MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/02/23

Just now, League one forever said:

I think we’ll get a paper over the cracks win tmora, and then normal service will resume. 

You'd think at least they would show some pride and put some effort in to win.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think we’ll get a paper over the cracks win tmora, and then normal service will resume. 

Me too, or a battling backs to the wall swashbuckling draw against another footballing giant to visit us this season 

Can’t see us improving anywhere near enough to be able win this game because I haven’t seen anything approaching a dominant performance all season.

We’ve played 27 games now and there hasn’t been anything to suggest that might be changing anytime soon!

30 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can’t see us improving anywhere near enough to be able win this game because I haven’t seen anything approaching a dominant performance all season.

We’ve played 27 games now and there hasn’t been anything to suggest that might be changing anytime soon!

Apart from Dorking away. Even our rare wins have not been convincing.Things must improve and I blame both Unsworth and his team for under performing  and feel they owe our fans and Frank big  time. 

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It was only two games ago that we were dominant and comfortable in our victory over York...

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You'd think at least they would show some pride and put some effort in to win.

This is the one thing that seems to me is being overlooked by some at the moment - the contribution on the pitch from the players.

Too many fans are fixated on the manager’s failings (which are manifold) whilst maybe giving the starting eleven too much leeway.

I accept that players go through periods when form dips but it seems a number of the recent starters have shown little desire to play good football.

We never hear much from our captain do we - I would have him do a post match after every game:

“How do you explain the latest dismal showing, Liam?”

“Are the players afraid to play, Liam?”

”Why can’t any of you pass the ball properly, Liam?”

”What do the players think about not having a single attempt on goal in ninety minutes, Liam?”

etc. etc.

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This is the one thing that seems to me is being overlooked by some at the moment - the contribution on the pitch from the players.

Too many fans are fixated on the manager’s failings (which are manifold) whilst maybe giving the starting eleven too much leeway.

I accept that players go through periods when form dips but it seems a number of the recent starters have shown little desire to play good football.

We never hear much from our captain do we - I would have him do a post match after every game:

”What do the players think about not having a single attempt on goal in ninety minutes, Liam?”

etc. etc.

What can he say BD, that doesn’t  look like either the usual PR waffle or throwing the manager under the bus?

When nearly every player doesn’t look at it, or tackle, or compete that only comes from one place. They don’t believe in him, and drop their standards. It happens at every club when the manager isn’t doing well. 

27 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

etc. etc.

Because he’s an arrogant bully forcing players to collectively play miles below their previous high standards. Quite why he would do that nobody can explain but that is what's happening. Apparently.

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When nearly every player doesn’t look at it, or tackle, or compete that only comes from one place. They don’t believe in him, and drop their standards. It happens at every club when the manager isn’t doing well. 

Hard to argue with this conclusion @League one forever.

During January David Unsworth acknowledged this was now his team and the marginal improvement in form could be credited to the changes he has made.

We regularly start fairly brightly, then fade, but last Saturday was awful from the start.

I see balanced and reasonable supporters such as @TheBigDogexasperated by the woeful performance and apparent lack of desire.

Easy to lump all the responsibility on manager, he maybe let down by the players, but still has to answer for both results and performance.

Given that half the starting eleven are 'his' signings and many weeks of fitness conditioning, coaching, tactics have elapsed, David Unsworth is accountable.

I don't believe he is a fool or lacking ambition to succeed.

However, I also firmly believe his project requires the board to sanction many more signings, of players perhaps from a higher level.

Calling out the players for a lack of spirit or urgency to get forward is fair, but, they appear to be trying to follow the coaches detailed instruction, which itself is demoralising.

Interesting to watch Peter Clarke stood on the touch line on Saturday, looked like he was trying to rescue the situation.

Just now, deyres42 said:

If Clarke and Hogan play together then you are automatically dropping deeper, is Sutton available?

Yes, you then have  4 midfielders dropping back to fill the gap.

It's no wonder the ball is then aimlessly booted upfield.

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’d like to see Clarke, Rooney, Reid and potentially Abraham come into the side tonight. 

Clarke maybe, but the other three will likely be on the bench as Nuttall is played up front on his own.
We all know how this goes by now, don't we?

