National League Thread

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Fixtures have gone well for us today.

Really need a result on Tuesday. 

When do we ever not need a result?
Ebbsfleet, our new major nemesis, drew 2-2 at Chesterfield today.

Not at our best by any means, too many misplaced passes and poor set pieces. Having said that Ebbsfleet were far better than their position suggests. They were quick on the break and if it wasn’t for Tyrer, who made two excellent saves and Grimes cleared off the line we may have lost. Credit to ‘fleet but we just didn’t play well and final pass was poor. 

Above is a quote from the BBC comments page on the game. I know Chesterfield are well ahead of the rest of the league but that comment seems quite familiar. :D 

6 hours ago, Wardie said:

Ebbsfleet, our new major nemesis, drew 2-2 at Chesterfield today.

Above is a quote from the BBC comments page on the game. I know Chesterfield are well ahead of the rest of the league but that comment seems quite familiar. :D 

Sometimes you can only play as well as you are allowed to play especially if you have a few players not at it 100%.

15 hours ago, Wardie said:

At the start of the season - when a bad result doesn’t mean you can’t catch up. 

Towards the end of the season in dead games with nothing to play for. 

It will be a real disappointment if we slip away after catching up. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

At the start of the season - when a bad result doesn’t mean you can’t catch up. 
Towards the end of the season in dead games with nothing to play for. 

It will be a real disappointment if we slip away after catching up. 

I was thinking more of the supporters' morale rather than league standing. I agree, if we slip away now, it will be frustrating to say the least. Currently, I have no confidence the Latics will finish in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I was thinking more of the supporters' morale rather than league standing. I agree, if we slip away now, it will be frustrating to say the least. Currently, I have no confidence the Latics will finish in the playoffs.

Ah, with you. Yeah, totally agree in that sense.

Honestly, IF this manager and group of players finish outside of the playoffs - to a man they should walk away and never return. It would be a huge disappointment if that was the case.

I watched Altrincham v Dale yesterday and the standard (barring Conn-Clarke) was fucking dire, Dale should of been one or two up after 20 minutes but failed to take their chances and were ultimately punished for not converting, they played an high press which Altrincham couldn't deal with early on. 

This League is piss poor after Chesterfield and I include us in that but the options Mellon has now and the money he's been given should see us in the playoffs easily, I read a lot on here about how great he is, it's about time we started to see it from the top paid manager in the division.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I read a lot on here about how great he is, it's about time we started to see it from the top paid manager in the division.

Yep, I’ve been disappointed with the lack of progress on the pitch. We are still laboured and pedestrian in our play and I’m hoping the new signings will improve us sufficiently when they are all up to speed.

Has it been confirmed Norwood is out until April as I haven’t seen anything in the media?

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Yep, I’ve been disappointed with the lack of progress on the pitch. We are still laboured and pedestrian in our play and I’m hoping the new signings will improve us sufficiently when they are all up to speed.

Has it been confirmed Norwood is out until April as I haven’t seen anything in the media?

I’ve seen him pictured on social media 2 days running on a bike in the gym. I’m no medical expert but I would imagine a significant hamstring tear would prevent him being able to do that, no? Or is that wishful thinking? Oldham Times reported 6-8 weeks, but also seen someone mention 2-3 weeks which is hopefully correct.

I'd hate for us to bring him back too quickly and him potentially breakdown again or be playing at 60-70% of what he was. Not saying that's going to happen I'm no physiotherapist or doctor but you see it happen when the team's talisman gets injured and they try to rush him back too quickly and it back fires.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Honestly, IF this manager and group of players finish outside of the playoffs - to a man they should walk away and never return. It would be a huge disappointment if that was the case.

I watched Altrincham v Dale yesterday and the standard (barring Conn-Clarke) was fucking dire, Dale should of been one or two up after 20 minutes but failed to take their chances and were ultimately punished for not converting, they played an high press which Altrincham couldn't deal with early on. 

This League is piss poor after Chesterfield and I include us in that but the options Mellon has now and the money he's been given should see us in the playoffs easily, I read a lot on here about how great he is, it's about time we started to see it from the top paid manager in the division.

How did we end up with lundstram. we should have been in for conn Clarke 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

A lad who won all 3 player of the year awards last year. There's a player there

Never taking anything away from him winning those awards. But it always seemed weird to me that a midfielder who played 46 games, but got 0 goals and 3 assists, won player of the season...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Never taking anything away from him winning those awards. But it always seemed weird to me that a midfielder who played 46 games, but got 0 goals and 3 assists, won player of the season...

Their fans must love a runner. He must have done loads of that ha

17 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Their fans must love a runner. He must have done loads of that ha

Always busy on the ball but does absolutely fu** all with it and usually ends up with a backwards pass from roughly the place he started.
Not the player I expected and IMO if he is to have a future here he needs to improve dramatically!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Always busy on the ball but does absolutely fu** all with it and usually ends up with a backwards pass from roughly the place he started.
Not the player I expected and IMO if he is to have a future here he needs to improve dramatically!

One of these days we're going to sign a Darren Sheridan style animal and then our worries - and days of being overwhelmed in midfield - will be over.

It all seems to have gone wrong for Southend since they got them selves sorted out.  They appeared to be in with a chance for a late run at the play-offs despite the points deduction but now they're only out of the drop zone on goal difference, albeit with games in hand.  In the meantime what's happened at Fylde?  Four wins on the bounce and well away from the bottom.  Hopefully they can make it five on Saturday and take points off Barnet

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It all seems to have gone wrong for Southend since they got them selves sorted out.  They appeared to be in with a chance for a late run at the play-offs despite the points deduction but now they're only out of the drop zone on goal difference, albeit with games in hand.  In the meantime what's happened at Fylde?  Four wins on the bounce and well away from the bottom.  Hopefully they can make it five on Saturday and take points off Barnet

It shows the standard between teams in this division is very much of a muchness. Kidderminster with a manager that won them promotion last season looked doomed and cut adrift when we played them. A new, experienced manager in and they've turned a corner and strung three wins from three.

If you look at the bottom four, apart from Oxford City, who certainly appear cut adrift, you really couldn't predict who's going to finish in there by the end of April.

Shithole of a division if you ask me. The novelty of it has worn off very rapidly. It will add to our expectation levels if we don't manage to go up this season.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

One of these days we're going to sign a Darren Sheridan style animal and then our worries - and days of being overwhelmed in midfield - will be over.

We also need a direct runner from central midfield. Lundstram, Hammond and Conlon can't offer that, therein lies the problem.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We also need a direct runner from central midfield. Lundstram, Hammond and Conlon can't offer that, therein lies the problem.

We have one on the books already. 

Sheron is well capable of fulfilling that role if he is allowed to and get someone else to do the more defensive role. He has 4 goals (most of them good goals) from midfield something many of you choose to forget.

When Hammond? missed late on last night it was Sheron who was in the 6yd box waiting.