BPAS PODCAST: 16th Jan '23, S3:E22: A Bit of a No Show

From five star to wet fart - just another week as an Oldham fan. Join Matt and Andy as they discuss the FA Trophy defeat at home to Gateshead, a performance so bad, that seemly manager David Unsworth was left lost for words. 

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 7am.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 16th Jan '23, S3:E22: A Bit of a No Show
  • Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he didn’t turn up for the interview I thought it meant he was in the changing room telling the players it’s all their fault again. . 

I couldn’t believe it- when Matt said, they were all stood around and Suzanne said his car had gone. . . Then it got even worse when he said Jeffers had gone with him! 

The image/perception of him storming off with Jeffers,  isn’t just bad form for the press pack-  it’s rank bad leadership. The players must be thinking wtf. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When he didn’t turn up for the interview I thought it meant he was in the changing room telling the players it’s all their fault again. . 

I couldn’t believe it- when Matt said, they were all stood around and Suzanne said his car had gone. . . Then it got even worse when he said Jeffers had gone with him! 

The image/perception of him storming off with Jeffers,  isn’t just bad form for the press pack-  it’s rank bad leadership. The players must be thinking wtf. 

😂😂😂 is that what happened? My word...

Another interesting listen.

The manager (and players) being crap doesn't warrant a pitch invasion and probably doesn't even need acknowledging as an idea. 

Not sure Unsworth has any right to be unhappy with the scouting set-up, if that's the case.  He's got the striker he wants AND one he might not have wanted. Is that a reason for to throw his toys out of his pram??

I thought the selection of Couto and Peck on either flank very strange on Saturday, neither were going to give the mighty Gateshead many problems and it smacked of a response to the Colclough deal falling through.

Unsworth behaved oddly on Saturday showing little emotion in anything, pretty much behaved like he did at Altrincham when we didn't muster a shot on target, he does throw his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his own way, you'd think he actually owned the football club the way he behaves and if the story is correct about him sloping off on Saturday before so much as facing up to his media responsibilities then he should be suspended with immediate effect, he isn't bigger than the football club and you'd actually think given his record he'd learn a lesson or two and show a little more humility, not a chance I'm afraid as it still appears to be all about him.

Finally what sort of man flees a sinking ship, what message does it send out to players who are often accused by Unsworth himself of jacking it in in the face of adversity, when the backs are against the wall that's the time for him to step up and earn his money, not get in the car and fuck off home that's how a rat would behave.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I thought the selection of Couto and Peck on either flank very strange on Saturday, neither were going to give the mighty Gateshead many problems and it smacked of a response to the Colclough deal falling through.

Unsworth behaved oddly on Saturday showing little emotion in anything, pretty much behaved like he did at Altrincham when we didn't muster a shot on target, he does throw his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his own way, you'd think he actually owned the football club the way he behaves and if the story is correct about him sloping off on Saturday before so much as facing up to his media responsibilities then he should be suspended with immediate effect, he isn't bigger than the football club and you'd actually think given his record he'd learn a lesson or two and show a little more humility, not a chance I'm afraid as it still appears to be all about him.

Finally what sort of man flees a sinking ship, what message does it send out to players who are often accused by Unsworth himself of jacking it in in the face of adversity, when the backs are against the wall that's the time for him to step up and earn his money, not get in the car and fuck off home that's how a rat would behave.

Yet to meet a rat that can drive and I've had them as pets in the past - very loyal creatures 

Completely agree though, I was cringing listening to that this morning and Ebbrell was totally sideswiped by Matt asking where the so called manager was.  It's just shite behaviour on top of the shite on the pitch, totally unprofessional and smacks of "Premier League Big Bollocks"

At least when David Dunn was an arrogant dick, he had the decency to do it in front of the camera.

Firmly in the "Unsworth out" camp

I think the lads on the podcast are having their doubts about him now too. Where on earth was the momentum from the last two games? That’s what scares me more than anything . 20 or so games now and a couple of wins I think. Got to be reaching the point where a decision has to be made soon. There’s no discernible pattern of progress , even with new players. Whether Unsworth goes or not though, the midfield has to be addressed quickly . We seem to be just relying on loose balls to seized upon and score. No control or possession or structure . 

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

outright asked him about midfield transfers and recieved not the greatest answer. pretty depressing answer to be honest.

