Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

2 minutes ago, OAFC Blues said:

I was listening to the price of football the other day and it was noted that clubs in the NL on average lose more money than clubs in L2. The losses in the NL are more on par with what clubs in L1 lose. Clubs who have gone up in recent years have lost a ridiculous amount of money per week to try and get out of this league. The NL has a bottleneck because of the 1 automatic promotion place and to me it seems to encourage clubs to go all in financially in a desperate attempt to get out. Its not good really and will end up causing a lot of clubs problems, us included if we aren't careful. 

How long does that average cover?  Rather skewed by Wrexham if short term

18 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Establish one style and play it home and away. No idea why we need to change.

I think we're in a transition to Mellon's favoured 433. Home form poor so change that to a more attacking lineup first, away form great so leave be.

27 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How long does that average cover?  Rather skewed by Wrexham if short term

I'd have to go back and listen but even before Wrexham went up last season he's talked about how much money teams like Stockport and Salford were losing trying to get out.  I'm pretty sure that he's said in the past that Wrexham didn't actually lose a lot more than others due to the big global sponsorship deals they got. 

28 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

I think we're in a transition to Mellon's favoured 433. Home form poor so change that to a more attacking lineup first, away form great so leave be.

Depends on the opposition @Dave_Og,  sometimes formations are changed during a game.

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Depends on the opposition @Dave_Og,  sometimes formations are changed during a game.

Not the point I'm making.  I simply do not understand, never will, never have why away games have to be treated so differently to home games.  Its a football pitch with a goal at each end.  Just set out your style and go with it.  Clearly that has to be adaptable to opposition, conditions, circumstances but saying play 433 at home and 532 away, or whatever, is bonkers in my book.

59 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not the point I'm making.  I simply do not understand, never will, never have why away games have to be treated so differently to home games.  Its a football pitch with a goal at each end.  Just set out your style and go with it.  Clearly that has to be adaptable to opposition, conditions, circumstances but saying play 433 at home and 532 away, or whatever, is bonkers in my book.

I totally agree but that is because we are old-school and just break the game down to it's simplest level.

Go out and win a game of football. Don't stifle the opposition, don't quieten the crowd, don't keep it tight. Put the ball more times in their net than ours !!

People tend to over think the game and have to always come up with something new and fancy to do within the match. This where the defender knocks it to the keeper two yards away to kick a dead-ball. Why? 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Not the point I'm making.  I simply do not understand, never will, never have why away games have to be treated so differently to home games.  It’s a football pitch with a goal at each end.  Just set out your style and go with it.  Clearly that has to be adaptable to opposition, conditions, circumstances but saying play 433 at home and 532 away, or whatever, is bonkers in my book.

Ideally I don’t think a formation should have to change,  but there is massive difference between home and away and the need to adapt is important if it’s not getting results. 

Our home and away record is no surprise to me. Away there is less pressure on the result and we can sit in and hit teams on the break- something this team and Mellon obviously like doing. At home the oppo do the same thing to us as we do away. We sit off and don’t impose ourselves, they get a foothold and then we can’t break them down. The crowd then get restless and the players start hiding. 

352 is working away from home. 

352 isn’t working at home. 

So what do you do if it isn’t working? You can’t just say keep playing like you do away from home, because for reasons above we’re struggling at home. We need at adapt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Home advantage counts. The vast majority of teams win more at home than they do away. 

Think we all agree our achiles heel is playing against lesser sides at home when the emphasis is on us to attack and break teams down. I think we need to start faster in these games get into the opposition quickly press hard from the front and take the ball at every given opportunity, if you don't you give teams a foothold in the game and they build from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Is Mellon regarded as someone who possesses tactical flexibility?

Mmmm, I have wondered. 

His inability to change what isn’t working at home does concern me a bit.

But if he keeps winning away then ultimately who cares- winning half our remaining games will see us in the playoffs. 

Home form is certainly vital. Turn 3 or 4 of our five draws, five defeats into victories and what a difference.

Incidentally, Chesterfield have only failed to win one of their 16 home games (guess who!) And look what a difference it makes to points won/league position. 

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

People tend to over think the game and have to always come up with something new and fancy to do within the match. This where the defender knocks it to the keeper two yards away to kick a dead-ball. Why? 

I think its stupid at our level of football to be doing that but it serves a purpose in the top leagues. It's basically to give the GK passing options on both sides. If its passed out by the GK to a defender then he is on stuck on one side of the pitch as players now cut off angles as they press, probably forcing the ball long. If he is in the middle then he has options both sides. Seems unnecessary and risky at this level.

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mmmm, I have wondered. 

His inability to change what isn’t working at home does concern me a bit.

But if he keeps winning away then ultimately who cares- winning half our remaining games will see us in the playoffs. 

He has adapted. His first game he sent us out in a 4-5-1, then we played 4-4-2, settled on a 3-5-2 until recently, now he's transitioning us to a 4-3-3 with his own players coming in...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

I think its stupid at our level of football to be doing that but it serves a purpose in the top leagues. It's basically to give the GK passing options on both sides. If its passed out by the GK to a defender then he is on stuck on one side of the pitch as players now cut off angles as they press, probably forcing the ball long. If he is in the middle then he has options both sides. Seems unnecessary and risky at this level.

Especially if the keeper just boots it anyway.

There is an obsession to emulate the Premier League but as you say at our level of football it just doesn't really work.

13 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

He has adapted. His first game he sent us out in a 4-5-1, then we played 4-4-2, settled on a 3-5-2 until recently, now he's transitioning us to a 4-3-3 with his own players coming in...

Woah woah woaaahhh....

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Ideally I don’t think a formation should have to change,  but there is massive difference between home and away and the need to adapt is important if it’s not getting results. 

Our home and away record is no surprise to me. Away there is less pressure on the result and we can sit in and hit teams on the break- something this team and Mellon obviously like doing. At home the oppo do the same thing to us as we do away. We sit off and don’t impose ourselves, they get a foothold and then we can’t break them down. The crowd then get restless and the players start hiding. 

352 is working away from home. 

352 isn’t working at home. 

So what do you do if it isn’t working? You can’t just say keep playing like you do away from home, because for reasons above we’re struggling at home. We need at adapt. 

On a devil's advocate basis I'd suggest that so many teams have better home than away from is because so many sides playing away are relatively negative.

Just now, Only Blue said:

Especially if the keeper just boots it anyway.

There is an obsession to emulate the Premier League but as you say at our level of football it just doesn't really work.

Exactly. Plus, teams rarely press really high up and when they do they arent very good, making it even more redundant 

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

On a devil's advocate basis I'd suggest that so many teams have better home than away from is because so many sides playing away are relatively negative.

Agreed, but ‘negative’ can also mean results. I wouldn’t say Mellon is a positive/progressive manager at all. He’s pragmatic, plays the percentages and likes to counter attack- he’s in the Ronnie Moore/Neil Warnock mould in my view. All 3 have multiple promotions but weren’t always admired by some of our lot- because winning negatively is far worse than losing beautifully according to our Stockholm - syndrome - addiction to losing fans. 

• Like 2