Unexpectedly baffling selection, lack of passing accuracy and pressing, the opposition made to look like Argentina, we may not get a shot at goal and the crowd goes toxic...Dave tells us all to "Fuck off" as the opposition walk through the defence then score and post-match, Dave blames the tea lady. Rinse, repeat for the next game. Meanwhile, the race to the bottom goes on.

I might watch the stream but after Saturday, my energy and desire has been well and truly sapped.
I wish he and his team would just go or make me eat my words.

8 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Clarke maybe, but the other three will likely be on the bench as Nuttall is played up front on his own.
We all know how this goes by now, don't we?

Unexpectedly baffling selection, lack of passing accuracy and pressing, the opposition made to look like Argentina, we may not get a shot at goal and the crowd goes toxic...Dave tells us all to "Fuck off" as the opposition walk through the defence then score and post-match, Dave blames the tea lady. Rinse, repeat for the next game. Meanwhile, the race to the bottom goes on.

I might watch the stream but after Saturday, my energy and desire has been well and truly sapped.
I wish he and his team would just go or make me eat my words.

To be fair, struggling to put a team together which gets the most out of our players. Again, indication of Unsworth and his management and transfer policy. 

Leutwiler, Angol, Maynard, Burgess, Gardner, Stobbs, Luamba

Are these players around ? It’s all so baffling. 

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

To be fair, struggling to put a team together which gets the most out of our players. Again, indication of Unsworth and his management and transfer policy. 

Leutwiler, Angol, Maynard, Burgess, Gardner, Stobbs, Luamba

Are these players around ? It’s all so baffling. 

I saw Gardner, Maynard and Windass in the gym yesterday (with Hogan).

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We can’t play 442, we can’t play a 442 diamond. 
It would have to be a 4321 or 433 but again we don’t have any wide players. 
What has he been doing with this backing. 

Tollit plays better wide in a front 3. And Reid against Torquay (I think) looked threatening in the first half when he was running at the defence from deep and from out wide.So I'd have them and Nuttall as a front 3 with Rooney behind looking to get on the ball.  I don't think actual proper wingers are that prevalent these days are they? Width is usually offered by wide forwards and attacking full/wing backs.

Given his supposed preferred formation is 433, with now Fondop suspended and the unbeaten run with 442 gone, tonight would seem like the ideal time to give it a whirl.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Tollit plays better wide in a front 3. And Reid against Torquay (I think) looked threatening in the first half when he was running at the defence from deep and from out wide.So I'd have them and Nuttall as a front 3 with Rooney behind looking to get on the ball.  I don't think actual proper wingers are that prevalent these days are they? Width is usually offered by wide forwards and attacking full/wing backs.

Given his supposed preferred formation is 433, with now Fondop suspended and the unbeaten run with 442 gone, tonight would seem like the ideal time to give it a whirl.

Yeah think this is our best option. Just think it’s harsh on Reid to be signed, play alone up top, get dropped when Nuttall signs and then asked to play out of position out wide. But overall that’s how I would setup. 

Shelton and Sheron behind Rooney. 
Yarney, Clarke, Hogan, Kitching. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yeah think this is our best option. Just think it’s harsh on Reid to be signed, play alone up top, get dropped when Nuttall signs and then asked to play out of position out wide. But overall that’s how I would setup. 

I will be disappointed if J Clarke and Chapman do start this evening. I will be further disappointed if Rooney and Abraham don’t start.*

(*) prepares himself to be disappointed 😔 

34 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We can’t play 442, we can’t play a 442 diamond. 
It would have to be a 4321 or 433 but again we don’t have any wide players. 
What has he been doing with this backing. 

It amazes me that we have absolutely no width. We don't have anyone to put dangerous balls into the box for our big lads up front to attack. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Yep that's what I'd pick.  Granted I'm basing Reid's ability to play in a 3 on that one half of football, but he looked to have the attributes to make it work with the right players around him.

1 hour ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I don't think it matters who starts and who doesn't. Since Unsworth arrived, I haven't figured out what kind of football he wants us to play. It's just a complete mess. I'm expecting an awful game of football from both sides tonight. Proper scrappy.

This for me too. Irrespective of which individuals he selects, we can't stop opposition teams swarming all over us and we rarely look we have 11 players on the ptch. Absolutely no idea what he is tactically trying to achieve but we seldom look organised and set up right

Archived