6 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you believe them to be accurate that far ahead?

depends on the situation. if it is wet all week l would expect it to be clear by wknd bc the longer term for july is average and we haven't seen that yet.

l started taking an interest in the charts and records in the early 90's when l was a burning fresh conspiracy theorist who's twin main tinfoils were that tony bliar was dangerous and human induced climate change was a hoax (lead by bliar and his evil gang)

so l dug and l dug looking for evidence on both, now l know that we are fast heading for a catastrophe we could slow down a bit and that bliar is intrinsically evil and the worlds most narcissistic man.

as l by product l became fascinated by satelite imagery (which spun off into space, pun intended) and have come to embody 'there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing' phrase but really l mean bad preperation. however l usually dont say that as l smugly put on the jumper l got the piss taken out of for bringing earlier in the day 🤣 actually that doesnt really happen any more unless somebody brings a newbie. l hate newbies.

Edited by Monty Burns
the
  • Like 2

The style of play is definitely my biggest concern.

I know winning is everything for some people, but I do like some form of entertainment.

It does concern me that Unsy maintains that he’s not bothered how we win as long as we do, and I get that to an extent. But if we keep getting dominated in midfield, those wins will be harder to come by.

31 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

The style of play is definitely my biggest concern.

I know winning is everything for some people, but I do like some form of entertainment.

It does concern me that Unsy maintains that he’s not bothered how we win as long as we do, and I get that to an extent. But if we keep getting dominated in midfield, those wins will be harder to come by.

I do tend to agree, but I definitely saw some improvements towards the end of the season in playing style, and it was more entertaining. I don’t think it’ll ever be free flowing attacking football under DU, and we’ll always play with a more “hard to beat” attitude, but I think we’ll be better on the eye than last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daniel said:

I do tend to agree, but I definitely saw some improvements towards the end of the season in playing style, and it was more entertaining. I don’t think it’ll ever be free flowing attacking football under DU, and we’ll always play with a more “hard to beat” attitude, but I think we’ll be better on the eye than last season. 

It can’t get much worse! I can’t really recall a game we dominated the opposition last year. Seems like we are just setup to be compact and to hit teams on the break. 
I am still not sold on Unsworth but try not to focus on him these days. I am concerned that if we don’t win any of the first 3 games, it could get quite hostile. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It can’t get much worse! I can’t really recall a game we dominated the opposition last year. Seems like we are just setup to be compact and to hit teams on the break. 
I am still not sold on Unsworth but try not to focus on him these days. I am concerned that if we don’t win any of the first 3 games, it could get quite hostile. 

We didn't dominate many games in the middle last season but we won alot of games in the second half of season despite this. We've strengthened in midfield with Lundstrum and Ward and I hope probably expect us to get abit more control in that area of the pitch next season.

I do wonder because we've not seen a promotion chasing side for so long that maybe we have a somewhat idealised view of what a promotion chasing team looks like. That a promotion chasing side is one that we think blows everyone away every game, when the reality is that they have a number of games where they don't perform particularly well but manage to dig out alot of 1-0 2-0 2-1 wins and give out about 4-5 thrashing a season at the most. In 90-91 we lost 8 games and drew 13. No doubt their will have been quite abit of disgruntlement after some of those games but is was kept to the confines of the local where nowadays everyone's thoughts abd opinions are out online. 

I'm braced for a few boos and people getting hysterical this season it won't always be fun. But it will probably be all forgotten about if we triumph and we will remember the good days.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We didn't dominate many games in the middle last season but we won alot of games in the second half of season despite this. We've strengthened in midfield with Lundstrum and Ward and I hope probably expect us to get abit more control in that area of the pitch next season.

I do wonder because we've not seen a promotion chasing side for so long that maybe we have a somewhat idealised view of what a promotion chasing team looks like. That a promotion chasing side is one that we think blows everyone away every game, when the reality is that they have a number of games where they don't perform particularly well but manage to dig out alot of 1-0 2-0 2-1 wins and give out about 4-5 thrashing a season at the most. In 9091 we lost 8 games and drew 13. No doubt their will have been quite abit of disgruntlement after some of those games but is was kept to the confines of the local where nowadays everyone's thoughts abd opinions are out online. 

