MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (H) 07/02/23

He tried 3 at the back until we had sunk almost as low as we could.  Four did work better but then leaving one Clarke out for the other was a recipe for disaster.

I'm convinced these players are being made collectively worse by a man who still does not understand what it takes to manage EFL2/National league players.  The individual performances, apart from Norman, were so inept you wonder why they are professional footballers.  I can only hope we get the bounce seen after the Gateshead FA Trophy poor showing.  I can hope...

I begin to wonder if it is worse having an incompetent manger than having incompetent owners.  That of course begs the question as to why the current owners, who I applaud for so much else, have so much faith in the incompetent manager they selected.

Perhaps if he was replaced by a Tub of Lard the team would win just like Merton's team.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Tollit plays better wide in a front 3. And Reid against Torquay (I think) looked threatening in the first half when he was running at the defence from deep and from out wide.So I'd have them and Nuttall as a front 3 with Rooney behind looking to get on the ball.  I don't think actual proper wingers are that prevalent these days are they? Width is usually offered by wide forwards and attacking full/wing backs.

Given his supposed preferred formation is 433, with now Fondop suspended and the unbeaten run with 442 gone, tonight would seem like the ideal time to give it a whirl.

Well Argentina won the World Cup with one of the best displays from a winger you're likely to see.

A couple of years ago, Alex Reid & John Rooney started regularly together in an attacking line up for Stockport in this division. The team finished 3rd and they both scored nearly 20 goals each. Can we not start them both and see what happens? Hogan played in that team. Kitching as  well. Bloody hell, sometimes even Maynard played and got on the scoresheet. I’d be watching back all the games where Rooney and Reid played and scored from 2020-2021 and try to replicate that as best I could to get us and them firing. It’s proven. Not have them sat on the bench.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well Argentina won the World Cup with one of the best displays from a winger you're likely to see.

like you I recall Groves/McVitie and Holden/Adams and others of course but they are a rare thing these days.  When Hazard was at his peak he was described as a winger but he clearly wasn't!.  Great shame.

49 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

like you I recall Groves/McVitie and Holden/Adams and others of course but they are a rare thing these days.  When Hazard was at his peak he was described as a winger but he clearly wasn't!.  Great shame.

We had a decent one in Chris Taylor in his younger days, this is why I like Berry who is very similar.

There's a very good out and out  left winger in Manchester City u21s called Borges, watch out for him, unfortunately he's out of our range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Borges_(footballer,_born_2004)

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We had a decent one in Chris Taylor in his younger days, this is why I like Berry who is very similar.

There's a very good out and out  left winger in Manchester City u21s called Borges, watch out for him, unfortunately he's out of our range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Borges_(footballer,_born_2004)

Harking back to Chris Taylor does tend to emphasise their rarity.  Hopefully they will come back into favour some time soon

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Harking back to Chris Taylor does tend to emphasise their rarity.  Hopefully they will come back into favour some time soon

It's modern football with playing people so they can cut in and shoot all the time.  Unfortunately it's very predictable for the defending team.  I've watch City a few times recently and even they are guilty of this as they waste so many chances to put crosses in for Haaland et Al. 

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Tollit plays better wide in a front 3. And Reid against Torquay (I think) looked threatening in the first half when he was running at the defence from deep and from out wide.So I'd have them and Nuttall as a front 3 with Rooney behind looking to get on the ball.  I don't think actual proper wingers are that prevalent these days are they? Width is usually offered by wide forwards and attacking full/wing backs.

Given his supposed preferred formation is 433, with now Fondop suspended and the unbeaten run with 442 gone, tonight would seem like the ideal time to give it a whirl.

The only problem is, the overly defensive approach DU seems to bring to every formation means 433 is only 433 on the teamsheet.

In game it would be a 451 with 1 isolated ST barely getting a touch.

Would need a bit more bravery to say to the 2 wide players in the 3 to stay forward a bit and press to have a chance

2 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I can't see the attendance being that good tonight tbh. It's cold, getting colder later on and we're shite. 

And it's available to watch on National league TV for £9:50.

I'm not sure if they count to toward the official attendance though.

2 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I can't see the attendance being that good tonight tbh. It's cold, getting colder later on and we're shite. 

Added to the frosty reception for Unsworth, I'd be wearing a few extra layers.

Home game 2 of 4

will it end up being a Dagger to the heart?

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And it's available to watch on National league TV for £9:50.

I'm not sure if they count to toward the official attendance though.

I think you count in the attendance if you walk past the ground on your way to B&Q

Big game for Unsworth.

In between the cries for an immediate dismissal (or a month or so ago), and the theories that he'll stay no matter what, the truth, as ever, will lie somewhere in the middle.

These four home games are quickly becoming the case for and against having him as manager, and he will know this. 

As a result, I could see a somewhat different approach.

But will be get a response? If he can't get a tune out of the players, it may already be too late.

Come on Oldham.

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Gave us half a chance with the team selection, no Clarke or Chapman which is a massive positive for me. Looks like we'll set up;

Norman

Yarney

Sutton 

Hogan

Kitching

Sheron

Shelton

Rooney

Tollitt

Reid

Nuttall

Looks like a line up from a manager who's fighting for his job. Last throw of the dice.

8 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

He was also 3/10 in the home game v Aldershot, so let’s hope he turns out something nearer to that performance. On the bench anyway.

That's reassuring! Although he has scored 14 in 28 this season. Unlikely to have trained with team mates, we'll be 2 up by the time he gets on....

2 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

Looks like a line up from a manager who's fighting for his job. Last throw of the dice.

And looks like it's going to be a low crowd

No wonder after that utter dross on Saturday. Both manager and players  need to put on a winning positive response!!!

Archived