has a valid opinion on whether he will be a good appointment. The days of waiting and seeing are generally behind us. 

Exactly! Surely a valid opinion can only develop when there is something to assess and validate. 

If we get someone new to this level of management, surely we have to wait and see. For some, one week will be long enough!

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Simple fact is that no board user has a valid opinion on whether he will be a good appointment. The days of waiting and seeing are generally behind us. 

I’ll wait and see.

Hopefully Unsworth will bring in a couple of decent loanees from the Everton Academy.

And I hope that he adopts a ‘shape up or ship out’ approach to some of the squad. You know who you are…

24 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Exactly! Surely a valid opinion can only develop when there is something to assess and validate. 

If we get someone new to this level of management, surely we have to wait and see. For some, one week will be long enough!

The curse of the modern age.... : 'I'm entitled to my opinion!!!'. The ability to differentiate between valid opinion and random guess is limited. 

GKing521, You’re getting boring now!

There are no guarantees whoever comes in will be successful and the club have said building up the academy and producing home grown players is key to our future.

Pete Wild was youth team coach and had no experience with the 1st team until he got an unexpected opportunity and look at him now!!

Joe Royle was also a complete rookie and look what he achieved in his time here!!

Joe will obviously know these guys very well, will know their capabilities and if they fail it will be down to him. He’s in an advisory role now and so him simply bringing in ‘jobs for the boys’ as you so put it would not really help our cause…..Unsworth and Ebbrell have been overseeing a successful Premiership football academy for several years and their contacts and knowledge could prove invaluable.

Whoever comes in isn’t likely to have instant success with this lot so we will just have to be patient. 

There's nothing surer at Oldham or 95% of clubs for that matter than saying a manager is going to fail at some stage, it's almost inevitable, creaming yourself over it before the appointment has even been made takes a different kind of special, it's a fresh start and will take time, I'd still be happy with top 10, ecstatic if we could sneak 7th but most importantly we need to see progress and replacing Shez could offer that.

What struck me at the club yesterday is the size of the boardroom, there must of been 50 in there, at some stage they need to come up with a plan and a vision for the club, it's all a bit jolly day out at the moment and at some stage the football needs to take precedence, hopefully it's being built on a firm foundation, for the first time this will be Frank's club from top to bottom, no excuses now and they need to back their man accordingly. 

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

There's nothing surer at Oldham or 95% of clubs for that matter than saying a manager is going to fail at some stage, it's almost inevitable, creaming yourself over it before the appointment has even been made takes a different kind of special, it's a fresh start and will take time, I'd still be happy with top 10, ecstatic if we could sneak 7th but most importantly we need to see progress and replacing Shez could offer that.

What struck me at the club yesterday is the size of the boardroom, there must of been 50 in there, at some stage they need to come up with a plan and a vision for the club, it's all a bit jolly day out at the moment and at some stage the football needs to take precedence, hopefully it's being built on a firm foundation, for the first time this will be Frank's club from top to bottom, no excuses now and they need to back their man accordingly. 

By this time in Abdallahs reign there were people on here (you know who you are) seething over no 5 year plan in full details

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

By this time in Abdallahs reign there were people on here (you know who you are) seething over no 5 year plan in full details

The two situations aren’t even comparable in the slightest.  

27 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Abdallah never even had a Board in his first year at the club let alone a plan. 

This Board has been in place less than two months and two Directors only appointed officially in last fortnight.     

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The curse of the modern age.... : 'I'm entitled to my opinion!!!'. The ability to differentiate between valid opinion and random guess is limited. 

Correct.

The best response is, "Yes, of course you are entitled to your WRONG opinion."

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

GKing521, You’re getting boring now!

There are no guarantees whoever comes in will be successful and the club have said building up the academy and producing home grown players is key to our future.

Pete Wild was youth team coach and had no experience with the 1st team until he got an unexpected opportunity and look at him now!!

Joe Royle was also a complete rookie and look what he achieved in his time here!!

Joe will obviously know these guys very well, will know their capabilities and if they fail it will be down to him. He’s in an advisory role now and so him simply bringing in ‘jobs for the boys’ as you so put it would not really help our cause…..Unsworth and Ebbrell have been overseeing a successful Premiership football academy for several years and their contacts and knowledge could prove invaluable.

Whoever comes in isn’t likely to have instant success with this lot so we will just have to be patient. 

Quite right. I remember when, if you avoided relegation, you'd judge a manager at the end of his second or even third season, not second or third month. 

We need a lot of work. I reckon a gk, rb, cb, cm, quality wide player and a pacy goal scorer. One keeper can go, so can Clarke, McGahey, Maynard (where is he...he's over the hill), Stobbs and Fondop. Not sure about Cooper. I'd keep 3-4 of the loan signings, but I'd prefer to have them for a full season. This is just for starters. Players have let us/John/themselves down. It's a mess and it's going to take time.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Completely different as you well know, which is why most fans on here are giving some time.

When Abdullah took over he had already been shadowing for a season and had brought in some of his players.  He inherited an admin structure and behind the scenes team which he was starting to dismantle. He was already interfering with the playing staff and banishing some from playing. 

If early on People were asking to know what ALs plan was, fair enough. Now we can already see the rebuilding of the skill base and experienced personnel who can run the club being brought in.  I’m happy to wait for them to assess the priorities and the way forward and inform us of the plan once it is completed.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Completely different as you well know, which is why most fans on here are giving some time.

When Abdullah took over he had already been shadowing for a season and had brought in some of his players.  He inherited an admin structure and behind the scenes team which he was starting to dismantle. He was already interfering with the playing staff and banishing some from playing. 

If early on People were asking to know what ALs plan was, fair enough. Now we can already see the rebuilding of the skill base and experienced personnel who can run the club being brought in.  I’m happy to wait for them to assess the priorities and the way forward and inform us of the plan once it is completed.

Don't be talking sense on here 

8 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Will both be sacked same time next year. Proper jobs for the boys and two people who have absolutely no experience at this level.

Shame because that's next season written off as well. Promotion for 2024/25 hopefully, if our board fancy it that is.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I can understand where you are coming from without actually agreeing with you. It's ingrained in us to be pessimistic about absolutely everything these days, so it's no surprise to read comments such as this.

We can't say we want Royle to use his contacts within the game to bring in players and then say "jobs for the boys" if he uses those contacts to help bring in a new management structure. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's a gamble, if it is Unsworth and his team, he will have to try and get a better tune out of the players already here and somehow unload them if they are surplus to requirements. Not an easy task on either count. If he is successful, he could be the man to get Oldham back into the league and maybe the momentum to go through League Two, as other teams have done.

There are many variables which could come into the equation for success - defined, in our case, as promotion back to the league - I am keeping my fingers crossed for something better and structurally sound than we have had, as fans, in a long time.

14 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Absolutely. 

Also worth pointing out that one of the main things AL did when taking over was to invest a lot of his personal wealth solely on the playing budget. Which is what some people suggest the Rothwells should be doing. 

Unfortunately he had no plan for how he was going to sustain that level of expenditure other than the blind hope we’d start winning games and get promoted. 

Archived