National League Thread

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It worked against Southend.

Have you all forgotten how bad it was? Terrible results. 7 at the back.1 upfront.and terrible to watch.Players being played out of position  (Sutton).Poor use of subs.

I can take poor entertainment  if we keep winning but last season we got nothing till the end of the season and some of those results were lucky.

I still don't rate Unsworth but I'll support him as long as we keep winning even if the football is shit. Hope I'm wrong but I don't  expect much change next year and I can't believe the amount of backing and support he's had from Frank.

K.T.F.

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wrexham played with a big Number 9 last season in Palmer who they fired balls at for alot of the season and also launched long throws into the box. This is how Phil Parkinson played at Bradford and Bolton and won promotions with them too.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone in North Wales complaining about the lack of entertainment at the racecourse this season. I think Unsworth wants to follow this model certainly when you hear about him trying to find a long throw expert. They also had the likes of Elliot Lee and Paul Mullin who can play abit too.

I don't mind us going direct aslong as its done effectively. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Route 1 football. Ideally of course you want a mix of attacking styles, but Liverpool's first against Leicester last night started with a long ball up the middle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Route 1 football. Ideally of course you want a mix of attacking styles, but Liverpool's first against Leicester last night started with a long ball up the middle.

Correct….as long as you’re not predictable and mix it up accordingly it’s fine!

• Like 1

aye the odd long ball is fine coupled with everything else.

its not ok when three long balls was everything you did all match the odd time you have posession!!

one good thing it did show us was that our forwards were quite deadly  2nd half of the season, bc we werent exactly raining chances down on oppo goals, but still got a decent amount of goals.

36 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Lucky to beat Chesterfield for one.

You name a team we were unlucky to lose to.Gateshead? LOL.

It evens itself out over a season in terms of luck for me. 
Solihull - threw away 2 points, deserved 3.

Bromley - threw away 2 points, deserved 3.

Halifax - we were abysmal, as were they, threw away a point. 
Wrexham - Ok, they were well on top 2nd half, but theres an argument we threw a point away. 
You can’t say we’ve had lucky wins and then say we’ve had no bad luck in our draws/ losses.

I’m sure there’s a fair few more examples were we’ve been lucky, and had bad luck in equal measures. 

Edited by daniel
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Lucky to beat Chesterfield for one.

You name a team we were unlucky to lose to.Gateshead? LOL.

We did lose a lot of points in the last 10 minutes which we shouldn't have done, and we were unlucky at home against Wrexham. Gateshead were totally crap at home. So were Alty. But yes, we folded. 

Having said that, they battered us at their place and totally deserved to stay up (comfortably in the end).  

Rhino is right to focus on defence and organisation first. Make us difficult to beat (over 90+ minutes). It's a basic logical thing to do. Be organised. Be disciplined. Work your bollocks off. Have players with speed, players with physical strength, but all with stamina and mental strength. Then, the big difference with other teams (given many teams in this division tick many of these boxes) is technical ability. Wrexham were better on the physical side, Notts County on the playing side (it almost cost them). Parkinson will be sacked in two years, maximum. His style is strictly League Two or below.

After we get the basics in place, we can start to talk about improving as a football team. Get the foundations in place. I think this is what Rhino was trying to do.

On Rhino, I also think he had a lot to learn when he became manager. Hopefully, he has, to an extent, learnt. That last interview in the OT was much better than his early ones. 

I'll give Rhino a proper chance next season, even though he really frustrated me at times.  It wasn't the easiest scenario to take over. Some expected instant results. That was stupid. 

• Like 4

On 5/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, oafcmetty said:

700 metres according to google maps. I bet you could do it in under 10 minutes.

I might have done 50 years ago.🥴

Edited by BP1960

I've been one of Unsworths biggest critics but I've warmed to him a little, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because I'm hoping we can bring in someone like Bostock at Notts who can control a game for us, Sheron improved considerably back end of the season and Shelton is better than he showed but I still feel we need that player to go through who can dictate the game for us, he's always going to be safety first which I just don't like particularly late in games when it just invites pressure no matter how good you are.

Wrexham aren't great to watch Parkinson wouldn't be my choice of manager if I owned them but he got the job done for them which ultimately is the most important thing.

If we can bring in some quality in midfield we need to start imposing ourselves on teams and bullying them, too often last season we were content at 0-0 or hanging on to slender leads I'd prefer us to just go all out and put games out of reach, towards the back end last season you could see some improvement mainly in ball retention, we worked the ball well at times and I'm sure that will only continue in to next season as we strengthen. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Speaking of which, welcome to the non-league pyramid Route1Rovers. Also, welcome back Droylsden after a restructure.

. . . and congratulations to Bishop's Stortford on their promotion to the National League North!

• Like 1

cant see how they can avoid this type of stuff, can imagine it making some clubs fold 

18 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

. . . and congratulations to Bishop's Stortford on their promotion to the National League North!

Edited by Monty Burns

If you can't see or accept that Unsworth had to pretty much dismantle a plane that wasn't fit for purpose and rebuild it in mid flight then it's a waste of a debate convincing you of it. Yeah sure, it's demeaning and downright depressing to have to rub shoulders with a bunch of southern leisure centres. Embarrassing really, but the level of quality we'll be trying to attract given the time and space to do so (the summer) should give plenty of cause for optimism.

I still expect we'll have a few stinkers next season. It's football, innit and things don't always go swimmingly to plan. Especially when eleven bruisers like Boreham Wood stick themselves behind the ball. Conversely, the quality and dangerous threat that we're likely to pose going forward with the addition of more round pegs in round holes, plus the basic fact as we have the majority of the squad who know each others strengths, gives me confidence we'll dish out a good towelling to teams we struggled to get a second goal against.

A strong start is critical.

• Like 7

On 5/17/2023 at 6:19 PM, Worcester Owl said:

Lol is that for real, R1 Rovers? Never heard of them. Great name! 😆

Old Ham is often joked about, but there's actually a club in Japan called Prima Ham.🥴

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Old Ham is often joked about, but there's actually a club in Japan called Prima Ham.🥴

anything that ends ham usually refers to an old settlement possibly on a hill, so technically Old ham means olde olde settlement on a hill. means weve been here the longest, ergo we are the best.

thats how l respond to the Old ham joke anyway! works best on foreigners, give it a whirl let me know..