I'm braced for a few boos and people getting hysterical this season it won't always be fun. But it will probably be all forgotten about if we triumph and we will remember the good days.

I wonder if Latics will still be around in 9091

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daniel said:

Yeah, I'm with this. We've clearly strengthened, particularly at the back with Raglan and Hobson. so I'm expecting the sloppiness we were prone to being converted into narrow wins. I can see us struggling to unpick some sides which lump players behind the ball but on the same hand we should be battering the cannon fodder in the division where last season, on the whole we limped to unconvincing victories.

Conversely I know a lot are expecting the National League to be much easier, and with Notts / Wrexham out of the way to some extent it is. But I can see 3 or 4 teams battling for top spot, hopefully with us being one of them. 

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I do wonder because we've not seen a promotion chasing side for so long that maybe we have a somewhat idealised view of what a promotion chasing team looks like. That a promotion chasing side is one that we think blows everyone away every game, when the reality is that they have a number of games where they don't perform particularly well but manage to dig out alot of 1-0 2-0 2-1 wins and give out about 4-5 thrashing a season at the most. In 90-91 we lost 8 games and drew 13. 

Chesterfield, who finished in third place last season, LOST 12 and DREW 9 games.

County and Wrexham each only lost 3 games though…. 😮

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah, I'm with this. We've clearly strengthened, particularly at the back with Raglan and Hobson. so I'm expecting the sloppiness we were prone to being converted into narrow wins. I can see us struggling to unpick some sides which lump players behind the ball but on the same hand we should be battering the cannon fodder in the division where last season, on the whole we limped to unconvincing victories.

Conversely I know a lot are expecting the National League to be much easier, and with Notts / Wrexham out of the way to some extent it is. But I can see 3 or 4 teams battling for top spot, hopefully with us being one of them. 

The closer we get to the season kicking off, the more pragmatic I become about our prospects. I was swept away with the euphoria and optimism of retaining a squad and adding some good players to it which is a novelty for us. However, looking around other teams have also had a good pre-season in terms of retention and additions. I too suspect it will be harder than perhaps we expect. But there's still reason to believe we should be a top 6 side with top 2 potential.

Edited by Hemel latic
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

The closer we get to the season kicking off, the more pragmatic I become about our prospects. I was swept away with the euphoria and optimism of retaining a squad and adding some good players to it which is a novelty for us. However, looking around other teams have also had a good pre-season in terms of retention and additions. I too suspect it will be harder than perhaps we expect. But there's still reason to believe we should be a top 6 side with top 2 potential.

We could add another 4 or 5 decent signings and it still wouldn't alter the fact that this is a hellish division to get out of. There will be plenty of ups and downs and we will have to grind out results,  but I am hopeful. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:29 AM, yarddog73 said:

Whilst what you say is entirely true we seem to be leaning towards a situation where any comment made in a slightly negative stance is jumped all over, someone asked me what I thought of the new kits and I gave an honest response, should I tell a lie because 'you should be happy you've got a football club's?. Ironically it's normally the moaners about the moaners who get on my wick but each to their own.

It's complete bollocks to expect everybody to have the same opinion on everything and whist the majority of fans wouldn't give a flying fuck about yesterday some may have expected more, some of the best performances came from players we are allegedly trying to loan out this coming season, some of those kids really shone.

Players yesterday would of been leggy having done about 40 or 50 miles during the week and there will be a reason Unsworth fielded two disjointed elevens but the same problems from the back end of last season do seem to still stand out, we still haven't addressed the rightback issues and once again we were dominated in midfield, wide left is also an issue but I expect Ward to be used out there once he's up to speed. 

Nothings won in July but the performance still gives them plenty to work on, we will no doubt get better as the month goes on and the squad start to do a little bit more on the training pitch. 