Not sure midfield matters at the moment anyway, bearing in mind the ball spends all its time being hoofed over the midfield in the general direction of a centre forward. 

Guess someone would be nice to try and win a second ball, but a player who can look after the ball would be wasted on us. 

I thought that was really interesting, and a good listen.

The point about "hysteria" on social media interested me, because my own club is on the receiving end of a lot of it at the moment as well. The point about platforms like Twitter is that everything is presented as being about binary choices : black/white, good / bad etc and life is rarely like that. So, for example, I think it is entirely possible that the new owners are the right people for the job but also might have made some mistakes and / or poor decisions since they took charge. I also think that it is possible that fan panic is having an impact on a susceptible and pressured manager. And I think that creating a proper organisational structure at a club that has not been used to having one might lead to some issues around communication and accountability that have to be worked through.

I still think some of you under-estimate this league, and the fact that many of the teams are just better than you are. That said, I think the league table looks as good now as it has in ages. I don't think it is any coincidence that there are three clubs down there (Scunny, Maidstone, Gateshead) who are also failing to come to terms with a new Division that they are not used to. For the first time I feel that you have a good chance of getting out of trouble. However....

..... I thought Andy was right about the upcoming slate of games, there are some winnable ones there and it is the best chance you have to get breathing space. Looking beyond it, the period between the second match with Gateshead through to Easter looks very tough. Getting beat on Saturday may turn out to be a blessing is disguise, albeit when you see the draw Gateshead have got you are bound to think about what might have been.

I got nil on the quiz. They were tough.

20 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Not sure midfield matters at the moment anyway, bearing in mind the ball spends all its time being hoofed over the midfield in the general direction of a centre forward. 

Guess someone would be nice to try and win a second ball, but a player who can look after the ball would be wasted on us. 

we don't do it bc nobody can and there seems no plan for us ever to do so. l think lm more tryin to articulate concern about that. dogshit hoofball gettin dogshit results.

I agree with Andy and Matt on trusting the board to make the right decision and giving them the time and space to do that.

I've always been of the opinion that if we can give time to a manager then we should.  Especially when they've got to get us through a big transition like what's happened with the ownership and the squad since the summer. So although there are those who were calling for him to go weeks ago (and since been patting themselves on the back for their clairvoyancy) I didn't think it was right then.  What I was expecting to happen was as we signed better players and given more time on the pitch and the training ground, that improvement would come. That's not happened though for whatever reason. Which is almost inconceivable when you think about it. To completely revert back to our worst performance levels against Gateshead after 2 decent results is just bizarre. 

Regarding the players, although we could improve the midfield, I'm convinced you could make a team out of this squad that could compete well so I don't think the squad can be used as an excuse now.  The likes of Peck and Chapman are supposedly not good enough, but the same happened with Ollie Banks and Ben Garrity in the past - both went on to play major roles in promotion teams elsewhere. We should be starting to see improvements on the pitch now.

Was going to go tomorrow night so the weather has saved me from myself!

Soon enough the Rothwells will have to make a difficult decision because income is going to be wiped out, many have bought in to this new era myself included but we are not fools, it's blind faith they are putting in to Unsworth based on his relationship with one man, that cannot be allowed to get in the way of common sense and if we now have a board who are not prepared to do the right thing then we are back to square one, several polls flying around at the minute and at best 10 in every 100 want him to stay, surely his position has now become untenable?.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

outright asked him about midfield transfers and recieved not the greatest answer. pretty depressing answer to be honest.

The 2 loanees I recommended who I believe were available at the time I saw them are far superior Monty, if they aren't signed theres nothing I can do.

One of them is now wanted by 4 countries he's eligible to play for and I think we've missed the boat on him.

The other has already won international youth caps.

It pains me when they go to higher clubs, but that often happens with scouts. We plod on and look for the next gem.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Soon enough the Rothwells will have to make a difficult decision because income is going to be wiped out, many have bought in to this new era myself included but we are not fools, it's blind faith they are putting in to Unsworth based on his relationship with one man, that cannot be allowed to get in the way of common sense and if we now have a board who are not prepared to do the right thing then we are back to square one, several polls flying around at the minute and at best 10 in every 100 want him to stay, surely his position has now become untenable?.

I wont be renewing my season ticket as it stands and havent been since November despite having one 

Archived