Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

Not sure on paying a fee for a right back. It's the position of the talentless. Plenty of right backs out there for free. I'd rather we spent all our tranfers fees on a centre back or top left winger.

I'd say the opposite. Needs must - last season one of our massive weak spots was the lack of a natural right full/wing back. No offence to Will Sutton who did a very decent job for the team out of position.

It's the key position we need sort out this summer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I'd say the opposite. Needs must - last season one of our massive weak spots was the lack of a natural right full/wing back. No offence to Will Sutton who did a very decent job for the team out of position.

Doesn't need a transfer fee spending on it. One or two actual right backs on a free would be fine. There will be dozens good enough out there. 

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Not sure on paying a fee for a right back. It's the position of the talentless. Plenty of right backs out there for free. I'd rather we spent all our tranfers fees on a centre back or top left winger.

27 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Doesn't need a transfer fee spending on it. One or two actual right backs on a free would be fine. There will be dozens good enough out there. 

Position of the talentless? No.

There will be dozens good enough out there. No.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

We do need to sort the position out, especially if DU is going to play wing backs. As while Sutton did a reasonable job as a RB in a back 4, he was poor when asked to play RWB as part of a defensive unit with 3 CBs.

I'm not sure we need to spend a transfer fee on a RB/RWB/RM though. But it might be the cheaper option to do that and pay less in wages.

We may not need more than 1 player there though, as we have a number of players who will be reasonable as either a RB or a RWB.

oppo left sided players are often the best and or most experienced in their team, RB is hugely important. shreks talkin shite on this one, if we are buying then we are buying not sure how that's sumat to whinge about.

Edited by Monty Burns
  • Like 3

Of course we need a quality RB or RWB.  It’ll give us width and attacking threat on both sides of our team.  Same applies to a LW although I’m sure Couto could evolve into that role.

Sutton was a more than capable RB but struggled at RWB.  We need an engine up & down that flank

12 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Of course we need a quality RB or RWB.  It’ll give us width and attacking threat on both sides of our team.  Same applies to a LW although I’m sure Couto could evolve into that role.

Sutton was a more than capable RB but struggled at RWB.  We need an engine up & down that flank

l reckon we will sign a LW RB CB and probably another midfielder depending on what he does with Rooney, maybe even anyway.

l agree on Couto coming thru at LW and also think Green will play there sometimes.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Position of the talentless? No.

There will be dozens good enough out there. No.

There will be plenty of right backs out there available and affordable who will enhance us. It's a priority position at the moment along with Centre back then I'd ne happy to go with our defensive options for the season. As the front line is also fine it would mean just the midfield which itself currently looks competent but probably just needs another in there who can create.

11 hours ago, Shrek said:

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

We do need to sort the position out, especially if DU is going to play wing backs. As while Sutton did a reasonable job as a RB in a back 4, he was poor when asked to play RWB as part of a defensive unit with 3 CBs.

I'm not sure we need to spend a transfer fee on a RB/RWB/RM though. But it might be the cheaper option to do that and pay less in wages.

We may not need more than 1 player there though, as we have a number of players who will be reasonable as either a RB or a RWB.

I suppose technically we don't "need" to pay a fee for any player given the amount of free transfers available in all positions. But if the right player identified is one that needs a fee, then we need to pay it. Rather than get someone in who is "fine" but on a free.

I'd be surprised if we play 442 with touchline hugging wingers next season, so an attacking right back/wing back is the key signing for us this summer in my opinion. So I'm fine if we have to pay for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Latics in 'advanced stage' of talks with Gateshead midfielder Dan Ward and ex-Preston and Motherwell right back Liam Grimshaw, according to this week's Oldham Times.

Plays for Morton according to this...

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/23544559.morton-player-year-liam-grimshaw-play-1m-usa-tournament/

Edited by BP1960

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Player of the year. Highly rated by the fans. Comes from Burnley, so he'd be coming closer to home. Started at United. I think, on the face of it, this would a cracking signing, much better than the lad at Halifax, who has played a relatively modest number of games in his career.

49 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Player of the year. Highly rated by the fans. Comes from Burnley, so he'd be coming closer to home. Started at United. I think, on the face of it, this would a cracking signing, much better than the lad at Halifax, who has played a relatively modest number of games in his career.

Signing other clubs current players of the season might not be a bad idea. 

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I suppose technically we don't "need" to pay a fee for any player given the amount of free transfers available in all positions. But if the right player identified is one that needs a fee, then we need to pay it. Rather than get someone in who is "fine" but on a free.

I'd be surprised if we play 442 with touchline hugging wingers next season, so an attacking right back/wing back is the key signing for us this summer in my opinion. So I'm fine if we have to pay for that.

I see both sides of the arguement here.

If player x is a quality right back and there is room in the budget- then yes pay a fee. 

If the budget only allows a fee for one more player I’d spend it on a midfielder/centre half over a right back any day of the week. 

The spine is always more important than width. 

Edited by League one forever

I'm content the club will make the right decision in respect of fee v. free agent. Had been wondering, as with others, about the number of fees we've paid since Frank came in, think there's a few.

I imagine you may have to wait longer for free agents as they weight up different options and their agent touts them round. Might be that where you pay a fee you can get the player, or the type of player, you want in quicker.

As @Monty Burns says, having a settled squad for pre-season is very exciting and means we should hit the ground running on 5 August.

Financially as well if it's in the region of £50k which was rumoured with Lundstram you can price it into the budget for a player in that position. Over the course of a 2 year contract 50k, or £500 a week, doesn't sound very much. Which is why I should never be CFO. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I see both sides of the arguement here.

If player x is a quality right back and there is room in the budget- then yes pay a fee. 

If the budget only allows a fee for one more player I’d spend it on a midfielder/centre half over a right back any day of the week. 

The spine is always more important than width. 

Never mind the quality, feel the width. 😆

13 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's a transfer strategy I can get on board with

There actually being a transfer strategy at all is a novelty 

Except if other clubs use the same strategy and sign our player of the season...oh hang on a minute.🤨

18 hours ago, Shrek said:

It's not your money is it, so if Frank wants to spend some cash on a right back which the management team think will improve us then it's fine with me whoever it is.

If then he wants to spend on a centre back that's also fine.

I wish some fans would stop taking like it's their money....

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1