I'm not of the opinion that mid table is acceptable after 10 games either but those booing them off yesterday really need to give their heads a wobble.

As an occasional moaner about the moaners last season, my main moan was when things are dealt in absolutes. No issues with contrasting opinions or healthy debates, but around the end of last year there were a few saying things along the lines of "we'll 100% be relegated unless we sack Unsworth". 

If we come into this season and are 10th after 10 games then there'll be plenty saying with absolute certainty that Unsworth needs to go because if not then there's no chance of promotion. For me, all I care about is being serious challengers for promotion by the end of the season. So if we are slow starters, as long as we're seeing improvements going forward then I'm willing to be patient and trust the board to make the right call.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I really hope that this scenario does not play out though…😃

Ha, yep. Would be nice to get off to a good start and ride a wave of positivity all season for a change!

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

As an occasional moaner about the moaners last season, my main moan was when things are dealt in absolutes. No issues with contrasting opinions or healthy debates, but around the end of last year there were a few saying things along the lines of "we'll 100% be relegated unless we sack Unsworth". 

If we come into this season and are 10th after 10 games then there'll be plenty saying with absolute certainty that Unsworth needs to go because if not then there's no chance of promotion. For me, all I care about is being serious challengers for promotion by the end of the season. So if we are slow starters, as long as we're seeing improvements going forward then I'm willing to be patient and trust the board to make the right call.

It cuts both ways though. 

What if we’re 14th after 20 games. .

Can we still go up from there- Yes. 

Is that a poor start and should he be under pressure- yes. 

There is no right or wrong there but ultimately results do dictate fan feeling/board decisions. 

What irks me, is people being wise after the event and having a go at people for criticising when they did exactly the same thing when results were poor. 

Unsworth started to make me look a bit silly in March when I wanted him gone in December and fair to play him because he did turn it around. But if he has another awful run I’ll want him gone again. 

To some that might be fickle. 

To me it’s common sense. 

He doesn’t win he comes under pressure. 

He wins - he stays. 

The only time I would caveat that, is if a manager has had real success and then struggles- so if he took us up and had a bad run id be more willing to give more time because he’s got credit in the bank. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There is no right or wrong there but ultimately results do dictate fan feeling/board decisions. 

What irks me, is people being wise after the event and having a go at people for criticising when they did exactly the same thing when results were poor. 

Unsworth started to make me look a bit silly in March when I wanted him gone in December and fair to play him because he did turn it around. But if he has another awful run I’ll want him gone again. 

To me it’s common sense. 

He wins - he stays. 

The only time I would caveat that, is if a manager has had real success and then struggles- so if he took us up and had a bad run id be more willing to give more time because he’s got credit in the bank. 

absolutely nowt wrong with changing your mind on occassion, it's one of them 'two types of Human' things. l think l petulantly called for his head in public after Notts County away. not sure if l did but l defo spent a few hours seeing all his faults in my head after that performance, felt a bit guilty ever since the home fixture performance a few days later!!

the players showed on that performance that they respect him, but fuckinell that keeper saved him there dint he 🤣

only 'typical bloody Latics' can stop us now and the board, the manager, the staff are doin their best to stamp that attitude out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, League one forever said:

To me it’s common sense. 

He wins - he stays. 

I was only referencing when people use certainties. We must have a good start. We must sack him now. That sort of thing.

Just because you wanted him gone in December does that mean you looked a bit silly when form improved? No. If we had changed managers we might have done even better. Or we could have done worse. My point is we just don't know.

So I guess I'm just talking about the tone of the debate. When people start talking in absolute terms the debate stops as they aren't willing to have a discussion about an alternative point of view. Then it just ends up with two opposing sides shouting at each other until someone logs off for the night! To be fair, that probably sums up online "debate" vs face to face.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I suspect we will start slowly whilst he persists with Nuttall up front then things will pick up when he stumbles across his best team around October time.

Chesterfield might be away and gone by then mind...

Not often I agree but I suspect he will give Nuttall far more time than he deserves.